Board index Other Forum

My Suggestion for The Forum

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

My Suggestion for The Forum

Postby Velocity23 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Ok, so I know this is my first topic, and I joined the forum mere minutes ago, but this is what I hope will make this forum more organized, cleaner, better looking, and just better overall. I have been a user of the Infinite Flight Community ([url]community-infinite-flight,com[/url]) which are the Forums for the mobile flight simulator Infinite Flight, for some time now, and these are my suggestions that I got from the IFC (as we call it) -

Use Discourse ([url]discouse.org[/url]) to run the forum. I acknowledge this would be a big switch to make, but for the look, feel, and functionality of the forum, it would certainly be worth it.
    Have a board of highly trusted forum members regulating Virtual Airlines. Currently, the whole Virtual Airline thing, from what I can see, is a bit out of hand. If this is introduced, it will make sure only the Virtual Airlines that deserve a spot will get one.

And, that's it! I know it's only two suggestions, but I feel that they could both make the forum a much better place. What's your opinion?
Velocity23

Re: My Suggestion for The Forum

Postby Thorsten » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:10 am

I acknowledge this would be a big switch to make, but for the look, feel, and functionality of the forum, it would certainly be worth it.

I actually don't want much from a forum - a well-readable design, the ability to read and write text, filters for excessive signatures/avatar images, the absence of silliness like points and ranks - and we all have that.

So no, there's no change I'd desire that it'd be 'worth it' (in fact, I'm also quite happy with the mailing list - and my observation is, the more knowledgeable the people, the graphically less assuming and more text-heavy the medium they use is...)

Have a board of highly trusted forum members regulating Virtual Airline

The FG project doesn't specifically endorse VAs (or impose regulations other than the normal forum rules) - they can certainly use this forum, but many use their own.

Certainly I'm not interested in arguing why this and that VA 'deserves a spot' and why that other does not (and I can't imagine the forum mods wanting to get into this).

How about everyone who follows the forum rules gets his space here?
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:26 pm

IMHO, these forums are just fine... there is little to nothing that needs changing...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby WesleyTwomey » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:59 am

KInetic23 wrote in Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:42 pm:Ok, so I know this is my first topic, and I joined the forum mere minutes ago, but this you can read phentermine article here is what I hope will make this forum more organized, cleaner, better looking, and just better overall. I have been a user of the Infinite Flight Community ([url]community-infinite-flight,com[/url]) which are the Forums for the mobile flight simulator Infinite Flight, for some time now, and these are my suggestions that I got from the IFC (as we call it) -

Use Discourse I acknowledge this would be a big switch to make, but for the look, feel, and functionality of the forum, it would certainly be worth it.
    Have a board of highly trusted forum members regulating Virtual Airlines. Currently, the whole Virtual Airline thing, from what I can see, is a bit out of hand. If this is introduced, it will make sure only the Virtual Airlines that deserve a spot will get one.

And, that's it! I know it's only two suggestions, but I feel that they could both make the forum a much better place. What's your opinion?

You have very well resoaning about forum although everyone have there but for me i enojy the way i have been there posting on my opinion based on people discussion and enhanced my knowledge from these experience people I love to here.
Last edited by WesleyTwomey on Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WesleyTwomey

Postby Hooray » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:49 am

Thorsten wrote:and my observation is, the more knowledgeable the people, the graphically less assuming and more text-heavy the medium they use is...)

That's generally correct - and in fact, the more knowledgeable people tend to prefer postings to be "pushed" to them in a decentralized fashion rather than having to check a central forum like this one - like you say, in most circles, mailing lists tend to be favored over forums. And newsgroups tend to be favored over mailing lists :wink:

This forum is obviously a great success for the FlightGear community, but from an objective perspective, the mailing list would suffice (and did in fact for many years) - things like the forum, multiplayer, fgcom, discord, terrasync, package managers, 3rd party hangars, regular releases, LTS binaries are primarily end-user/community features, and not necessarily required by those actively contributing features to the project - this project survived for many years without having most of these "amenities" in place :wink:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby S&J » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:28 pm

I think it depends upon the type of person.

If a persons not interested in the forum being their primary source of communication they're not going to be positive towards any change.

Whereas a person that see's a forum as their primary source of communication would want to improve it's functionality and looks.

If a forum is third on your list of communication tools then your opinions about a forum should be two thirds less than someone who has a forum first.

Why would someone who doesn't use the forum hold back change that could improve it for those that do use it ?
"Stay away from negative people.They have a problem for every solution." - Albert Einstein
S&J

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:37 pm

If a persons not interested in the forum being their primary source of communication they're not going to be positive towards any change.

That's an assertion that collides with reality - given my 11.000 something posts in this forum you can hardly argue that I don't really use it - and yet I still don't want it changed to something fancier. It works - period.
Thorsten

Postby S&J » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:08 pm

But I don't know how many posts you've made using other formats, it may be 30,000

And using the forum to advertise work is one thing, another is using the forum for communicating development idea's.

And I thought the discussion was about continuous improvement, wouldn't it therefore be more productive to discus each potential change suggested on it's merit ?

And for the record Thorsten I don't have any issue with your initial reply to the original poster, I thought they were all good points made.

I was replying to Hooray post, who was implying that the forum was of secondary or even third value, behind a mailing list. I was simply saying this might be true for him but not for others. and in an environment which doesn't dictate, shouldn't it be those that find this their primary source of communication have a primary say, not those that think this forum is of marginal interest.
"Stay away from negative people.They have a problem for every solution." - Albert Einstein
S&J

Postby Hooray » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:22 pm

S&J wrote in Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:08 pm:I was replying to Hooray post, who was implying that the forum was of secondary or even third value, behind a mailing list. I was simply saying this might be true for him but not for others. and in an environment which doesn't dictate, shouldn't it be those that find this their primary source of communication have a primary say, not those that think this forum is of marginal interest.

I do understand your point, but to be honest, I was also just making a point - the truth being, unlike Thorsten, I am not even using the mailing list myself - i.e. I use the forum exclusively.

Thus, the forum is indeed my "primary source of communication" (I also seem to have made roughly 11k postings over the years...), and so the forum is not of marginal interest to me, improving it according to the suggested ideas however, is. Which should not distract from my previous posting :wink:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:17 pm

But I don't know how many posts you've made using other formats, it may be 30,000

I don't know either (I don't count) - generally I prefer the lean no-frills communication of a mailing list over the fancy things. However, in the absence of knowledge, you shouldn't assert things...

And I thought the discussion was about continuous improvement, wouldn't it therefore be more productive to discus each potential change suggested on it's merit ?

Then why didn't you do that and launched a general-philosophy discussion?
Thorsten

Return to Forum