Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Bugfixes

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Bugfixes

Postby GinGin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:38 pm

Thorsten wrote in Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:48 pm:I actually used some NASA list of landing sites to determine who gets MLS at what channel.

You are completely right, I took for a generality an article I read about NASA preparation at Istres as a prime TAL site with a kind of portable MLS
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby eatdirt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:41 pm

Thanks for the BFC light fix Thorsten.

I have tried another TAL tonight, latest snaphot with all the Gingin's work on OPS3, worked like a charm, the state vector pushed me not more than a few tens of meter out of the runway. Dunno what happens before, but works for me now!

Just 2 very minor things
1) OPS 305, the vent doors are claimed to be opened (even though I closed them before entry).
Edit: looks like they are actually opening soon after transiting to OPS 305, that may be expected indeed!

2) Just a reminder to not forget adding SpaceShuttle/Sounds/crash.wav

Gingin, John Young was proud of me :D You made me laugh on that one :) Beautiful work on all the displays, now I just need some more reading to understand them!

That looks interesting.
Could you post more screenshots about those with different lightings ?

I guess best way is to try it https://github.com/eatdust/earthshaders, it is work in progress... I'd like to play with some transparency textures to make the clouds having little bumpy things while being closer to them.
Last edited by eatdirt on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eatdirt

Postby wlbragg » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:03 pm

Just a reminder to not forget adding SpaceShuttle/Sounds/crash.wav

Where was this being added? I noticed a loud crash sound when a landing gear strut broke. Seemed out of place, it was more like an explosion? I just pulled dev branch fresh today.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby eatdirt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:06 pm

Where was this being added? I noticed a loud crash sound when a landing gear strut broke. Seemed out of place, it was more like an explosion? I just pulled dev branch fresh today.

I don't know!? The message of this file missing is popping out of the console, it is referred there -->

Code: Select all
Sounds/SpaceShuttle-Sounds.xml
Last edited by eatdirt on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eatdirt

Postby wlbragg » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:07 pm

Well, I just broke two struts and it actually didn't sound bad, also loved the shaking effect. I really knew i screwed up.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:02 pm

I pushed two different sounds from the c172p to replace the crash sound for a strut breaking or whatever the trigger is when hitting to hard or on the belly on touchdown. I think the crash.wav sound is appropriate for an explosion but not a broken strut or even a belly landing.
Please review the two new sounds and if we can get a consensus I can replace the current crash.wav sound with one of them. They are
damage.wav and damage-heavy.wav.
wlbragg

Postby eatdirt » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 am

Please review the two new sounds

Woo, both are scary! Little pref for damage-heavy, the crack is followed by something that makes me think of thermal bricks being shattered :)
eatdirt

Postby wlbragg » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:21 am

Ok, good, that is the one I went with.
wlbragg

Postby GinGin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:20 pm

@Wayne: thanks for the work Wayne.

@EatDirt: Glad you like it. Another time lapse then :)
I will test your clouds, it seems nice.
GinGin

Postby wlbragg » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:33 pm

I don't know!? The message of this file missing is popping out of the console, it is referred there -->

I missed this part of the post.

Is this still happening?
When exactly?
Any log messages about it?
wlbragg

Postby eatdirt » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:13 pm

@Wayne, yes still there in the last snapshot (commit 2b6edeefd76dd2c27aa92dffae3dac919fbd4fc6)

Soon after the first logs, like this:

1.36 [WARN]:sound XML sound: couldn't find file: 'Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Sounds/crash.wav'
eatdirt

Postby wlbragg » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:32 pm

OK, I'll find it. It's the path. crash.wav is in fgdata not in Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Sounds/crash.wav. The path should only be Sounds/crash.wav.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:17 pm

I'm afraid we'll probably have a much longer testing phase before a stable release than anticipated. For some reason I just keep running into issues and more issues.

I wanted to work my way backwards to create a de-orbit scenario as a testcase and wanted to test a fix to the automatic de-orbit solution. So I worked out a coordinate set from which there's still some time to get into attitude and get a solution from MCC, then I wanted to fly that, Shuttle in burn attitude, burn loaded, EXEC flashes, I depress the key and... get an ILLEGAL ENTRY as a reward.

So I try again, the in-cockpit keypad, same result.

Never seen this before on a burn, I had to give up since I'd missed the right time eventually...

Then I tried the changed lakebed entry again, so I get into the entry path, flight looks very stable, so... down at Mach 17 I get the fancy idea - what if we try to engage NO Y JET in this very unassuming phase (basically the Shuttle was just hanging there with a constant bank angle) - instant loss of control and a destroyed Shuttle.

Granted, I've never stress-tested the NO Y JET much in the past - but I'm fairly sure that it used to be able to just hold an attitude.

There's unfortunately practically no session on which there's not small or large issues creeping up on me, so we have to do this very thoroughly - if a thing is odd, it needs to be investigated why it is odd, whether it can be reproduced or not, under what circumstances it occurs.

Unfortunately it seems there's plenty of on-off errors which do not always occur and cannot be immediately reproduced, but we seem to get them at a worrisome frequency.
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:45 pm

EXEC flashes, I depress the key and... get an ILLEGAL ENTRY as a reward.

Where you in MM 301 ?

instant loss of control and a destroyed Shuttle.

Same for me.
I dont know about that one. I didnt touch to the no yaw jet AP law, and the v speed target is the same than before for that mode.
For the lakebed scenario at MACH 17, the no yaw v speed target and Normal Law v speed target was almost the same, so no big changes commanded in roll.

Maybe the No Yaw gains that are a bit off with the new aero, L/D at mach 17 is now 1.2 compared to 0.61 before.

Edit: I observed the same consequences in the Stable in that Relative speeds area with no Yaw.
GinGin

Postby eatdirt » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:36 pm

Unfortunately it seems there's plenty of on-off errors which do not always occur and cannot be immediately reproduced, but we seem to get them at a worrisome frequency.

I am getting into troubles too on original scenarios. Was on manual throttle at MECO, reduced throttle, the engines went off in external views, but not everywhere else! MPS pressure chamber gauges in the cockpit were still showing burn, engine buttons were showing ON, and MECO was not detected. Maybe the manual throttle creates a condition to escape the MECO logic?

Another test, a TAL on BFS (landed there by the hard failure training). I burnt all RFCS propellant on entry (I am not at ease yet in full manual entry...), so switched to NO Y-JET and the Shuttle started spinning like hell, without getting destroyed, -3G in the cockpit :) But eventually, when TAEM came, all pitch/roll controls were frozen. Unless we have coded damages due to funny -G, we could have some transiting logic at TAEM that get skipped if NO Y-JET is selected?

Anyway, we could also make a freeze of the devel branch (in another branch for instance), test it, and doing only bug fixing for targeting a release?
eatdirt

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight