Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Australian scenery project updates

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: Australian scenery project updates

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:54 am

With cliffs the problem is even trickier as it appears that the normal coordinates that should be generated by OSG are not getting through to the shader so the bumpmap doesn't show up

Just checking the obvious, but you did put a <generate> tag into the effect to make it produce normals?
Thorsten

Postby frtps » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Yes I did. I've traced through the code to the point that I can verify that it does call the OSG TangentSpaceGenerator routine when processing the Cliffs effect that I've written, so the linkage Effect -> OSG call is fine. I'm wondering if perhaps the UV coordinates aren't set up correctly and so the OSG TSG routine bails early. But when I get a chance I'll keep tracing it through. Very educational.
frtps

Postby frtps » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:44 pm

Just for the benefit of future readers, I've managed to get the normals generating correctly. Thorsten was on the right track, I did have <generate> tags in but had left out the one I was testing from the generated attributes in the <program> section of the effect. Also, the normals/tangents/binormals are generated as vec4, and I had them as vec3 in the shader, not sure if that had anything to do with it.
frtps

Postby merspieler » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:52 pm

The first test build of QLD is now available for download.
Please report all issues in the bucktracker on gitlab.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler
Version: next

Postby Jono » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:11 am

Hi Mate (frtps),

Those screenshots look amazing! Being a fellow Aussie Pilot I'm keen to see better Australian Scenery, I'd love to get involved and help if I can.

I've had a look through your "scenery_maker.jl" script and have installed almost all of the pre-requisites - except: "terragear toolchain"

(1) Julia - Installed
(2) Grass - Installed
(3) osmcoastline - Installed
(4) Terragear toolchain (haven't been able to find source or installer)
(5) ogr2ogr - Installed
(6) osmosis - Installed

Is anyone able to assist or point me in the right direction for the install of "Terragear toolchain"?

I'm very keen to improve the documentation around the scenery generation process, but am just after a pointer or two to get started.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Jono
Jono

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:14 am

Good day Jono,

TerraGear is the toolchain used to generate scenery (to be more specific, terrain) for FlightGear using the following data:
*) shapefiles
*) elevation data
*) airport data

More information and information about how to compile and/or install it can be found in the wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/TerraGear

Have a goo day
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby frtps » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:19 am

Jono wrote in Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:11 am:
Is anyone able to assist or point me in the right direction for the install of "Terragear toolchain"?

I'm very keen to improve the documentation around the scenery generation process, but am just after a pointer or two to get started.

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Jono

To add to D-Echo's info, I usually clone the terragear 'next' branch, make a build directory, run 'cmake <terragear top directory>' then 'make install'. Obviously you will need cmake installed as well as compilers etc. The download and compile script could be a good way to go as well of course.

Let me know if you need more pointers.
frtps

Postby Jono » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:31 am

Oh my... Such a quick reply, thanks guys.

I am a little stumped as to how I missed that wiki page regarding terragear... I must have looked at every other (non relevant) page and missed this one.

Many thanks. I'm working on the install now.

I expect my next question will be something along the lines of.. once I have everything installed and have downloaded the files i need from OpenStreetMaps... then what??
Let's cross that bridge when we get to it :-)
Jono

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:37 am

You're welcome :)

The basic process is described here rather well imo http://wiki.flightgear.org/Using_TerraGear. Of course, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask :)
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby frtps » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:54 am

So once you have the tools, you need the data. A search for 'NVIS' inside .gov.au should turn up vegetation data for the whole country and each state, so download that for the state you are interested in. The other data are landuse data, each state seems to manage their own data and fortunately they all use the same ALUM system. I keep meaning to note down download links but forget. You will also need shapefiles for each state, these are used to work out which state(s) a particular tile covers. You know about getting OSM data. And don't forget apt.dat (for the airports) from fgdata and height data from Viewfinderpanoramas.org. Keep a note of any difficulties you have and we can improve the docs and/or tools. To avoid clogging up this forum topic you could raise particular issues in the australian_scenery repository.

Then you need to create a config file to drive the construction. There is an example file called config_nsw.ini in the "recipes" directory of the repository which you can adjust to your needs, hopefully it is reasonably well documented. If you can fill in all the values that the config file wants you probably have all the data you need.

So I have tested that the tools work for WA, QLD and NSW. If you feel like having a go with Tasmania, that would be fun as it is an island and if you get it all working and manage to generate the whole place I reckon we could try getting that into terrasync as a test case for all of Australia. Otherwise getting things working for SA, VIC or NT would also save us time - the only likely problem is that states have subtly different ways of coding ALUM codes.
frtps

Postby Jono » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:43 pm

Thanks for the assistance so far.

Right now, I'm up to the "Landuse data" section on the "Using_TerraGear" Wiki. I think the most recent reply from frtps will probably fill in the blanks there.

Agree, will move further questions to the Australian Scenery Repo.

Once Again - really appreciate the support thus far.
Jono

Postby vnts » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:39 pm

I had a look on the sourceforge website for the other thread (link), and it seems the next version (2020.1) has been labelled.

If the plan is to add current regional definitions and textures to FGData it should be still be possible to merge them as textures and regional definitions are a no/low risk feature. Since the regional definitions are replacing ancient/default ones there shouldn't be much review holdup (wiki checklist), as pretty much anything is an improvement.

Kind regards
vnts

Postby merspieler » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:21 pm

[quote="frtps";p=366669Otherwise getting things working for SA, VIC or NT would also save us time[/quote]

You know how fast my server cuts through it... If the initial steps could somehow run parallel, we could be done in one to two weeks...

So stop boring it :P ... just kidding, you do an amazing job.
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby frtps » Fri May 01, 2020 12:29 am

merspieler wrote:
frtps wrote in Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:54 am:Otherwise getting things working for SA, VIC or NT would also save us time

You know how fast my server cuts through it... If the initial steps could somehow run parallel, we could be done in one to two weeks...

So stop boring it :P ... just kidding, you do an amazing job.

Indeed that server is great. The issue is not the computing power, it is manually checking how landuse data files from the various states have coded the landuse, and the layer names. This needs a sentient mind fiddling around and may only be a few minutes, or it may be a few hours because new coding is required. Although, surely if we have 3 states working there can't be that many further variations...
frtps

Postby frtps » Fri May 01, 2020 12:50 am

vnts wrote in Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:39 pm:I had a look on the sourceforge website for the other thread (link), and it seems the next version (2020.1) has been labelled.

If the plan is to add current regional definitions and textures to FGData it should be still be possible to merge them as textures and regional definitions are a no/low risk feature. Since the regional definitions are replacing ancient/default ones there shouldn't be much review holdup (wiki checklist), as pretty much anything is an improvement.

Thanks for the heads-up. I don't think textures for Australia as a whole are finished yet, but the textures for the non-tropical coastal areas are looking decent. I'm starting to run out of personal bandwidth as I've been trying to improve cliff presentation as well. As I see it the steps to take would be:
  1. Document sources of all texture swatches (almost all NSW CC-BY-4.0 orthophotos)
  2. Divide the whole country into regional definitions (only really east coast at the moment). I imagine default/temperate+dry summer/temperate+wet summer/tropical as a good start, with default being the outback.
  3. Submit textures to fgdata
  4. Once textures accepted, submit new regional xml files to fgdata

I'll make a start on (1) - shouldn't take too long, I think the only one that needs tracking is the cliff texture which was a CC-something photo on Flickr.
frtps

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery