Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

terragear not generating output

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: terragear not generating output

Postby lomar » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:15 am

i did another test today. was able to make it run and generate an output by removing some materials. when i add some of these materials, it actually loads for a while but generates no output, and with others it just goes to 100% without doing anything. I double checked and all of the materials are written on default priorities. I suspect it may be a problem on the shapefiles themselves. does anyone knows what kind of problems can cause this behavior(i suspect something like invalid geometries, different projections or silvers)?
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby pb321 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm facing the same problem. I found three forest type work folders were empty. I ran Terragear without these and got ouput. But of course the output is not good because the three land classes represent the most land cover. The data files for these increased significantly from a previous, successful run. I'm not sure why. The shapefiles were generated using QGIS. I'm regenerating the shapefiles to see if my tolerance is set too low, which may result in larger shape file sizes.
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby xDraconian » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:32 pm

If you are suspecting invalid geometry within the shapefiles then you can validate and clean them within QGIS.
Take a look at v.clean within the Grass toolset.

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass79/manuals/v.clean.html
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby lomar » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:23 am

another weird thing i found. i could generate an output using only airports, elevation and landmass(no materials whatsoever), and it created 5 1X1 degree folders. it was weird because the area i'm trying to generate is 2x1 degrees, so i tought there would be only 2 folders
lomar

Postby xDraconian » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:21 am

If you include the northern and eastern boundary within your selection then it will pick up the adjacent tiles - 2 above and 1 to the right.
I'm pretty sure that I changed that behaviour on the next branch, but it will still do that on the ws2.0 branch.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby lomar » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:53 pm

so, i tried to run a quick test today. i defined all the shapefiles to a single material that i knew was working, but in the end it did not generate the scenery. so i think i confirmed that there must be some problem with the shapefiles. but i still have no clue of what problem may cause this behavior
lomar

Postby lomar » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:18 pm

Also, i have another minor problem. I couldnt figure out how to make it read an apt.dat from the gateway. whenever i try to load it, it crashes. It only works with the default apt.dat, and it is very outdated.
lomar

Previous

Return to Scenery