Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Development

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Development

Postby eatdirt » Sat May 23, 2020 2:04 am

That ac file is probably enough, but, how much did that change the original position of the model when secured in the bay? Because it was exactly where I wanted the model when secured

Cool. Not too much actually, I could not tell the difference, a feet or so?

Maybe not though

As far as I have understood, the relative position of the end effector w.r.t the hook (before and after grabbing) depends only on the choice of the origin in the hst.ac file. With the adjustments I've made, I would say that it is perfect once grabbed, and a bit off before grab (it is barely visible because the end effector cannot go further than 83 degrees, and that dominates). For the position of the HST in the payload bay, once the origin is set, you can only play with the offsets in the hst-secured.xml file, which must match the coordinates of the hook in payload.nas, the p3_attach_xyz. And whatever you set here, the position of effector vs hook cannot change. I guess if the new origin moved a bit the model in the bay, it remains these 3 numbers to be adjusted, but I don't know what were you criteria for its positioning.
eatdirt

Postby GinGin » Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 pm

Very nice work guys.
Going through documentations for a proper STS 31 revival :)
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby eatdirt » Sat May 23, 2020 8:14 pm

Hi Gingin,
I've spotted 2 things with the first merge of the PFD displays:

1) I am still having white numbers over the white ADI ball (in the SCOM it seems they are "drawn" black on white, or, when they are at the boundary of the two hemispheres, they are white on black little square)

2) The dust effect on the enhanced screen is gone.

The rest looks very nice to me, I really love the bluish background :)
Last edited by eatdirt on Sat May 23, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eatdirt

Postby GinGin » Sat May 23, 2020 8:31 pm

eatdirt wrote in Sat May 23, 2020 8:14 pm:Hi Gingin,
I've spotted 2 things with the first merge of the PFD displays:

1) I am still having white numbers over the white ADI ball (in the SCOM it seems they are "drawn" black on white, or, when they are at the boundary of the two hemispheres, they are white on black little square)

2) The dust effect on the enhanced screen is gone.

The rest looks very nice to me, I really love the bluish background :)

Thanks for the return.
You are speaking of the pfd from my fork?

For the 1), I dont know why, as I have the correct effect and I didnt change that from the basic pfd.
You should observe white numbers on small black boxes over white ADI (It concerns the code line I sent you in PM)
To Put black numbers on white ADI and vice versa for the bottom part is too tough for me for now.

Same for the dust effect. I still have it working like before
There might be some corruptions when I uploaded the pfd , as I dont observe those things.

Anyway, for now, I removed my old fork and created a new one to start on good basis ( I mixed up dev and master branches etc)
I will update it with pfd work next week, once I will push the last merge request and crosschecked by Thorsten ( a few files left)
GinGin

Postby eatdirt » Sat May 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Forget about it!
I was testing your old repo and not the merge by an unfortunate accident of
Code: Select all
history | grep fgfs

Yes, the ADI ball is unchanged and the dust is there on the official devel branch. Let me know when you have set up everything, I am happy to test.
eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Sun May 24, 2020 4:08 pm

gingin's work on performance and the new auto-launch is now fully merged into the development branch - please give it a run :D

And please join me in a big 'Thank you!' for our new contributor :D
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Sun May 24, 2020 5:32 pm

If you can have a test of everything you think of, from normal ascent to RTLS / TAL etc
GinGin

Postby wlbragg » Sun May 24, 2020 7:20 pm

And please join me in a big 'Thank you!' for our new contributor :D

Absolutely, thank you GinGin, excellent work!

@eatdirt, thank you as well! Every test you make and issue you sort out is of great help in time savings to me personally and I really appreciate it.

I pushed the "payload" hst.ac changes and the are close enough. Everything lines up well, all rotations work correctly and I even lost the huge offsets at release on the one test I did using select drive.

I also pushed the updated new art/development materials to https://sourceforge.net/p/fgspaceshuttleres/code/commit_browser

By the way, do you all see the most recent commits. My SourceForge account is really screwed up for both the Shuttle Dev and Shuttle Res repositories. I cant see any commits in Shuttle Dev and only one from 2020-1-10 in Shuttle Res. Posted a ticket on SF to try to find a solution.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby eatdirt » Mon May 25, 2020 8:53 am

Congrats Gingin, well done!

Thanks Wayne, I'll check for the offsets, I kind of remember that I still had them at release though.

I was no aware of the ShuttleRes repos, thanks for the link. I see a commit from yesterday in doing a git pull from SF, so it seems to work here. Although I had to do a git clone ssh:/, the git clone https:// has never worked for me since a while.

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby GinGin » Mon May 25, 2020 12:42 pm

Thanks guys
Congrats to you also for bringing Hubble and RMS OPS to that level.

Wow, I saw ISS detailled model UV :)
GinGin

Postby wlbragg » Mon May 25, 2020 3:56 pm

@Chris
all rotations work correctly

Unfortunately not. You can see in this test that there is still an issue. I did a bit of "wrist roll" and "shoulder roll" in addition to all three pitch changes.

I even lost the huge offsets at release on the one test I did using select drive

Same thing here on 2nd test, still a big offset.

@Thorsten
Do you care if I activate a property during the payload release so I can use distance from shuttle to center of payload mass, to be the driving property to deploy the solar panels? You left it commented out in the code. Or is there another already active property available for this? It looks like this property will only be updated during the payload_manager lifetime and will cease to be updated on the "unload" of the payload_manager code when the distance exceeds a certain threshold.
The property you had commented out in payload_manager.nas line 493
setprop("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/rendezvous/target/distance-m", me.docking_collar_dist);
wlbragg

Postby eatdirt » Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 pm

That looks completely off in your picture. Is this the case only in that arm's position, almost vertical? If yes, that's the Euler singularity kicking in, if this happens with the arm at 45degrees, then rotations are still screwed but not at the same place as before :-/
eatdirt

Postby eatdirt » Mon May 25, 2020 11:00 pm

I gave it another try, I really think it is Euler. If the end effector is not too close to the vertical position, I've tried to mix all possible rotations and it works fine. Look at the shape of the arm in this one, I played with everything, but far from Euler. We still see a little shift of the end effector w.r.t. to the hook, which is not there at grabbing, and that certainly comes from the numerical errors building up?

In fact I do see a wirst yaw problem also when we grab the HST, the end effector is at 83 degrees, if you start yawing the wrist significantly, the HST yaw more than what it should. The formulae giving by how much it should yaw has a 1/cos(pitch), so when pitch -> pi/2, all numerical errors are exploding. I've checked the formula and I am finding the same as Thorsten, but I'll give it another look to be sure.

Edit: We might have a trigo problem, it works fine in the range of pitch -pi/4 pi/4; maybe we have a missing angle/2 somewhere.

If this is really Euler, we're done, there is nothing we can do. Although it might also be possible to rewrite all the animations such that they rotate by following all the possible rotation induced by all of the arm junctions. But, that would be quite some work!

PS: Hey, I've tried the new settings from Gingin, look where I am! Congrats Gingin :wink: @Thorsen: is there a way to deactivate the skydome without deactivating the ALS lights?
Last edited by eatdirt on Tue May 26, 2020 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
eatdirt

Postby GinGin » Mon May 25, 2020 11:30 pm

Perfect EatDirt :)
Who would have thought 2 years ago that we would rendez vous with Hubble and grab it , with such a high degree of fidelity

I also added something in autolaunch in case of course switching from NorthEast to SouthEast during full eastwards launch
It is now possible to launch with great accuracy towards ISS true Inc ( 28.65° there)
I will push it soon with the correct Hst.xml scenario :)

#Inc Error correction adjustment if track is less than 90° (inc-acquire-sign = -1) or more than 90 ° (inc-acquire-sign = 1) without RTHU //reversed for RTHU
#(problem arised for eastwards launch, oscillating between North EAST/WEST heading and course wrong correction close to MECO, increasing the Dinc)
#Stage 4 only

var inc_acquire_sign = getprop("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/ap/launch/inc-acquire-sign");
   var course_deg = getprop("/fdm/jsbsim/velocities/course-deg");

if ((course_deg < 90.0) or (course_deg > 270.0))
      {
      if ((rthu_enable == 1) and (vt > 13000)) {setprop("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/ap/launch/inc-acquire-sign", 1);}
      else {setprop("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/ap/launch/inc-acquire-sign", -1);}
      }

else if ((course_deg > 90.0) and (course_deg < 270.0))
      {
      if ((rthu_enable == 1) and (vt > 13000)) {setprop("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/ap/launch/inc-acquire-sign", -1);}
      else {setprop("/fdm/jsbsim/systems/ap/launch/inc-acquire-sign", 1);}
      }

GinGin

Postby wlbragg » Tue May 26, 2020 5:01 pm

eatdirt wrote in Mon May 25, 2020 11:00 pm:I really think it is Euler.

It could be, what exactly would I see while moving the ARM if this is the case? Does the ARM quit moving at Euler but the HST continues to move?
wlbragg

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight