Board index FlightGear Development Add-ons

Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

FlightGear has support for add-ons, to further extend the simulator's core functionality.

Re: Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:40 pm

You might want to consider posting to the flightgear developers mailing list to gain access to the fgaddon repository, which is where "standard" addons are hosted - this would ensure that your addon can become a part of the fgaddon repository, which may ensure that the flightgear developer community can help maintain your addon should you not be around, but which would also mean that you could help maintain addons whose original developers are currently not around.

At some point the primary contributor to the addon system considered adding support for "default" addons, i.e. addons that may optionally be shipped as part of a FlightGear release, and that may be installed inside $FG_HOME or shipped as part of $FG_ROOT - given the quality of your addon, it would seem like an obvious candidate for inclusion eventually.

So, if in doubt, I'd suggest to post to the mailing list to introduce your addon to the FlightGear developers mailing list, many of its users are not necessarily regular users of the forum - which is to say, you'll likely receive additional feedback/testing by introducing your work there, regardless of fgaddon access.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:50 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:40 pm:You might want to consider posting to the flightgear developers mailing list to gain access to the fgaddon repository, which is where "standard" addons are hosted - this would ensure that your addon can become a part of the fgaddon repository, which may ensure that the flightgear developer community can help maintain your addon should you not be around, but which would also mean that you could help maintain addons whose original developers are currently not around....

Hello there and thank you for your renewed invitation which I failed to follow at least two times now! :P
You are right and I would of course be more than flattered to see my addon in the official fgaddon repository, not to mention to see it becoming part of the standard distribution.
I will take the time to do this very soon and to subscribe the developer mailing list, as well as getting acquainted to the procedures in order to introduce my addon to the developer community and all the rest.

Thank you, again, for your support and invitation.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
Author and developer of Red Griffin ATC (Wiki) - Enjoy my Youtube Channel
RedGriffin

Callsign: IK0TOJ
Version: 2020.4 git

Postby RedGriffin » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:20 pm

I am very glad to announce I have released Red Griffin ATC 1.2.2 - 22 April 2020.

You can download the latest version, as usual, from the sourceforge repository.
You are invited to test it and report your feedback and suggestions.

This is the (shameful) changelog for version 1.2.2 - 22 April 2020

- Fixed missing getprop() in updateATC() due to unknown editing procedure which unintentionally removed it, who knows why, maybe it was kate editor's pedantic highlighting when searching? I like kate editor (a very nice programmer editor also having Nasal syntax support) but sometimes it is quite annoying when it keeps the text highlighted and you can easily overwrite/replace it. I guess this was the case because it happens quite often.

For a full description and instructions on how to install the addon, please refer to the Readme file or the first message of this thread.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RedGriffin » Sun May 03, 2020 4:56 pm

I am very glad to announce I have released Red Griffin ATC 1.3.0 - 3 May 2020.

This is the changelog for version 1.3.0 - 3 May 2020

- getRadioType(): "radio" pattern is associated to tower if nothing else applies
    - Dialog can now be opened to any corner of the screen. Defaults to bottom-left position.
    - Added del() overload to dlgWindow to properly manage dialog status
    - Added settings dialog

For a full description and instructions on how to install the addon, please refer to the Readme file or the first message of this thread.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RobAndrew » Thu May 07, 2020 1:01 am

Just tried this out-a lot better, it works really well! Really looking forward to the next update there is. I'll keep using it and see if I can find anymore bugs
RobAndrew

Callsign: G-RAND
Version: 2020.

Postby RedGriffin » Thu May 07, 2020 8:33 am

RobAndrew wrote in Thu May 07, 2020 1:01 am:Just tried this out-a lot better, it works really well! Really looking forward to the next update there is. I'll keep using it and see if I can find anymore bugs

Hi there!
I am glad you had the time to try and test the new release and found it to be a lot better.
I am currently focusing on the settings dialog and deciding which features and parameters of the addon would be useful to be included in this dialog. That will make next release.

If you have ideas and suggestions, please feel free to share them.

Thank you.

Enjoy Red Griffin ATC!
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RobAndrew » Thu May 07, 2020 3:40 pm

I have one question which I forgot to ask in the last comment, maybe this could be a good feature:

I wonder whether you can turn off the written dialog that pops up at the top of the screen? It may be more authentic just to be able to hear the ATC rather than see it written out. It could be an option to see it or just hear it. Perhaps then you could make an option for "Repeat last message" if the pilot had forgotten or not heard correctly details such as QNH or runway selection. I am also aware when communicating with ATC it is the done thing, to repeat last message to ATC to confirm the message has been received correctly. I'm not sure if it's possible to integrate this or even worth the time.

Either way again I'm really loving it and look forward to more integrated, improved updates!
RobAndrew

Postby RedGriffin » Thu May 07, 2020 6:32 pm

RobAndrew wrote in Thu May 07, 2020 3:40 pm:I have one question which I forgot to ask in the last comment, maybe this could be a good feature:

I wonder whether you can turn off the written dialog that pops up at the top of the screen? It may be more authentic just to be able to hear the ATC rather than see it written out. It could be an option to see it or just hear it.

Hello there and thank you for your feedback and suggestions.
This is a good idea: I will add this option to the settings dialog.

RobAndrew wrote in Thu May 07, 2020 3:40 pm:Perhaps then you could make an option for "Repeat last message" if the pilot had forgotten or not heard correctly details such as QNH or runway selection.

I thought about this feature so many times and I understand it could be useful. The fact is the dialog is "quite crowded" already and I have to figure it out where I may place the repeat button.
I may also add this function to the menu (and there I have plenty of space! :-P ) as well as assigning a key combination for that.

RobAndrew wrote in Thu May 07, 2020 3:40 pm:I am also aware when communicating with ATC it is the done thing, to repeat last message to ATC to confirm the message has been received correctly. I'm not sure if it's possible to integrate this or even worth the time.

I have also thought about this but, at the moment, FlightGear has only one synthesized voice and I think it would make not much sense to confirm the ATC message with the very same voice used by the ATC.
It is something I however would like to implement as soon as FlightGear can use more synthesized voice types.

RobAndrew wrote in Thu May 07, 2020 3:40 pm:Either way again I'm really loving it and look forward to more integrated, improved updates!

Thank you for your appreciation, ideas and support. Please feel free to share any idea you wish to see implemented in Red Griffin ATC.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby stuart » Tue May 12, 2020 10:03 pm

BTW - FG has 2 synthesized voices that are shipped with fgdata. They are both female. If you set /sim/sound/voices/voice[1]/text or /sim/sound/voices/pilot/text you can hear the other one.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby RobAndrew » Tue May 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Where did these voices come from exactly? Is there possibility to add more?
RobAndrew

Postby RedGriffin » Wed May 13, 2020 7:33 am

stuart wrote in Tue May 12, 2020 10:03 pm:BTW - FG has 2 synthesized voices that are shipped with fgdata. They are both female. If you set /sim/sound/voices/voice[1]/text or /sim/sound/voices/pilot/text you can hear the other one.

-Stuart

Yes, you are right. Red Griffin ATC currently uses these voices:

/sim/sound/voices/ground
/sim/sound/voices/approach
/sim/sound/voices/atc

and it already uses them according to the radio type. This means in case com radio is tuned to a ground station, it uses /sim/sound/voices/ground, in case of approach station it uses /sim/sound/voices/approach and /sim/sound/voices/atc in all other cases.
I intentionally did not use /sim/sound/voices/pilot because the associated voice sounds too metallic and synthetic.

This means, in case FlightGear will ever implement different voices for ground, approach and atc, Red Griffin ATC is already capable of using them.
I may however think about using /sim/sound/voices/pilot as well to be used for pilot requests and leave to the user the choice whether to have text or voice messages or both.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RedGriffin » Sun May 17, 2020 4:11 pm

I am very glad to announce I have released Red Griffin ATC 1.4.0 - 16 May 2020.

This is the changelog for version 1.4.0 - 16 May 2020

- Added "Include Manufacturer" in settings
    - Pilot messages are now spoken via /sim/sound/voice/pilot property
    - Added "Pilot message mode" in settings
    - Added "Pilot response mode" in settings
    - Added "ATC message mode" in settings
    - Added "R" button and corresponding key binding to repeat the last ATC message
    - Callsign in settings is now written to both /sim/multiplay/callsign and /sim/user/callsign properties

I also updated the wiki page with full instructions and detailed information about the main and setting dialogs.

Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby pb321 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Tried the latest version last night and it worked very well! You've done a great job. I like the separate voices for the pilot and ATC, and the "Repeat" button and "Settings" options are very helpful.

I was thinking last night of an enhancement and have a question:

Enhancement?: It would be nice if somehow the two message streams (FlightGear AI ATC and Red Griffin ATC) could be woven together so they don't interrupt one another. In other words, could you somehow "pause" a busy FlightGear AI ATC message stream to allow the Red Griffin ATC messages to play, then return to the ATC message stream. I don't know if that's possible. This might also provide a more realistic simulation by allowing the pilot to follow the activity at the airport while taxiing to the runway and get in the message stream when it would more naturally occur.

Question: RG ATC doesn't always pick up the intended airport if there are multiple choices nearby. But I found if I tune to the frequencies of the intended airport, then it seems to display the intended frequencies. Is there another way to do this?
pb321

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby RedGriffin » Thu May 21, 2020 9:44 am

pb321 wrote in Wed May 20, 2020 4:57 pm:Tried the latest version last night and it worked very well! You've done a great job. I like the separate voices for the pilot and ATC, and the "Repeat" button and "Settings" options are very helpful.

Hello there!
I am glad you tried Red Griffin ATC and appreciated it. I am also glad to know you liked the new features. Thank you.

pb321 wrote in Wed May 20, 2020 4:57 pm:Enhancement?: It would be nice if somehow the two message streams (FlightGear AI ATC and Red Griffin ATC) could be woven together so they don't interrupt one another. In other words, could you somehow "pause" a busy FlightGear AI ATC message stream to allow the Red Griffin ATC messages to play, then return to the ATC message stream. I don't know if that's possible. This might also provide a more realistic simulation by allowing the pilot to follow the activity at the airport while taxiing to the runway and get in the message stream when it would more naturally occur.

I do not know whether this is possible in FlightGear. I need to investigate more but, as far as I can tell, I do not think this is possible. Speech Synthesis in FlightGear is done by writing data in its internal properties and I do not know whether there is one to be used to pause or stop the synthesizer.

pb321 wrote in Wed May 20, 2020 4:57 pm:Question: RG ATC doesn't always pick up the intended airport if there are multiple choices nearby. But I found if I tune to the frequencies of the intended airport, then it seems to display the intended frequencies. Is there another way to do this?

You are right. When you are in an area in which there are many airports, Red Griffin ATC gives priority to the currently tuned radio station and that also determines the current airport. At the moment, I think this is the most usable and reasonable solution in this specific case, however I am open to listen to new ideas.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope you will continue enjoying Red Griffin ATC! If you have any idea, suggestion or feature you would like to see it in Red Griffin ATC, please feel free to post it here.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby Hooray » Thu May 21, 2020 9:46 am

might be better to ask/discuss this on the devel list, if in doubt it might be easy enough to support in the future, i.e. by adding a corresponding option
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

PreviousNext

Return to Add-ons