Board index FlightGear Support Flying

FG 2019.1.2 Weather Scenarios: Wind/QNH not loaded correctly

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

FG 2019.1.2 Weather Scenarios: Wind/QNH not loaded correctly

Postby OE-LML » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:02 pm

Hallo!

In version 2019.1.2 I noticed that some weather parameters are not loaded correctly. It seems that especially wind speed, direction and QNH are loaded from the weather scenario which was chosen in the "FG-session" before.
E.g.: First a flight with Stormy Monday-weather, then FG is closed and started again (via Desktop Icon) with Fair Weather. Wind speed, direction and QNH are on Stormy Monday niveau (ATIS also tells you that). If you reload the weather "ingame", direction and speed is normal again, but the trees still shake as they were on a hard rock concert.

Another thing: I don't know if it happend in version 2019.1.1, but ATIS doesn't tell you the cloud layers or rain/snow correctly.

(Advanced Weather is on, happens with all different weather scenarios, got FG from official sourceforge-site, occurs with all my installed planes + UFO, nothing has been manipulated, using Win 10)

Are this known issues, any ideas how I could fix it in my FG-installation?

thx in advance, cu.
OE-LML

Re: FG 2019.1.2 Weather Scenarios: Wind/QNH not loaded corre

Postby danielHL » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:10 pm

From what I've learned, the weather string in the dialog box is incorrect when using weather scenarios. That may be by design, since they should only give an approximation of what's to come, but sadly, that's also word by word, what's transmitted via ATIS. And that's information I as a pilot would like to rely upon.

However, I've never noticed that the weather data is taken from the last session. Could that be another one of those userarchive cases?
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Postby OE-LML » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:59 pm

danielHL wrote in Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:10 pm:Could that be another one of those userarchive cases?

What's that? Is it possible to solve that? And if, how?

As I don't pay much attention to ATIS except wind and QNH, I don't know how it was in a previous FG version. But in 2019.1.2 with advanced weather on, it always tells me "no significant clouds". With advanced weather off, "METAR Data" is transmitted word by word.

cu and thx.
OE-LML

Postby SurferTim » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:35 pm

Bear in mind, this is anecdotal.
I have a script that displays the current METAR used by the Real/Advanced weather. FG sends a packet to my flight data computer (separate computer) every second.
When the weather changes in my script, it appears that it isn't applied all at the same time.
I find it best if you "check the weather" now and then, selecting "OK". That seems to apply the new weather immediately.
My last crash was because i did not "check the weather" and the wind shifted considerably on short final, leaving me stalled at 100 feet.

Using Advanced weather, you are subject to downdrafts and wind shear. Uneven airport terrain will cause these effects.
Fly low. Fly slow. Land on a dime. Twin Otter. https://github.com/SurferTim/dhc6p
My other aircraft is a Citation-X https://github.com/SurferTim/CitationX
PirateAir videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/SurferTim850
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2020.4.0

Return to Flying