Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

AW159 Wildcat update

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: AW159 Wildcat update

Postby wlbragg » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:39 am

ctrl-D does appear to do SAS, it pops up the notice on the screen, but there is no CAS? I can't get it switch to on in the property tree.
It doesn't feel like SAS is working though. The AirCrane has both SAS and CAS options working and you can shut them off and on in the FCS Management GUI. You can get a really good feel for what they do and how much they add to the stability individually or combined and I don't see the same effect on the AW159 even with the SAS alone. Actually I don't get any influence over the default FDM. Either my install is still broken or the AFCS you have activated is not working correctly.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby StuartC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:02 pm

Having a rweal busy work day, and trying to sort things at the same time. Archive replaced again.

Indepth explination to follow when I get time.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby wlbragg » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:02 pm

No worry's, panel is fixed, I haven't had a chance to look at the log yet for any else.
I'll await your enlightenment on the CAS.
FYI, when I switch it on in prop tree you see the aircraft start to react but it shuts itself off imeadiatally. So I can tell it is activated, just not being allowed to opporate.
You mentioned "autopilot", I'm really interested in that. I need one for the AirCrane.
wlbragg

Postby StuartC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Cas is scripted as OFF on our choppers. Only a few use FCS at all, the rest are just tuned FDM's. Not all real choppers have any form of satability augmentation system as standard, but as an option. More modern FBW choppers cant fly without one ( easily ). I prefer SAS to be off to be honest. I would rather learn to master the machine than have training wheels attached to it.
StuartC

Postby StuartC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:28 pm

Forgot to mention, the HUD is not a hud, its a HMD ( Helmet mounted display ). Turn it off with h key if you dont want it.
StuartC

Postby wlbragg » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:48 pm

I prefer SAS to be off to be honest. I would rather learn to master the machine than have training wheels attached to it.

Gotcha!

My understanding is that AirCrane was rarely to never flown without the augmentations once it was available. Also that SAS and CAS are "loose" terms that can be slightly different applications per aircraft and system used.

I would never advocate for adding either or any system to an aircraft that didn't actually come with it. But absolutely world argue for the option if they indeed had one as I imagine they were used exclusively if available in most circumstances. Maybe military craft in different circumstance did or did not use it, if they even had it, and I don't know time frames either, maybe these AFCS systems are that in-between stage and weren't available in most of FGUK hanger aircraft. The stage in development between no augmentation and completely integrated and built in augmentation as present.
Logic dictates that new aircraft have these controls integrated completely. But I would be shocked if they weren't built in.
I don't think of it as "have training wheels attached" but just another system that improved the helicopters performance.
Bottom line though is, if it didn't have it, it didn't have it.

As a side note: Since I got my Thrustmaster controls I can more easily handle these aircraft. Even this one. But I actually prefer AFCS when available and realistic as I feel that is what I would be using in real life if it had it.
wlbragg

Postby StuartC » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:57 pm

There is a surprising number of new helicopters that still do not have SAS as standard. EC120, EC130, etc.
I still need to fly the Aircrane with my new sticks.
StuartC

Postby wlbragg » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:25 am

FYI:
Just for fun I added the exact same AFCS configuration the AirCrane has to this helo and I was surprised to find it actually worked fairly well without any tuning changes. It isn't as smooth as it is in the AirCrane, probably just needs tuning, but all in all, it's doing its job.

What YASim helicopter in the FGUK hanger would you say has the best configured autopilot, if any?

The errors, warning and alerts are for the most part all cleaned up. Obviously the fg1000 ones are still there.

Code: Select all
   11.57 [ALRT]:io         Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'CWS'
   11.57 [ALRT]:io         Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'CWS'

I think this alert is because the name animation
<name>CWS</name>

in CWS-t2.xml is commented out and is referred to later in the file. By the looks of it I am guessing you didn't need the "select" animation anymore but inadvertently commented out the entire "name" animation along wth the select.

and these, you probably are aware of and know what these are from...
   11.79 [ALRT]:io         Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'NoseGearLandinglight', 'Taxi-Light-Left'
   11.79 [ALRT]:io         Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'GreenLightFlare', 'GreenLightRemb', 'RedLightFlare', 'RedLightRemb', 'WhiteLightFlare', 'WhiteLightRemb'
   11.79 [ALRT]:io         Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'BeaconFlare', 'BeaconRemb'

That's pretty much it.

Nice chopper and yet another nice addition to your hanger. Thank you for all the work and production you all do. It's added so much to FlightjGear and is really appreciated.

Oh, and yes I hooked the Cargo addon and it just works right out of the box with some slider adjustments. I assume you added the Longline load point for it? If you want me to add a permanent configuration block to the Cargo Addon aircraft.xml file
        <!--weight x="0" y="0.00" z="-2" mass-prop="/sim/weight[0]/weight-lb"/-->
        <name type="string">Merlin-HM1</name>
        <x-pos type="double">2.333</x-pos>
        <y-pos type="double">0.0</y-pos>
        <z-pos type="double">-0.667</z-pos>
        <offset type="double">2.0</offset>
        <diameter type="double">1</diameter>
        <wincharm type="int">0</wincharm>
        <loadpoint type="int">0</loadpoint>

Just give me the details as to where and what and I can include it so it picks it up automatically.
For all that matters, I can add all the FGUK hanger helos to the config if I have the data.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:12 am

Messing around with the AW159 Wildcat. The AI cargo rope logic is in need of some work.

wlbragg

Postby StuartC » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:18 am

Yes I added the longline payload option for use with the addon. If you want to addd the permanent config to the Cargo Towing, please carry on. Its got a Belly hook which should lets you get the position correct.
The Lights that are missing objects are not actually missing, they are there. This is FG being a pig about exact paths.
Work will calm down a bit from tomorrow so I can did in to a lot more after that. Currently Im scraping 5-10 min when I can.
Helicopter autopilots. Well, The Wildcat has got my best attempt yet ( note I said "Attempt" ). It works with the FCS and actually uses the collective for Altitude and AGL hold rather than "Elevator" commands.
StuartC

Postby Warty » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:21 pm

Brings back memories of this conversation from almost five years ago
http://fguk.me/forum/westland-lynx/432- ... ion/#25573
Some things take a while to be accepted in FlightGear. It's coming up to the 50th anniversary of the Lynx maiden flight :)
Warty

Callsign: Warty
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby wlbragg » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:52 pm

uses the collective for Altitude and AGL hold rather than "Elevator" commands

I don't think the AirCrane AFCS has AGL hold but it is supposed to have BAR Altitude hold, and YAW trim. I really need a YAW trim with a good altitude hold. Add an Amelia type assistant and it would be perfect.

The same AirCrane "autohover" works in this helo and doesn't appear to drift, yet in the AirCrane, the slightest wind makes it drift, at least I am pretty sure it is the wind component causing drift.

I will try to pull out this aircraft's altitude hold and substitute it into the AirCrane which I guess your saying, if the AirCrane is using the default in fgdata that it is elevator controlled and not collective?

I did notice the image of the AFCS panel in this aircraft, from what I could tell, also doing some online searches, looks real similar to the AirCrane's.
wlbragg

Postby StuartC » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:12 pm

Had a quick look at the Aircrane AP, and it does appear to use pitch commands for altitude control.
StuartC

Postby wlbragg » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Your Altitude hold and AGL hold are a reasonable substitute for what is needed for the AirCrane's BAR ALT hold. With the AirCrane AFCS (CAS and SAS) on, I can set either of the Alt hold's and still use controller to hold steady.
This isn't considered a "true" barometric altitude hold is it?
wlbragg

Postby StuartC » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:16 pm

not in the slightest, no.
StuartC

PreviousNext