Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Beware Scammers!

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Beware Scammers!

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:54 pm

i would download FG since you don't know what they might have done to the code when they put their package(s) together... especially seeing the shady aspect you ran into...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby stevekatz » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:59 pm

I will, but I doubt if they did anything to the code as they never even read your manual...
stevekatz

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:39 am

Has anyone been using the PixelClassics DVDs? At least they aren't dishonest about branding, but I'm curious if it is as stable as the official release.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:08 am

I would say that if you can download and install the latest stable and it runs well after tuning the graphics settings, that would be the way to go.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby stevekatz » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:16 pm

So nice to be part of a REAL community :)

Will any of the disks I got from ProFlightsimulator work with FG? Eg. planes and/or scenery?
stevekatz

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:05 pm

Maybe, but nobody knows when the DVDs was burned.
There are many aircrafts in developement and will by impoved weekly or monthly.
Many aircrafts on DVD will be outdated at the time you buy it.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby stevekatz » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:12 pm

Anyone want some barely used DVD's :) I didn't ask for a refund on them as I didn't want to lose the $96 refund. I wonder if Paypal will take their payments? Let's hope not...
stevekatz

Postby Johan G » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:59 pm

stevekatz wrote in Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:16 pm:Will any of the disks I got from ProFlightsimulator work with FG? Eg. planes and/or scenery?

At some point people tried looking up what version of FlightGear they where marketing and found it to likely be version 1.9.1, which would put it back to 2008-2009. Considering their marketing scheme that has likely not changed.

Since then the scenery have been rebuilt and many aircraft would no longer be fully compatible (not to mention many of them being a lot less developed).

Scenery can be downloaded automatically (though for many rather slowly), but if starting at an airport never visited you would seem to be in an ocean while the scenery load. Sometimes downloading scenery for a new area can take several minutes. IIRC the entire world is about 80-90 GB.

The easiest way to download aircraft is through the launcher. Per default you have access to and can browse the aircraft in the the official hangar, but in many cases third party hangars can be added by copying and pasting an URL (Internet address) for a "catalog.xml" file for a third party file from the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_h ... arty_sites

DorDek Kiddy, Installing aircraft in FlightGear - the easy way (2 min, published October 10, 2020)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby stevekatz » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:28 pm

Thank you so much for the cogent, well explained information. A downloading we shall go.

I didn't contest the disks as it was punishment to myself for not for not doing my research before sending them money. Then again who would expect a bootleg program. Their ads looked so real. Hopefully there is a way to save others from the same fate.
stevekatz

Postby Johan G » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:46 am

stevekatz wrote in Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:28 pm:Thank you so much for the cogent, well explained information.

You are welcome! :D

stevekatz wrote in Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:28 pm:I didn't contest the disks as it was punishment to myself for not for not doing my research before sending them money.

Do not be too hard on yourself. You do not know what you do not know. :wink:
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby stevekatz » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:40 pm

I did get most of my money back, found you all, and got Paypal to see who they are and hopefully cut them off - thanks :)
stevekatz

Postby SE-HK » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:42 pm

Regarding the mouse issue, if I recall correctly it was changed at some time (now, as you know, it is TAB to change between flight control, viewport and plain mouse pointer).
SE-HK

Version: git

Postby stevekatz » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:11 pm

Their manual says to right click the mouse to change it to yoke control. Never worked. I opened multiple tickets. When I found your site I learned about the tab. It works!

They are not only crooks but they don't even know what they are doing...
stevekatz

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project