Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Massive performance problems in Win10 with ATI card

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Massive performance problems in Win10 with ATI card

Postby slcollect » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:40 pm

Massive performance problems with flightgear 2020.1.3 (same with 2018.3.5) in windows 10

Hi,

I run windows 10 64bit (latest build) and linux MX19.2 dualboot on following system:

Asrock H81M with i5-4460 and 8Gb ram, Radeon RX570 8Gb, SSD.
All drivers properly installed and latest stable builds (radeon driver i tried beta too - no difference)

On linux FG runs smooth with 55fps, most settings set to high quality.
So far so (very) good.

Windows instead is a massive problem.

The screen while FG loads after statring the program ist heavily pixelated and after it has loaded completely the menu is blank grey without labels.
Choosing the second GUI-style helps to get the labels back at least (but looks really last millenial- well i could live with that).

But i never get more (but not less either) than 30 fps (and frequent dropouts) - no matter how low or high the settings are.

I did the "performance-problems checklist" and "trobelshooting grafical artifacts". OpenGL is supported, drivers are present and Urban Terror runs at 125fps!
Furmark at FHD 51fps
Wireframe mode doesnt change anything. I tried the ATI-hack. No changes either. Framespacing is 35-50 ms. Problem on cessna 172 and 550 all airports

Debugging console shows following warning:
52.05 [WARN]:OSG PNG lib warning : Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
55.32 [WARN]:OSG Warning: Material::setShininess() of 254 is above permitted maximum, clamping to 128.

A hardwaremonitor showed me that the cpu is permanently under full load while the GPU toggles bettween zero and modest load.

I have no clue and hope you have an idea how i could solve the problem.
I know i simply could run it at linux but i have good reasons (peripherical hardware) why i would like to use windows.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by slcollect on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slcollect

Re: Massive performance problems in Win10 with ATI card

Postby V12 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:56 pm

I used FG 4 years, many versions. All that versions worked better on Linux than on Win 7 32 bit. I have nVidia graphics,older was 750GTX, new 1060 GTX. FG on Linux was faster on scenery load, MP planes load and much more stable than Win 7 32 bit. I have not experience with Win 10, after PC upgrade I don't use FG anymore. I made only short hop from EDDF to LOWI for test purpose, FG crashed over NANIT fix, second attempt from LOWI to EDDF again FG crash on short final. Then I participated on event Cross The Pond west, but on Lubuntu 19.04, without any crash, If I remember correctly. It was my last flight with FG.
In my case, FG on Linux was much better choice than on Windows.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Thorsten » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:02 pm

I used FG 4 years, many versions. All that versions worked better on Linux than on Win 7 32 bit. I have nVidia graphics,older was 750GTX, new 1060 GTX. FG on Linux was faster on scenery load, MP planes load and much more stable than Win 7 32 bit. I have not experience with Win 10, after PC upgrade I don't use FG anymore. I made only short hop from EDDF to LOWI for test purpose, FG crashed over NANIT fix, second attempt from LOWI to EDDF again FG crash on short final. Then I participated on event Cross The Pond west, but on Lubuntu 19.04, without any crash, If I remember correctly. It was my last flight with FG.
In my case, FG on Linux was much better choice than on Windows.

I'm sure that's very helpful for everyone...

I've been running on Win10 for a while and at least on an Nvidia card I get 60 fps steady, so putting the statement of the notoriously dissatisfied aside, there's no particular problem under windows.

But i never get more (but not less either) than 30 fps (and frequent dropouts) - no matter how low or high the settings are.

That and the independence of settings would seem to indicate that your framerate is throttled to 30 fps - can you check that option?

(Btw - 30 fps isn't a massive performance problem as your eye only does 30 fps or so, so getting 60 or 120 is for your benchmark testing, but not really for your experience - unless you believe cinema sucks, because that is filmed at 25 fps...)
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:55 pm

Thorsten :
IMHO, fps drop from 55 to 30 is massive drop of performance.

Your theory about human eyes and 30 fps is wrong. Try 8 hours work on 60 Hz CRT screen, then use 100 Hz CRT screen. I'm sure You will observe change.
V12

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:29 pm

what's the difference between 30fps@60hz and 30fps@100hz?? it is still 30fps, right? ;)

i suspect it isn't the fps that's bothering you... lighting can also play a part... especially those that flicker at wall outlet frequency which may show slight flickering on a monitor...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby slcollect » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:42 pm

Thank you for your answers.
Can anyone help me where i can find the settings for limiting the framerate?
slcollect

Postby Thorsten » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:36 am

Your theory about human eyes and 30 fps is wrong. Try 8 hours work on 60 Hz CRT screen, then use 100 Hz CRT screen. I'm sure You will observe change.

That'd be because CRT screen refresh rate is something else than framerate - but, well - let's leave the statement of the notoriously dissatisfied aside :D

Can anyone help me where i can find the settings for limiting the framerate?

Probably somewhere on the launcher settings, or in-sim in the rendering dialog - I don't remember off-hand, just look for something that reads 'framerate throttle' or similar.
Thorsten

Postby Richard » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:21 am

slcollect wrote in Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:40 pm:Massive performance problems with flightgear 2020.1.3 (same with 2018.3.5) in windows 10

I run windows 10 64bit (latest build) and linux MX19.2 dualboot on following system:

Asrock H81M with i5-4460 and 8Gb ram, Radeon RX570 8Gb, SSD.
All drivers properly installed and latest stable builds (radeon driver i tried beta too - no difference)

This sounds related to the AMD drivers as I have a similar problem with my R9-290. What I think is happening[1] is that the driver frame syncs on each camera.

The solution is to run FG with the following command line options
Code: Select all
—prop:/sim/rendering/vsync-enable=false —prop:/sim/frame-rate-throttle-hz=60

------------------
[1] ref: http://www.chateau-logic.com/content/fl ... erformance
Richard

Version: Git

Postby slcollect » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:08 pm

Thanks a lot, but i am sorry to say that

didnt make anything better - it reduces framerate to 20.....

And i couldnt find a way to set the framerate - maybe someone could give me a hint
slcollect

Postby V12 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:05 am

On AMD driver try turn off all antialias and triple buffering. On old Catalyst driver series antialias was responsible for missing menu items.
V12

Postby Thorsten » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:42 am

And i couldnt find a way to set the framerate - maybe someone could give me a hint

Since it's the first option that seemed to do anything, this smells like the right track.
Thorsten

Postby slcollect » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:33 pm

Hi again,

I already tried setting frame-rate-throttle-hz=60 but as said before it REDUCES my fps!

Turning off anti-aliasing is not possible in current ati-driver. But i did in FG

I went back to FG 2018.3.5

fresh install same problems - tried to set framrate in rendering menu to 60 - but still 30 is maximum.

There must be a problem we have overseen yet.......

Thanks everyone fpr trying to help!
slcollect

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:39 pm

check your driver settings in your OS, too... maybe you have vsync and/or anti-aliasing turned on there, too?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby stuart » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:02 pm

Given that you are seeing huge CPU load and nothing on the GPU, I wonder if for some reason FG is running on an integrated GPU on the motherboard rather than your proper GPU.

Under the Help menu there should be an item that displays information about what graphics card FG is using (IIRC ‘About’ - I’m not at my computer to check).
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby slcollect » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:08 am

I turnede vsync completely off in the driver and it enhanced the fps towards 40 - a (big) success......

The screen when flightgear loads ist still heavily pixelated and the standard GUI doesnt work either - but that isnt a real problem (even if it indicates that something still must be wrong)

I checked the GPU - OpenGL is rendered by the radeon card and not the integrated GPU - but thanks for the hint
slcollect

Next

Return to Graphics