Board index Other Hangar talk

Flying Car Startup Aces Driver Test, Taking Off With Pilot

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Flying Car Startup Aces Driver Test, Taking Off With Pilot

Postby Hooray » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:10 am

https://observer.com/2020/08/japan-skyd ... -car-vtol/
Tokyo-based SkyDrive, showed off a test flight of its SD-03 flying car model earlier this month in the Japanese city of Toyota; a video was released on Friday. The single-seat car, powered by a battery and four pairs of propellers, was lifted to six feet above the ground and hovered in a netted test area for about five minutes. Most significantly, the car had a pilot on board.

It was SkyDrive’s first manned flight with the SD-03 model. The company, backed by Toyota (the automaker), aims to turn the prototype into a two-seater commercial model by 2023. It’s the same timeline targeted by the Japanese government to roll out flying taxi service in dense cities like Tokyo and Osaka.

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Re: Flying Car Startup Aces Driver Test, Taking Off With Pil

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:16 am

That's some really cool technology, but at the same time pretty much total BS for operational use, in my opinion.
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby StuartC » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:39 am

In the UK, I cant see anything like that ever being permitted to operate. If they intend them to be accessible as a car, then anyone could have one and could fly anywhere without the slightest idea on flying in restricted areas etc. Never happen. It would need to be under some form of PPL which would make in inaccessible to most again and therefore defeating the purpose of the whole idea.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Hooray » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:13 pm

it would be cool to see something like that modeled in FlightGear, i.e. a basic 3D model, some textures and a pseudo FDM to take it from there
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby S&J » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:54 pm

Talking of pseudo fdm...I found what I was looking for the Scorpion helicopter.
"Stay away from negative people.They have a problem for every solution." - Albert Einstein
S&J

Postby Johan G » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:06 pm

You guys have maybe not seen this one. Sleeker, faster... and way too daring. :? I would not ride this voluntarily, at least not doing backflips. :shock:

FliteTest, First Manned Aerobatic RACING Drone - Will it FLIP? (19 min, published February 18, 2020)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:16 pm

That's pretty cool, and the military is so going to love this sort of thinsg :lol:

Also, that's the kind of thing that, if modeled/supported in FlightGear, could attract the kind of users that FlightGear as a project needs, i.e. RC/UAV folks and people with an actual background in aerospace/aeronautics - i.e. the breed of people developing experimental aircraft/spacecraft
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Johan G » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:41 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:16 pm:[...] the military is so going to love this sort of thinsg :lol:

Nope, too little "gold plating". :lol:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Hangar talk