Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Switching to AI Aircraft View

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Switching to AI Aircraft View

Postby Stevenj279 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:24 pm

I have a number of scenarios that load and run properly. I'm flying the UFO at the same time in the same area and would like to be able to switch the camera view to any of the scenario aircraft while their scenario runs. I have AI traffic turned off (no airports or their traffic), only these other simple scenarios are running, each with their own Flight Plan). Is there a key combination to cycle through these other scenario's views?

Just chase view is needed, don't need to actually control these other aircraft while in flight.
(Using FG 2020.1.3, Win 7 64)
Williamsburg, VA
Win 7 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.40 GHz
32 Gb Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2 TB SCSI HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
Stevenj279

Re: Switching to AI Aircraft View

Postby Stevenj279 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:24 am

I recall seeing something (wiki?) that referenced shift-Q, but that doesn't work and might only be for MP? Any hints would be appreciated!
Williamsburg, VA
Stevenj279

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:16 pm

i think you are thinking of the cockpit-view addon which is somehow not available in FGAddon/Addons... there is/was a topic on it from about a year or three ago...

here's the beginning of the topic...
cockpit-view: from --config format to --addon format
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Stevenj279 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:16 pm

Wkirty42 - Yup...I read through that and a lot of discussions about the nasal code issues, but I did not see where it was actually converted to meet the FG Addon structure... Might now be already in FG, just not as an addon...
Williamsburg, VA
Stevenj279

Postby gooneybird » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:40 pm

What UFO are you using, the UFO Video Assistant has an option to follow AI and MP aircraft, not sure whether it works on scenario aircraft though.
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby Stevenj279 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:53 pm

Gooneybird - I normally just use the plain UFO to get into the area where I've got my AI aircraft following flight plans. I've also actually "flown" FG aircraft into those areas to see if there was any difference, but no joy. With Multiplayer running, I've been able to switch to the different views of other MPs, but not any of my AIs or even those that are running as FG AI traffic. Just a Chase view would be fine, but the "shift-Q or q" key combo is non-operative. I've about 14 of my AI aircraft in flight at one time, but they are not "touchable". Might there be a setting in their individual XML files that would make them accessible? In the meantime, I'll give the UFO variant you mentioned a shot...
Williamsburg, VA
Stevenj279

Postby gooneybird » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:13 pm

My desktop computer died a couple of weeks ago and it's going to be a few more weeks before I get a replacement so can't currently test anything. The UFO Video Assistant had a pop up box in the bottom left corner that lists all the AI and MP available. I'm assuming it is still there and has not been removed since I last used it.
My Github repository (mostly AI stuff) https://github.com/gooneybird47
gooneybird

Postby Stevenj279 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:39 pm

Sorry for your loss....;-( I only use a semi-high end laptop (MSI Dragon) that I've tweaked a little bit. I've a very high end desktop (32 cores?) that's in storage that I'll probably dust off before long...
Williamsburg, VA
Stevenj279

Postby Stevenj279 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:50 am

Odd... I vaguely recall once seeing 2 UFO versions in FG - One was a "plain" UFO, the other was the Video Assistant. It may have been in one of the nightly, unstable builds that I'd downloaded but later removed because of bugs and stuck with 2020.3.1...

Edit: Found it for a slightly older version of FG, but having to switch to 2018.3.5 as the Video Assistant crashes 2020.1.3 Not sure why, but could be something I changed in the defaults XML file. Will check it later...
Williamsburg, VA
Stevenj279

Postby cgdae » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:17 pm

Stevenj279 wrote in Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:53 pm:With Multiplayer running, I've been able to switch to the different views of other MPs, but not any of my AIs or even those that are running as FG AI traffic. Just a Chase view would be fine, but the "shift-Q or q" key combo is non-operative. I've about 14 of my AI aircraft in flight at one time, but they are not "touchable". Might there be a setting in their individual XML files that would make them accessible? In the meantime, I'll give the UFO variant you mentioned a shot...

Sorry, the multiplayer view system doesn't handle AI aircraft.

There's no information about the location of the pilot viewpoint for AI models i think so the results for 'Pilot view' would not be very useful.

And there's no chase-distance either so other views would be a little limited because we wouldn't know how far to place the camera from the AI model, and would have to use a fixed default. Though this wouldn't make such views unusable i guess.

To fix these issues we could maybe replicate the *-set.xml system for AI models so that we can have <view>...</view> specifications. I've no idea how easy this would be.

- Jules
cgdae

Postby Stevenj279 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:17 am

Thanks Jules - After reinstalling FG 2020.1.3, the UFO Video Assistant now works and at least I can zoom in close enough (in Chase) with the "x" key, but none of the other traditional views are possible that I know of.

As I understand it, one can not use the aircraft-set.xml file as an AI platform since it normally does not include a <path> statement to the 3D .ac model. However, I believe the -set.xml file does usually point to an xml model file that does have that path statement. Curious why... Of course an AI platform certainly doesn't need a lot of the regular animations, cockpit instruments, etc, but haven't had the time yet to experiment a bit more in this area...
Williamsburg, VA
Stevenj279

Return to Graphics