Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Scenery 1 w10N50 for Flight Gear 1.0

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Scenery 1 w10N50 for Flight Gear 1.0

Postby clrCoda » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:26 am

Is that something you deem necessary?

A google search on say e000n10 say, returns mirrors all over the world.

I suppose it would be nice to have you if you can afford such a thing.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby fmg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:53 am

portreekid wrote in Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:45 am:Yes. If you look at the root directory of the FTP http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/ you'll see, that the V1.01 scenery has been removed.

For what reason? What is this good for?
Can't believe, that they are running out of disk space.
Maybe you can find this via google somewhere else in the net for some time. But why make peoples life's unnecessarily complicated?
Sad story.
fmg

Callsign: fotomas
Version: 2

Postby Gijs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:05 am

We don't know if it has been removed on purpose, so let's not run ahead of things.
Reporting it to the mailing list would probably be a good idea to find out what happened and why.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby openflight » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:17 am

Success! I downloaded scenery from here

Code: Select all
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Scenery-v2.12/

w130n40.tgz   2013-Nov-11 13:55:41   62.8M   application/x-tgz

size: 65.9 MB (65918561 bytes)

The new scenery is over 500 mb so it figures.

and followed the instructions in my versions fgstart.pdf to the letter (and I also copied the terrain objects folders again to WorldData as well as WorldData/terrain.

FG Launcher and I happened to see the 'refresh ' button which I duly clicked. I selected Seattle airport, an airport I have actually been to, Boeing Field is close by, can be seen from the highway.

I am now on a runway called L16.

One thing there were many alerts about objects not found - so I have to download these. Nice. Thanks again to a wonderful product, Flight Gear. I like the interface style to this thing, whatever version. Whoever did this thing really loves his pylons.

Code: Select all
WARNING: ssgLoadAC: Failed to open 'C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Models/Power/generic_pylon_50m.ac' for reading
Failed to load 3D model C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Models/Power/generic_pylon_50m.ac
WARNING: ssgLoadAC: Failed to open 'C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Models/Power/generic_pylon_50m.ac' for reading
Failed to load 3D model C:/Program Files (x86)/FlightGear/data/Models/Power/generic_pylon_50m.ac

My previous rambling:

Once again, I search for scenery, to use in my FG 1 sandbox environment, which is a lot of fun by the way. Portability of some of the concepts and models between that and Fg 2018 has been also happening. FYI I have FG 2018 running (slowly) on my machine.

The FG scenery web page admits the usefulness of FG scenery, however the link leads to 2. something scenery: Downloading and installing the scenery I got does not give me any airports in the list (W130N40).

https://www.flightgear.org/download/scenery/

FlightGear World Scenery — v1.0.1 and v2.0.1

FlightGear scenery is available for the entire world. There are two versions available:

v1.0.1 is an older world scenery build. You can think of it as “SD” or standard detail level. The entire world consumes about 12Gb compressed and fits onto a 3-DVD set. In some places this scenery is referred to as version 2.12 which matches the version of FlightGear that was current at the time this world scenery set was generated. Some people prefer this scenery version because it is simpler and allows FlightGear to run at faster frame rates on less capable computer hardware.

Wayback machine does not have data before 2012:

http://web.archive.org/web/201209180920 ... tgear/ftp/

If I get it it will be in one big folder named FLIGHTGEARONESCENERY_IMPORTANT! and I will back it up to several places. I could even host it.

Maybe an older mirror has it?

EDIT: I followed the instructions in gettart.pdf exactly (create a WorldScenery directory and I extract downloaded files into terrain folder, and also I added the path in the startup, path to the scenery. Still no luck.
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Postby portreekid » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:12 am

If you look on scenery.flightgear.org you will find most of them.

https://scenery.flightgear.org/app.php? ... iew&id=520
portreekid

Callsign: PORTREE
Version: 2020.2.1

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:08 pm

openflight wrote in Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:17 am:One thing there were many alerts about objects not found - so I have to download these. Nice. Thanks again to a wonderful product, Flight Gear. I like the interface style to this thing, whatever version. Whoever did this thing really loves his pylons.

the missing pylons is because they reside in terrasync now instead of in FGData... not only the pylons but a lot of others, too... it makes updating and distributing them easier/faster...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby openflight » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:21 pm

Oh Terrasync again.

FYI I have installed on my two computers Flight Gear 2.0 (Win 32), FG 3.4, FG 2018, FG1.0 (Wine) and I use the newer ones occasionally, just used the Hawaii airport in a CH 701 and did an off field landing - 2018 scenery is pretty nice, after all. Really good stuff.
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Previous

Return to Scenery