Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Troll using my callsign to create trouble in MP

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Troll using my callsign to create trouble in MP

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:58 pm

Hi all! Because it has started to become an issue over MP these days, I wanna let you know that my callsign "J-Mav16" is being stolen by others and used to spread false claims, insulting or harassing people shooting missiles with an F-16. Moreover, this troll is using also other people's callsign, "Rayonix" above all or some like "MAV=GAY" or mocking mine, to hop in MP and spam missiles whenever he sees me flying, forcing me to evade if using MP damage or moving to OPRF's private server if I want to be left in peace.
Hence if you see such actions, I can assure it's not myself getting mad at people but a troll trying to make fools out of my name to create trouble. If you happen to see something like that, please put his callsign on Ignore in Pilot list and report it either in here or via PM to me, even though it mostly happens when I'm around in MP.
I had the opportunity to find him myself flying my very own callsign a few minutes ago around KSFO and had the chance to talk to him under a different name, pretending I was a friend of mine which hadn't been on for a while and asking questions regarding myself and he was coming out with me having become gay. What a... (you know it).
BTW, To quickly identify if it's either me or someone else, you can notice if the MP welcome message is the custom "Breakin' the sound barrier every day!" which I've been using for years or the standard "Hello".
Thanks for reading through and I hope you can understand the situation.
Happy flying!
Kind regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Re: Troll using my callsign to create trouble in MP

Postby RA811 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:47 am

What a moron!
RA811

Callsign: R811
Version: 2018.2.1

Postby Hazuki » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:16 pm

A dispute to callsign "J-Mav16" is alerted by me and this callsign will not be tracked by FGTRACKER until dispute is cleared. May the person who registered this callsign in FGTRACKER please contact me by the registered email shall he/she wish this callsign be tracked again.
Hazuki

Callsign: Quofei
IRC name: Hazuki

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:59 pm

this is really pointing more and more to the need to register and reserve callsigns like is done on forums and chat networks to prevent others from using them to cause problems...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hazuki » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Callsign registration was discussed different times over the past 10 years. I think lack of development leader in FGMS and lack of support from the community is the cause the registration not (yet) implemented.
Hazuki

Callsign: Quofei
IRC name: Hazuki

Postby J Maverick 16 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Hey Hazuki thanks for taking action!
More than stopping the tracking (which I look at often) that could also help seeing when my callsign is stolen, I'd either prefer having specific flights that I know I haven't done deleted instead once this whole story is over.
Although, I'd take a deeper look at "Rayonix" instead, which is the callsign this particular person likes to assume the most when seeing me flying over MP.

@wkitty42 I deeply support this cause, or at least making sure people tagged as trolls to be IP-banned from joining MP (that would require multiple complaints of course to be correctly identified).

Right now I've implemented (thanks to Pinto) a blacklist.nas which works like an ignore function for undesired callsigns to avoid constantly being on alert if someone spawns for the sole purpose of trolling me.
Apparently some people have spare time on Christmas time to make silly things...
Regards, Mav

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:38 am

Can we just have a stricter callsign registration process in MP? I've just had a convo with the troll while he was flying the F-16 at LIPA with my own callsign and was bloody annoying to say the least (I spawned in OpenRadar).
Seriously this matter requires deeper attention. I know it has been brought up before and I bring it up once again, it is frustrating that someone just tries to mock me so I can't even fly because he's already using my callsign to say the least. I don't care if he comes to insult or spams missiles at me using whatever name, that can be solved with some nasal.
Sorry if it's rude and all, it's just frustrating.
Regards, Mav

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:22 am

Troll update: Sorry to keep talking about this but I wanna clarify it. Because of the recent events, the best decision going forward for me is to stop flying in MP until this kid gets bored or finds himself some more useful task in life than trolling in FlightGear. So from now on, if you see a J-Mav16 flying it will be clear that it won't be me. It's frustrating and all but in end it's all about having some patience and ignore him and hopefully he will go away. If not, well, there isn't much that can be done right now to stop it I'm afraid. Alternatives to this are not too distant either.
Have a nice day!
Regards, Mav

J Maverick 16

Postby WoodSTokk » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:24 pm

I dont know what possibilities a server admin has, but i can imagine that a server admin can at least block the traffic of that troll.

IMHO are the MP server comparable with IRC server. The only difference is that the MP server has only one channel and thats the world we are flying in.
There should be commands at least for the server admin to KICK and/or BAN a user.
IMHO it should also possible that the admin add trusted users as OP (like the OP on a IRC channel) that can also perform KICK and/or BAN.
If the troll connects over a dynamic IP or a VPN, you have at least some seconds to regain your callsign.

Its not only you, there was also a troll long time at EDDF faking jomo sessions.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby J Maverick 16 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:39 am

Yeah getting his IP banned would be definitely helpful and at least prevent him from creating caos. If the maintainer of mpserver01 could get in touch either in here on PM or the mailing list we could talk about it and try to solve it.

WoodSTokk wrote in Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:24 pm:Its not only you, there was also a troll long time at EDDF faking jomo sessions.

Yeah I perfectly remember that and it was painful as well.
I've seen this troll under his fake Rayonix callsign flying around EDDF shooting missiles at other people hence I got in touch with Jomo to advise about the issue and placed a public comment on his OpenRadar string to advise that a troll uses that callsign to disrupt people.

I've already asked to people I know to simply ignore him whenever they see something suspicious so in the end he will go away by himself at the very least.
Let's see.
Regards, Mav

J Maverick 16

Postby eatdirt » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:19 am

I don't know if he is a troll, but I had quite some fun with him at LFMT. So, it looks legit to me :)

What is quite funny is that I actually shot him by surprise while he was chasing me for a while, he clearly saw I was a noob and was constantly tailing me . Not that I was annoyed, on the contrary; but after no hearing response on the chat to my question "if someone would be annoyed by me shooting a missile?", I suddenly looped over him and shot him down. He was *seriously pissed-off*, more, the proper wording is spelled *humiliated*. Then he shot me 10 times while I was trying to take off from Vinson, asking me if that was funny to shot people? (what an irony with what I am reading in this thread!). At some point he needed to refuel, so I followed him from some distance and did the same afterwards, I shot him while he was trying to take off...

After that, we apologized to each other of being little ass-holes, cheered, kissed, and went to bed. So there is a real Rayonix?

PS: by the way, I discover during this exercise that shooting missiles at people actually destroy their plane, and also silent them from the chat. Damages on various parts of the plane by bullets are also implemented. I though these were disabled by default in MP-flightgear, only implemented through the "bombable" add-on (which I've never installed). Is there a wiki link somewhere explaining all these?

Yeah getting his IP banned would be definitely helpful and at least prevent him from creating caos

In my opinion, that would be pointless. It so easy to connect with another IP, and will certainly motivate him even more to disturb others. I also like the feeling of freedom you have in the MP, bad people are everywhere, there is no exception to the digital world. Now nothing prevents us to get organized. If he starts disturbing some sessions, I am pretty sure we can organize some military flight patrol around shooting him down on sight if he behaves badly... (another game within the game).

Mav, may be you should not run away from him, but rather take the opportunity to settle this issue with some dog fighting ;) If he looses, he stops trolling you; if he win, you'll have to take a picture of you in a little pink dress? ;) (no offence, this is just a bad joke...)

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby Johan G » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:53 pm

I had some fun with Rayonix just the day before you. condor2, the currently most active developer of the Saab 37 Viggen, took him, BARS1 and me on some sightseeing over southern France. Rayonix was really great at holding a tight formation. Below is (right to left) condor2 (JA37Di), Rayonix (F-15C) and BARS1 (JA37Di) during that flight.

Southern France sightseeing by Johan, on Flickr
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby sidi762 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:39 am

Well Rayonix is now on my ignore list because of his constant and shameless harassment (mostly with F-15) whenever he discovers me and some other dudes driving ground vehicles in MP. I fought with him using a F16 or Su27 for several times, but now I thought simply ignoring him is a better solution.

Rayonix, if you are reading this, I'd like to tell you that what you've been doing is not only totally pointless (as we have already ignored you in FG) but also shows that how a disrespectful and naive person you are, so Please, STOP doing this.

And also, although what you've been doing is extremely annoying and I've used some serious wording here, I think it's good for you to know that we will not be irritated by such harassment because of the wonderful 'ignore' button, so doing such thing does no good to you either.

Kind regards,
Sidi
sidi762

Callsign: DAG0762
Version: 2020.3.18

Postby J Maverick 16 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:01 am

eatdirt wrote in Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:19 am:If he starts disturbing some sessions, I am pretty sure we can organize some military flight patrol around shooting him down on sight if he behaves badly... (another game within the game).

Mav, may be you should not run away from him, but rather take the opportunity to settle this issue with some dog fighting ;) If he looses, he stops trolling you; if he win, you'll have to take a picture of you in a little pink dress? ;) (no offence, this is just a bad joke...)

This is totally pointless as he was constantly disconnecting and reconnecting from MP while being targeted. There was really no point in continuing to give him attention as all he did was harassing whoever he found with homophobic, racist and nazi comments among the many things he said. Ignoring him did the trick, and we haven't seen him anymore for two years now, therefore no point in bringing this up again IMO.

The real Rayonix on the opposite is a great guy and it's fun to fly around with him when he shows up on MP. He's very good at formation flying and often comes online to join me and others when we are doing military flying. He's not even into actual combat, unlike the troll who was impersonating him, me and others. We tried to get him into OPRF but he prefers to just hang around without the bells and whistles and obligations that OPRF membership requires.
If he was giving you troubles sidi, I really hope it was not the same Rayonix I know. It would be sad to ruin a person's reputation just because somebody else has done it for him with bad intentions.
Regards, Mav

J Maverick 16

Postby sidi762 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:25 am

Hi Mav,

I can't say if the one I encountered was the real Raynoix or not but what I can say is that everything I described took place quite recently, like two or three month ago. Considering that you said it has been 2 years since you last identified the troll, I think there exists a possibility of he wasn't a troll.

Anyways, I agree with you on the point that we shouldn't ruin a person's reputation for something that he didn't do. So here I would like to make it clearer, I was talking about the one I encountered, which is not necessarily the real Raynoix and could be a troll.

Kind regards,
Sidi
sidi762

Callsign: DAG0762
Version: 2020.3.18

Next

Return to Multiplayer