Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Setting up stablized approach

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Setting up stablized approach

Postby fretman_2 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:52 pm

I'm relatively new to FG. I'd like to set up FG so when it's initialized, the the C172 is in a stablized 3 degree approach. I'm practicing aim points and flaring. As soon as I land, I want to reset and start out again at the same point in a stablized approach. Then gradually add various crosswind and weather scenarios.

Can the flaps (30degrees) and tach settings (1700rpm) be set at the command line?
fretman_2

Re: Setting up stablized approach

Postby Johan G » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:45 pm

Flaps setting, very likely yes. Power setting, I do not know.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Delta5142 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:07 am

Hi all,

First of all, welcome to Flightgear and the forum! :)

When you first launch Flightgear, go to the Locations tab. After you go there and select the appropriate runway you want to take off at, there is an option below saying, "start in mid-air" and you can set the plane on an approach to the given runway with the speed and altitude. However, the main problem to this is that it starts you off mid-air with a fully cold and dark aircraft. After I start Flightgear with these settings, the plane instantly falls to the ground. If there is a way to get around this, I don't know about it yet, but someone on this thread might. :) The way I do it, is that I launch Flightgear on a runway and run the whole traffic pattern and perform a successful landing. Then I go to Replay mode (View/Instant Replay) and it will give me a replay of my short flight. In the replay bar, there is an option saying, "My Controls!". When on final, click that button, and it will give you full control of the aircraft. This allows you to practice your landings however many times you want!

Happy flying,
Delta5142
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:45 am

However, the main problem to this is that it starts you off mid-air with a fully cold and dark aircraft.

Unless the aircraft supports state overlay, then it will start in a flying position.
Thorsten

Postby danielHL » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:28 am

Gjis and Isaak set up the landing tutorial for the Super Connie for FSWeekend last year. Maybe they can tell you how they did it.
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Return to Flying