Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

terragear not generating output

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

terragear not generating output

Postby lomar » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:54 am

Hi,
som i'm developing a custom scenery here and tried to run a test, but everytime i try to run terragear, it just goes instantly to 100% and no output is generated. Last time i tried to generate a scenery, i had the same problem, but could run when i deleted some materials, and couldnt find any way to make it run with those materials.
How can i solve this?
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Re: terragear not generating output

Postby frtps » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:39 am

Yes, I saw this often when running via the GUI. If you are running via the GUI you can see the error by copy-pasting the command that is actually executed (tg-construct something something) from the GUI into a console window and running it in the console. That should give you a more informative error message.
frtps

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:05 am

This usually means you need to manually edit default-priorities.xml to add shapefiles you don't have. The tab on the right shows all the shapefile - search for all those in default-priorities and add any that are missing. Be careful with the order. For instance if CropGrass is missing, there should be one called "CropGrasdCover" - add CropGrass immediately after that in the list.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby ludomotico » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:56 am

The order in default-priorities is important in case of overlapping. Depending on your data sources, you might find overlapping or not.

It is a good idea to have a "default landmass", a shape you can get from OpenStreetMaps, to cover the whole continent and prevent "holes" in the terrain. They are literally holes down to the ocean. If you use a default landmass, assign the lowest priority to that shape.

Also, the default material for the "default landmass" is a very dense forest. In many civilized regions, you'll find more adequate to assign any of the available "crop landclasses" to the default landmass.
ludomotico

Postby Picun_1812 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:53 pm

Is there any chance that someone will generate a detailed tutorial on the steps to generate more realistic scenarios outside of Europe or North America? I would very much like to contribute to this in the simulator.
A while back I really put a lot of effort into following the LegoBoy tutorial (viewtopic.php?t=35618) to create a scenario; I managed to work with QGis and World Editor; but my difficulty started looking for south american data for layers and using Terragear GUI with very outdated tutorials and other difficulties that never allowed me to create a scenario.

I would appreciate help.
Picun_1812

Postby lomar » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:20 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:05 am:This usually means you need to manually edit default-priorities.xml to add shapefiles you don't have. The tab on the right shows all the shapefile - search for all those in default-priorities and add any that are missing. Be careful with the order. For instance if CropGrass is missing, there should be one called "CropGrasdCover" - add CropGrass immediately after that in the list.

i did this, still got nothing
lomar

Postby xDraconian » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:07 am

@Iomar,

Please provide some more detail.

Which of these worked as expected?
hgtchop
terrafit
genapt850
ogr-decode
tg-construct

What does your data folder look like?
What output and/or error are you receiving?
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby lomar » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:03 pm

everything is working minus the TG-construct

and i recieve no output or error message, the GUI just shows the loading bar at 100% (i havent found out yet how to run it from the command line)

also, i'm confused about a thing: do i need to save the shapefiles with names used in the default-priorities? or are these just for the materials assigned for them?
lomar

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:19 pm

Yes, what you assign in ogr-decode should be present in default priorities.
legoboyvdlp

Postby lomar » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:56 pm

sorry, but i didn't understand very well your answer.

what i'm asking is: do the .shp files saved in the "data" folder must be named after the names in the default priorities too, or only the materials that are assigned to them at the ogr-decode stage?
Last edited by Johan G on Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please, do not quote the entire post directly above your post.
lomar

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:36 pm

Just the materials at ogr-decode -- the shapefiles can be named anything, ogr-decode assigns them to the proper material :)
legoboyvdlp

Postby xDraconian » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:59 am

Here's an example:
Code: Select all
tg-construct --priorities=${PRIORITIES_FILE} --usgs-map=${USGS_MAP_FILE} --work-dir=work --output-dir=output/Terrain --ignore-landmass --min-lon=-158.423 --max-lon=-157.544 --min-lat=21.064 --max-lat=21.8003 Airport AirportArea AirportObj Asphalt Canal Canal2 Cemetery Dirt Freeway GolfCourse Grassland Industrial Lake Lava Marsh MixedCrop MixedForest Ocean Railroad Road Sand Scrub Stream Stream2 Town Urban Default SRTM-3

The list at the end must match what is in your work folder. e.g. my work folder had two items for Stream landclasses (Stream and Stream2). Don't forget the DEM folder (SRTM-3 in the above example).
xDraconian

Postby lomar » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:56 pm

where do i input it? is there an .exe that i should open or should i use the windows command prompt?
Last edited by Johan G on Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please, do not quote the entire post directly above your post.
lomar

Postby xDraconian » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:43 pm

via the Command Prompt
xDraconian

Postby lomar » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:29 am

hello,
so, i couldn't make it work on the command line either. i hoped it would give me an error message to know what is happening, but nothing happened, just like in the GUI
lomar

Next

Return to Scenery