Board index Other Hangar talk

AI Algorithm Beats F-16 Pilot in Dogfight

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

AI Algorithm Beats F-16 Pilot in Dogfight

Postby Hooray » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:21 pm

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... fight.html
An artificial intelligence algorithm this month beat a human fighter pilot during a simulated dogfight, DARPA officials revealed. This human-machine showdown comes as the military puts more of its pilots in a digital cockpit, rather than a physical one, for qualifications and training.

During the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency-hosted AlphaDogfight challenge last week, Maryland-based Heron Systems came in first place among eight companies who pitted their AI-powered simulated aircraft against one another for two days straight. Then, Heron's system on the third day beat an F-16 Fighting Falcon pilot "in five straight simulated dogfights in the man-vs-machine finale," the organization said following the finals.

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: AI Algorithm Beats F-16 Pilot in Dogfight

Postby Johan G » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:47 pm

Three words: Get some snacks! :wink:

This is better narrated than some sports events (not that I watch many). I sat about 30 minutes practically glued to the screen watching part of this the other day. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby J Maverick 16 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:50 pm

And the cool thing is, they used the JSBSim F-16 from FlightGear to do it.
Regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Johan G » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:15 pm

J Maverick 16 wrote in Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:50 pm:[...] they used the JSBSim F-16 from FlightGear to do it.

I only poked about a little on the DARPA website, but did not see it stated. On the other hand, from the little I have seen, the F-16 FDM is just as well developed and from as good sources as the F-15 FDM, so I do not see why they would not use that one as well.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby J Maverick 16 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:25 pm

Johan G wrote in Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:15 pm:I only poked about a little on the DARPA website, but did not see it stated.

Richards and StuartB talked with them and indeed they were using ours.

Johan G wrote in Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:15 pm:...the F-16 FDM is just as well developed and from as good sources as the F-15 FDM, so I do not see why they would not use that one as well.

True, although the F-15 is not a pure dogfighter like the Viper is. :wink:
Regards, Mav

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
J Maverick 16

Postby stuart » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:05 pm

Hi Folks,

Yes, we talked to them back in January. There were hoping to use FG for the visuals, but they really needed VR support for the real pilot, so ended up using X-Plane. I'm not sure if they used FG as the interface for the AI Agents or not.

I'm hoping they'll provide us with some feedback on the FDM.

-Sttuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:18 pm

stuart wrote in Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:05 pm:I'm hoping they'll provide us with some feedback on the FDM.

Indeed, that would be really appreciated and helpful.
Regards, Mav

J Maverick 16

Postby Hooray » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:23 pm

Here's what the original plan said:

https://www.darpa.mil/news-events/2019-10-21
All eight teams will compete in each of the three scheduled trials. They will use the JSBSim open-source flight dynamics model for simulation environment and the open-source FlightGear Flight Simulator for the visual system. The simulated aircraft for the Trials is the publically available, unclassified FlightGear version of an F-15C fighter aircraft.

After their AI won the competition, Heron Systems developers gave a Q&A via YouTube (the entire event was conducted remotely via Zoom), explaining some of the behavior they saw and even some movements that were unexpected. According to Heron, their agent is capable of running (without real-time image recognition) on something as small as an NVIDIA Tegra chip.

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Hangar talk