Board index Other Hangar talk Real aviation

Interesting Videos

The "real" thing.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Interesting Videos

Postby Maerchenprinz » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:09 am

Yesterday, at around 15:00h local, one of the stored 747 (D-ABVO I think) departed from Twente to Frankfurt EDDF. It flew over my house at only 11000ft :!:, and I have missed that, just saw it later on flightradar... :cry:
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Postby erik » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:11 am

That's the on in the tweet I posted.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Maerchenprinz » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:02 pm

erik wrote in Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:11 am:That's the on in the tweet I posted.

That was the D-ABTL, yesterday it was the D-ABVO (who cares anyway... :wink:) (EDIT: Sorry, you are right, I thought by "tweet" you meant the yt-video again... Wow, that departure looked really cool! No payload, low fuel, here we go!)
As I've read, the airport got a special permission from authorities to have such big planes also depart from, not just land on this airport - with "special permission" as in "Do NEVER ask for permission AGAIN!", as all 747 at Enschede were supposed to be wrecked by a local company. Now they will be flown to Mojave via Frankfurt... The local company must be really %*!#ing mad at that.
Thanks for the video!

Ciao,
Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Postby Isaak » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:23 pm

Maerchenprinz wrote in Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:02 pm:As I've read, the airport got a special permission from authorities to have such big planes also depart from, not just land on this airport - with "special permission" as in "Do NEVER ask for permission AGAIN!", as all 747 at Enschede were supposed to be wrecked by a local company. Now they will be flown to Mojave via Frankfurt... The local company must be really %*!#ing mad at that.

That was indeed the case. I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but I guess Twente Airport has payed some hefty penalties to be able to fulfil their promises to Lufthansa and let the 747's depart again. In my opinion, they should have checked if a permission was obtainable before promising Lufthansa that it could store some 747's there during Covid-19, because from the beginning Lufthansa had plans to bring back some of the 747's in service. I'm not even sure that AELS (Aircraft End of Life Solutions - the aircraft scrapping company) was planning to dismantle any of the 747's when they flew in. So in the end I guess Lufthansa, the Dutch government and AELS will have been quite mad. But they found a solution, that's most important ;)

Edit: see below for the correct line of events ;-)
Last edited by Isaak on Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby erik » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:16 pm

I've seen the documents and the inspection granted landing of wide body aircraft for "end of life and long term storage". That last part means that at some point they would be able to take off again. What they actually meant was "end of life with long term storage."

The inspection was quite willing to solve the problem provided the airport could hand over procedures to do it safely. So no hefty price was payed by anyone.

In the end I like to think I helped to solve the problem since, despite the fact that the airport already started a legal procedure, when I handed over the solution to both the airport and inspection it was solved within four working hours and legal procedures where off the table.

All in all, a Boeing 747 can depart safely form Twente Airport under certain conditions, as was show by the departure film.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby Isaak » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:23 pm

Wow, nice to have an insider among us ;-) This learns me again that it's better to refrain from speculation. Thanks for the explanation and for finding a solution for this issue!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:56 pm

I was searching for some video of exterior aircraft lighting and came across this interesting video. I think it fits three forum categories, interesting, emergency and funny (in a strange sort of macabre way).

Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Johan G » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:41 pm

Talk about keeping calm and carry on. On his first solo night flight (in essence his first without instructor pilot).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:00 pm

Yeah, and if anyone tries to tell me to get rid of the ALS flashlight, well! :lol:
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Johan G » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:52 pm

Some posts were split off to the new topic Failures and the handy flashlight.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Johan G » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:05 pm

Botched landing or failure had a Shorts Skywan supporting a Paris-Dakar team stranded in the desert in Mauritania. Here they fly in spare parts, repair it, and fly off.

Shorts videos, SD3 SC7 S312 SC1, Mauritania desert rescue of a damaged Skyvan. (8 min, uploaded June 17, 2020)

From a funny YouTube comment:
Bob Gilchrist wrote:The Shorts Skyvan. As one US pilot allegedly put it: "it looks like they threw away the aircraft and kept the box it came in".
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Johan G » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:30 am

Some of you may have heard of the Cornfield Bomber, the Convair F-106 Delta Dart that landed itself after the pilot ejected from a supposedly unrecoverable spin, but how many of you have heard of the Phantom Fortress?

Dark Skies, The B-17 that Landed with No One On Board (8 min, uploaded July 9, 2021)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Johan G » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:35 am

Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Johan G » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:55 am

Video of sand box training in preparation for the 2021 fire season. In essence about aerial firefighting tactics, radio procedures etc. (also keeping track of drones).

blancolirio, California Fire Season 2021 Air Attack Operations Review "Sand Box Training" (14 min, uploaded June 3, 2021)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Isaak » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:11 am

Helicopter pilots keep amazing me. I'd think they prefer hoovering at the outer side of the power lines, but no.
Isaak

PreviousNext

Return to Real aviation