Board index FlightGear Media

What/Where did you fly today? - Part 4

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: What/Where did you fly today? - Part 4

Postby Johan G » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:55 pm

V12 wrote in Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:03 pm:Skardu is very difficult destination for liners like A320 or 737, with piston prop Cessna it must be on the edge between death and live :)

benih wrote in Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:07 pm:Why that?

High density altitude. Thinner air with less power from the engine, less effective propeller, and less lift from the wings. It is also dependent on temperature and can be really dangerous if you flew in on a cold morning and are leaving on a hot afternoon. You might even be unable to leave ground effect, making you "float" along the runway and crash into whatever is beyond its end.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby benih » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:57 pm

Just arrived in Islamabad, took off in Skardu :)
The flight took me exactly 2Hrs (did preflight checks offline, and needed running the engine warm before takeoff).
(Tracker: https://fgtracker.ml/modules/fgtracker/ ... ID=7358071)

Weather was mostly good, i had no severe turbulences and mostly smooth air. Some sudden wind gusts where there however.
The initial climb was very interesting, i really had to take a turn over Garbidas/Bashu to get the altitude needed to cross the mountain.
I cruised then at 17900ft for quite some time. The Weather worsened a bit, and i urgently wanted to take a shot of Nanga Parbat, so i diverted north.

The Mountains there are really impressive, you are already flying really high, but then you see that block of a mountain and feel dwarfed...

From then on i got severe clouds, but i could stay above and for my final descend the clouds did go away (but it was quite hazy).
The Airport of Islamabad was easy to find with the VOR and NBD, but i really can see how hard Skardu is to be found just with (analog, not ingame) map navigation and the NDB there. Good that modern crafts have GPS receivers (i just flew the C182S clock museum variant)!

C182S SE of Nanga Parbat @ 17900ft
Last edited by benih on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby cv1000 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:04 am

Wow!
Last edited by Johan G on Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire preceding post.
cv1000

Callsign: VT-CVA

Postby V12 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:22 am

I routinely fly OPIS-OPSD or OPIS-VITE/VI57 with A320, it is bit less difficult than C182 (You have more horsepowers under the hood) but for final approach I need much more room.
Try very nice low level flight OPSD-VITE/VI57.

Now, I'm not sure about Thoise ICAO in FG, it is VI57 or VITE. Skyvector has VI57.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby benih » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:55 am

I once did cross the Alps using the valleys and was just once forced to climb above the peaks to cross a ridge.
All that was done with real map navigation (skyvector open on my pad) and no radio aids.

That was a funny experience, so i can imagine that doing that in the himalaya region should be the same on steroids :)

Thoise ICAO in FG, it is VI57
it is.
benih

Postby V12 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:06 am

V12

Postby benih » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:31 pm

Cool! Where does the shake come from at the runway, is that aircraft specific?
benih

Postby V12 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:29 pm

737-800YV has implemented this nice feature.
V12

Postby benih » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:12 pm

Today was the announced fiorst leg of the Canarian island hopping, to test FGCom-mumble.
Thank you Michat and Volador for joining me :)

The first leg was a nice flight, however the plugin could not be tested for OS reasons. Michat was on windows and we resorted to talk over normal mumble :)
Volador had some issues, but i don't know what exactly was wrong. It would be cool to tell me, so we can sort this out.
Volador and i resorted to the text chat, but that was not a big problem. We flew in formation most of the time, and that was a very nice feeling for me, experiencing this kind of thing the first time. Looking out the window, seeing another pilot nearby flying with you :)

We started at Las Palmas, and there were some clouds at the mountains with sparse lightning in it - very nice scenery at the canarian islands, its really nice to look at. Great job, scenery builders!!! The cliffs look soooo great! Wow!
Image Image

Then, heading south to Hierro (which i learned is translated to iron/Eisen), we got a dense cloud cover ofer the island, so we needed to descend to 2500 and that helped alot. Right after the island my fuel annunciator went yellow, (i calculated the fuel sparingly) but decided to move on like planned (1.5hrs of flight time remaining - plenty for 35 miles). We finished by rounding La Gomera, and again, the cliffs are really cool. Not so cool where the birds in my final approach, they catched me by surprise, but they were far enough off.

Volador had to leave unfortunately and could not join in on the landing. Here we said goodbye:

The Landing on the terrace was nice, i had 6kt sudden crosswind that let me drift off the runway a little. But no problem in the end, so i landed safely with (usable) 9 gallons left in my tanks and could head over for a nice drink into the "Restaurante Rita" at the nicely modelled Airport building :)

I have no idea when i will start the next leg, but will drop a note to the dev-list and here.
benih

Postby Timi » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Checking the scenery in Innsbruck.
Timi

Callsign: Jaeger
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby V12 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:58 pm

Very nice, like P3D with ORBX Innsbruck scenery.
Today, I tested fresh 2020.4.0 from daily PPA, but sim is unstable and CTD followed by CTD. My longest UFO flight was 1 minute. What is Your FG version ?
V12

Postby Timi » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:10 pm

V12 wrote in Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:58 pm:Very nice, like P3D with ORBX Innsbruck scenery.
Today, I tested fresh 2020.4.0 from daily PPA, but sim is unstable and CTD followed by CTD. My longest UFO flight was 1 minute. What is Your FG version ?

Mine is 2020.4.0 which I built on Saturday from the latest sources
for Windows.
Timi

Callsign: Jaeger
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby V12 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:16 am

Thx, will try build 2020.4.0 again.
V12

Postby Volador » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:51 pm

benih wrote in Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:12 pm:Today was the announced fiorst leg of the Canarian island hopping, to test FGCom-mumble.
Thank you Michat and Volador for joining me :)

The first leg was a nice flight, however the plugin could not be tested for OS reasons. Michat was on windows and we resorted to talk over normal mumble :)
Volador had some issues, but i don't know what exactly was wrong. It would be cool to tell me, so we can sort this out.
Volador and i resorted to the text chat, but that was not a big problem. We flew in formation most of the time, and that was a very nice feeling for me, experiencing this kind of thing the first time. Looking out the window, seeing another pilot nearby flying with you :)

Spotted your test request on the forum and thought I'd join in. I'm a noob to mumble etc and on Windows (don't judge!) and failed to connect it once installed (will figure it out for next time, promise). Even figured out some of the autopilot features on the 172 for the first time (more used to the big jets). Nice flight with you Benih, let's do it again and happy to have some more join us, the more the merrier :)
Volador

Callsign: Volador, G-VLDR
Version: 2020.4

Postby benih » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:34 am

Thanks for reporting back, Volador!
Afaik mumble 1.3 (current stable) should be able to connect, at least i was (without fgcm-mumble capability of course).

Currently we lack windows builds for mumble 1.4 because the plugin framework development branch is not yet merged to the master branch.
If you have the chance to get a Linux box running (even a vm would suffice i think[*]), you may be able to install debian Testing and compile everything according to my manual.
You then could hook up your Windows flightgear to the Linux mumble 1.4 for testing the plugin.

[*] the fgcom-mumble plugin version 0.7.0 does not support that. However, yesterday i merged a new feature where you can configure the plugin to accept data from flightgear from remote places; probably today i will release it as 0.8
EDIT: just released 0.8.0. Volador, do you have the capability to install a debian virtual machine?
(To not spoil this thread any more, let's head over to the fgcom-mumble thread)

BTW: for the Autopilot: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Bendix/King_KAP140_Autopilot
benih

PreviousNext

Return to Media