Board index FlightGear Media

What/Where did you fly today? - Part 4

Screenshots, videos, sound recording etc. taken in/with FlightGear.

Re: What/Where did you fly today? - Part 4

Postby eatdirt » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:39 am

While fixing a funny bug with the Moon, I ended up allowing to fly to it for free. That's the UFO, beyond the Moon, looking back to Earth and you can see the far side of the Moon :)
Moon is closer to Earth in this picture than in reality, I changed its orbital radius for easier debugging, but once it works, I'll put it back where it should.

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby Husky Dynamics » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:33 am

Took the B-25 (with my updated sharkmouth livery) for a spin at Reno.

Get my custom FG liveries here: https://flightgearhusky.altervista.org/

I'm off at college so I've stopped making liveries (for the time being, at least), but I'm continuing to ensure compatibility for the ones I've already published.
Husky Dynamics

Version: LTS

Postby chris_blues » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:39 am

eatdirt wrote in Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:39 am:While fixing a funny bug with the Moon, I ended up allowing to fly to it for free. That's the UFO, beyond the Moon, looking back to Earth and you can see the far side of the Moon :)
Moon is closer to Earth in this picture than in reality, I changed its orbital radius for easier debugging, but once it works, I'll put it back where it should.

Nice! Now we can finally go to the moon! Only thing missing is a model of the Apollo spacecraft. :D

Though, I guess moon doesn't have it's own gravity, or did you do that as well?
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby Johan G » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:25 am

eatdirt wrote in Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:39 am:While fixing a funny bug with the Moon, [...] I changed its orbital radius for easier debugging, but once it works, I'll put it back where it should.

Oh, wow! That description... 8) :lol: :lol:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby eatdirt » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:37 am

Though, I guess moon doesn't have it's own gravity, or did you do that as well?

No, it is really not much, I've just changed a bit the rendering to put it in its right 3D place. Adding its gravity would be another story. But yes, it opens a new door for various impostures :)
eatdirt

Postby chris_blues » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Nicely done! Can't wait to see, what our space-faring community makes of this!

Cheers!

Edit:
Thinking a bit further, what about the planets? IIRC these were projected the same way, moon was. Could your patch be applied to them as well?
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby eatdirt » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:53 pm

Edit:
Thinking a bit further, what about the planets? IIRC these were projected the same way, moon was. Could your patch be applied to them as well?

In fact no, only the moon, and sun, are located in 3D space. The other planets are really like stars, they are put on the further dome, with their angular position correctly updated though.
eatdirt

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:45 pm

eatdirt wrote in Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:39 am:While fixing a funny bug with the Moon [...]

gotta be a perspective thing... that looks to me to be UFO (foreground), Earth (middle ground), and moon (background)...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby chris_blues » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:58 pm

eatdirt wrote in Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:53 pm:
Edit:

In fact no, only the moon, and sun, are located in 3D space. The other planets are really like stars, they are put on the further dome, with their angular position correctly updated though.

Pity... :roll:

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:45 pm:
eatdirt wrote in Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:39 am:While fixing a funny bug with the Moon [...]

gotta be a perspective thing... that looks to me to be UFO (foreground), Earth (middle ground), and moon (background)...

At first view, I thought exactly the same! :lol:
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Postby eatdirt » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:43 pm

At first view, I thought exactly the same

And in fact, this is exactly what the rendering is doing. Earthview puts the Earth very close to the viewer, maybe you spotted some distortion angles that allow you to uncover the Matrix :)
The only way you can tell that we're above the the moon is that we see the far side. I've opened another pandora box, unfortunately... if you pay attention how we render the moon in FG, it is actually translucent to stars. You have to wait for an ocultation to occur to see that. And that's actually quite tough to fix :-/
eatdirt

Postby Johan G » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:55 pm

Dared a look around Paris, which before I got this computer was quite impossible (pretty much stuttering single digit fps).

La Defénse past Arc de Triomphe in FlightGear 2020.3 by Johan, on Flickr

Note: I have throttled my fps to 25, I very likely have better fps.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby lomar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:37 am

Johan G wrote in Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:55 pm:Dared a look around Paris, which before I got this computer was quite impossible (pretty much stuttering single digit fps).

I feel like Paris could have some performance improvements. There are OSM2City sceneries with much more buildings(plus roads, pylons and train tracks) that are not as heavy as this.
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby vnts » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am

The Paris scenery is old. Textures are blurry, and from an older era. Most buildings seems to be a square block, but with a beveled (sloping) edge (mansard roofs). And there appear to be some textured billboards sitting on roofs. The OSM2City version of scenery may be more detailed and faster - I think there are suitable non-blurry AC building facades in Textures/osm2city/altas-facades.png, but no grey roof textures with Paris type details (although there are grey roof textures). Shader buildings can handle mansard roofs IIRC, but might need a new texture atlas.

If the current dated Terrasync Pairs model is done as a single mesh, and there are no animations or whatever, then it should be somewhat fast. If it's split up into different buildings or have complications, then that might be why it's slower.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby F-PTCZ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:13 pm

but with a beveled (sloping) edge (mansard roofs).

And actually, most of the old buildings in Paris are really like that !
F-PTCZ

Callsign: F-PTCZ
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby vnts » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:40 pm

Yep, the current shader buildings are capable of handling the basic shape. The OSM2City AC buildings can probably(?) create dormer windows sticking out of the roof so the billboards aren't needed, or maybe just texture them in.

Kind regards
vnts

PreviousNext

Return to Media