Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Looking to learn how to compile terrain (not buildings/OSM)

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Looking to learn how to compile terrain (not buildings/OSM)

Postby Avionyx » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:29 am

Hi All,

I've done a lot of dredging of the forums and wiki and can't find much that seems recent that isn't specifically about adding buildings / OSM data so excuse me if it's a covered topic but I couldn't find it.

Here's what I'd really like to achieve: right now I'm not bothered about buildings, roads, railway lines or anything like that. I REALLY want to see nice coastlines and rivers in FG. Smooth edged lakes and raggedy cliffs.
For me it's the one element which seems to draw my eye more than anything. Buildings and roads are wonderful and I know lots of people like them but it's not my goal right now, I want to be able to look at my local coastline and see smooth beaches and transitions into the water.

Would anyone be willing to share with me a specific workflow that currently works for generating tiles with this data in it, and suitable sources for the UK?
Once I've got that far I'd like to build on it and share back with the FG community in terms of files, updating wiki posts and things like that to help others but so far every attempt I've ever made at getting scenery generated and failed -but I'm ready to give it another go.

I have a powerful machine running Arch Linux, and also a Windows laptop so happy to give either OS a try depending on which is going to be easier to master first.

Many thanks in advance!
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Re: Looking to learn how to compile terrain (not buildings/O

Postby frtps » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:02 pm

Have you had a look at this wiki page? Also the pages linked out from there may be helpful. If you have, what are the issues that have prevented you from successfully generating terrain?

I'm keen for somebody to generate the white cliffs of Dover using the new cliff generation code in Terragear, they should come up pretty nicely.
frtps

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:30 pm

For the UK you'll want a mix of CORINE data / OSM landmass / rivers / lakes / roads / natural (beach / cliff) landclass.

See the terragear tutorial: viewtopic.php?t=35618
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby xDraconian » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:56 am

fg-from-scratch was originally written to make scenery generation on Windows machines possible. Within that project there is a CustomScenery folder with a working example demonstrating the usage of TerraGear. You may find this to be a good reference project for you.

You can build terrain on either Linux or Windows, so your choice as to which OS you utilize.

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgmeta/ci/next/tree/fg-from-scratch/
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby ludomotico » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:56 am

You have these options:

- build terragear on Linux. It's easy, once you have all the dependencies. Dependencies include simgear, so it is easier if you are already building flightgear from its sources.
- build terragear in WSL on Windows. Similar to building for Linux. pb321 reported terragear (and its GUI) can be built on Windows using WSL: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=37583
- use docker in Linux and Windows. It involves learning docker, but it is a useful skill. I'm convinced the docker container is the cleanest and fastest way to have terragear working both in Windows and Linux without a GUI. Check this thread, starting from the linked message: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37354&start=45#p369480

Once you have terragear working using any of these methods, the workflow is as described in the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Using_TerraGear

For the UK, the best data sources are CORINE for landclasses, OSM for the landmass and roads.

In any case, this won't improve significantly the default scenery for UK. Maybe a slightly better coastline. To get better cliffs, you might need finding a best source for elevation data, or tweaking manually this elevation data.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Return to Scenery