Board index FlightGear Support

Getting 3D map models

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Getting 3D map models

Postby emrcnort » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:54 am

Hello to everyone,

I transfer the flight data received from Flightgear to another simulation program over a general protocol I wrote.
But I have to transfer not only the flight data, but also the 3D map models.

How can I get the whole map?

(Required model formats : .obj or .fbx)
emrcnort

Version: 2019.1.1

Re: Getting 3D map models

Postby Hooray » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:42 pm

What do you mean? A 3d model of the scenery (tile)? If so, fgviewer can render scenery tiles, so it must have a corresponding Osg plugin that can be used to convert a tile (in theory at least), and so does fgsd or qgis

I am afraid you will have to tell us more about your project
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby emrcnort » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:13 pm

sorry for insufficient information.

I am preparing flight simulation with Unity 3D game engine. I added a F-14B type fighter jet to the simulation I created. This aircraft acts according to the flight data I received from Flightgear in Run-Time. The movements of the simulated aircraft and the aircraft in Flightgear are exactly the same.

However, the airport, trees and buildings must be the same for my simulation to be exactly the same as Flightgear.

as a result, I want to copy the Terrain structure to my own project. Is there a way to do this?
emrcnort

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Thorsten » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:10 pm

Whether this is possible or not would seem to depend on the Unity engine - so you probably have to ask the support there whether that can read FG scenery data or not. We have no way of knowing.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:07 am

I'd suggest to search the forum for "unity" or "unity3d", and you will see that it might make sense to reach out to chriscalef (you can also search specifically for his postings), he's done a ton of unity related things with flightgear.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby chriscalef » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:09 pm

Ah ha! A fellow traveler! :D Welcome to the party, @emrcnort!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37168

I had the same idea as you, a few years ago, using flight data on the UDP stream to fly a Ka50 helicopter, and a Dragonfly ultralight, in the T3D game engine. At the same time I designed a simple terrain pager system that queries FG for heights. It's terribly inefficient, in that it goes through all the large flat areas in flightgear and asks for heights every ten meters. Rather than just copying the actual meshes from FlightGear to Torque once. :oops: But my available time and knowledge has been limited and I only need to generate the terrains once, so I have not come back around to fixing that yet.

I started in T3D, because I used to work at Garage Games and it's my "home engine", but I spent much of the past couple of years working in Unity and I ported the terrain pager system over there.

More recently, the post above is about exporting openstreetmap data (all the buildings and bridges, etc.) created for FG using the osm2city tool. What I'm doing there is importing the FG .ac files into Blender, and then exporting them into Collada for easy import into Torque. At that stage you could save them out as FBX files and bring them into your unity project.

Be warned though, one issue I ran into is the texture atlas is a png file with very irregular dimensions, 256 x 16384, so it doesn't play well with mipmapping. I converted mine to DDS with mipmapping on board. But now that I mention it I haven't actually tested to make sure that worked, so I guess I'll go do that. :lol:
chriscalef

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:29 pm

note that we do have a number of FG related tools/sources which have existing support for reading/processing terrain files.
It should be fairly straightforward to use some scripting to hook up these sources to arbitrary GIS software Atlas Installation Help

So we also have tools to create raster images from terrain files (tiles), and the code could be adapted to create GeoTIFF or some other GIS format.

It might make sense to document some of these things, and maybe even create dedicated scripts/plugins for existing GIS tools like QGIS - but it seems, many of these problems have already been solved previously:

LiDAR Experiment
xDraconian wrote:Experimenting with LiDAR this weekend. Hoping to leverage this for an increased level of detail at some custom regional airports.

The LiDAR tools seem to have become quite good at the moment.
The US has set a goal of having a complete LiDAR model of the USA by the end of 2023. I'd guess about 1/3rd has already been scanned and is currently available.

I'm quite happy with the experiment results thus far. The tricky part will be the resampling to eliminate unwanted detail (trees, houses), but maintaining a sufficient level of detail in the base mesh.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Support