Board index Other Hangar talk

Microsoft Flight Simulator returns to the skies

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator returns to the skies

Postby stuart » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:33 pm

Interesting. I've just had a look in OSM and see it has a "barrier=city_wall" tag, along with buildings tagged "man_made:tower tower:type=defensive", and indeed there are sections of the Great Wall have been tagged in the data. Sounds like we need a new tool in osm2city to generate realistic city walls and towers :)
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Hooray » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:40 pm

and while we're at it, probably also some additional meta information to specify the type of wall/era - also to account for any kind of wall the US might build - that is, if you can tell the architectural difference at all :lol: :lol:

Image Image
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby V12 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:54 pm

Gentlemans, please some pictures of the Himalaya near Everest and of course Grand Canyon.
Thx in advance.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Hooray » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:46 am

stuart wrote:(I'd be interested to see how their G1000 simulation compares with the FG1000, but I think you'd need quite deep familiarity with the Garmin manuals to determine which is correct.)

FWIW, since you're the one most likely to be familiar with the FG1000 specifically, here's a review of the G1000 variant as implemented in X-Plane (obviously, we don't currently support synthetic vision, at least not until the Canvas View element and/or the Compositor is fully reviewed and integrated):

Also, reviews covering specifically the G1000 in MSFS 2020 are currently showing up on youtube:

The first impression is that from a purely technical standpoint, we're in comparison well equipped with the Canvas system - but we could obviously use a few more dedicated Canvas primitives for things like chart rendering (think GeoPDF/ESRI), synthetic vision (Canvas View/Compositor), and elevation maps computed from actual scenery tiles.

At that point, we would at least have all the building blocks in place to allow people to implement modern avionics, i.e. without them having to be C++/OSG coders.

Looking at garmin.com, it seems obvious that Jules' CompositeViewer work might have a huge impact on FlightGear's capability to model modern avionics - because modern cockpits routinely display a handful of independent scene views showing different overlays/features (i.e. stuff which simply isn't easily done using just Nasal and XML):

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviat ... ight-deck/

Regarding the VSD at the bottom of the center display, I am not sure if any of our Canvas avionics have implemented a generic VSD already or not, but there's plenty of related code already.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby stuart » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:39 pm

Thanks Hooray.

I did a short comparison myself, as I had the XBox pass that gave me access. Well, once it took 4+ hours to download, then another 30 minutes to update, then a further 15 minutes to actually start the simulator :) ...

I agree with your assessment that we're pretty close. Interestingly, there were some areas where our implementation was more faithful - in particular the MFD map seems to be missing some modes. One thing I realize I need to implement is back-lighting on the bezel.

Implementing a VSD has been on my TODO list for a long time. It should be fairly straightforward, but I haven't found the time to write it.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Grumpysanta » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:46 pm

I've been searching around London again in MSFS2020 but this time with the Creative Camera, apart from the known listed missing / wrong buildings in London I've also found St Pauls cathedral missing, the monument missing in Trafalger Square and the BT Tower is completely wrong, a building is there but not the tower. Another area that I've been to is Liverpool, two very prominent cathedrals are missing, the local radio broadcasting tower is missing, Liverpool's equivalent to the London eye is missing and the Liver Building is completely unrecognisable. When you begin to realise that major structures in cities are either depicted wrong or missing you lose faith in the accuracy of a product, Asobo have a lot of work ahead of them correcting these issues, which by the way are shown better in FlightGear. Just goes to show FlightGear is not as far behind as the graphics suggest, a little bit of rework on the ground textures and the addition of osm2city could bring FlightGear very close and more importantly the flight modeling feels better in FlightGear anyway.
Grumpysanta

Callsign: G-SANT4
Version: multiple

Postby wlbragg » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:47 am

Grand Canyon

Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:57 am

MSFS 2020 Everest

Last edited by wlbragg on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby montagdude » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:37 am

wlbragg wrote in Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:57 am:MSFS 2020 Everest

Can the J-3 Cub really fly that high?
montagdude

Postby V12 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:06 am

wlbragg :
Thx.
GC is not very bad, but Everest is very poor. FG's Everest is bit better even with very synthetic look, but has reasonable level of details.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby bugman » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:21 am

Mt. Everest also suffers from the double shadow issue. There are very dark shadows under the shade of the shady side, and you can see sun lit snow on the shady side! And is that trees I see at 3:33? I didn't realise there were forests on Everest :roll: They have a lot of manual work left to do on their scenery.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby StuartC » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:53 am

Everest must be suffering quite bad from erosion, its so smooth.............
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby bugman » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:31 am

It reminded me of melting ice cream. Mmmm, must be global warming. That would explain why no heating is needed in the cabin.
bugman

Postby erik » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Okay, some positive remarks:

The airplane shading looks absolutely stunning, oftentimes it is hard to see it's not a video.
And the trees are very nice.

But everything else underwheliming at best.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby montagdude » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Could some of the "mushiness" of the textures be due to the graphics settings? I think wlbragg said previously that he was running medium.
montagdude

PreviousNext

Return to Hangar talk