Board index FlightGear Support Flying

how to use ATIS

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

how to use ATIS

Postby NewsDude » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:06 am

So, now that I'm getting more into FlightGear, I've decided that I should start to figure out how to use the more advanced features in FlightGear.

For ATIS, I've never understood how it works. For some airports I'll tune to the ATIS frequency and hear nothing. And then for others I'll be getting the ATIS at the beginning of a flight and then it never shuts up.

Help?
NewsDude

Re: how to use ATIS

Postby xDraconian » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:07 pm

To silence the ATIS, you need to change the radio frequency.

Open you radio dialog (F12)
Toggle the COM2 radio via button <->
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:21 pm

aside from silencing the ATIS, the way to learn it is to learn and understand the phraseology...

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/atc_html/chap2_section_9.html

more information can be found with this search: https://www.google.com/search?q=aircraft+ATIS+phraseology
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby NewsDude » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:08 pm

@wkitty

I know the phraseology. I mean physically use the ATIS frequencies. For KSEA as an example, I start the flight already hearing the ATIS even though I'm not tuned to the KSEA ATIS frequency. And I keep hearing it, even when I am WELL, WELL out of range.
NewsDude

Postby Lydiot » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:05 pm

NewsDude wrote in Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:08 pm:@wkitty

I know the phraseology. I mean physically use the ATIS frequencies. For KSEA as an example, I start the flight already hearing the ATIS even though I'm not tuned to the KSEA ATIS frequency. And I keep hearing it, even when I am WELL, WELL out of range.

I have noticed that too for some airports and planes.
Lydiot

Postby NewsDude » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:54 pm

I'm glad that I'm not the only one!
NewsDude

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:06 am

OH! yeah, ok... the thing is that you are hearing the ATIS on the freq you are tuned to... modeling long distance radio and providing cutoff when out of range is something that has had a little bit of work but it will take more time and effort... i remember some squelch code was added but i don't recall what it actually did...

the key is when you want to hear it, tune it in and when you don't tune it out... i mean switch freqs, of course... but hopefully it will be better in the future... for now, it is what it is ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Flying