Board index FlightGear Development Add-ons

Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

FlightGear has support for add-ons, to further extend the simulator's core functionality.

Re: Red Griffin ATC - Speaking ATC addon for Flightgear

Postby RobAndrew » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:01 pm

I'm back....

So i've tried multiple airports with multiple aircraft, and i'm still getting the issue of the pilot, asking for CTR clearance through airspace whilst taxiing. This has in fact been straight from start up (Eg opening up the program, choosing an airport and paring position and then choosing "Fly"). This is exactly what i've been doing in each instance:

Load in to the sim. Start up battery/Engines/radios (If options permit)
Then tune in to ground frequency for airport
Do comms check. Get response
ask Clearance for start up. Get response
Ask departure information. Get response
Ask for Taxi instructions. Get response.
Start taxiing. within 5 seconds of taxiing, I get a message stating "'Pilot name', requesting transition through CTR airspace" followed by message from ground "Contact approach on 'Frequency'". I have switched over to the frequency, which then gives me approval and stops the message. This might be totally intentional, it just seems strange that i'm asking for clearance through local airspace-whilst taxiing.

I have tried this in Europe and the states. It seems to be the same

Also, i'm not sure if this is intentional but when asking for comms check, it responds with "'Pilot name' reading you 5" I'm not sure why the 5 is there, whether it is intentional or not, or just another glitch.

It may be worth noting that this is off a Macbook and i'm using version 2019.1

Hopefully this was helpful. I'll keep helping any way I can if possible
RobAndrew

Callsign: G-RAND
Version: 2020.

Postby RedGriffin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:38 pm

RobAndrew wrote in Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:01 pm:I'm back....

Hello there and let me thank you for your detailed feedback.
I tried the exact procedure you reported and I could not reproduce this bug.
I tried your procedure in KSFO (San Francisco International) and used Cessna 337G Skymaster Aircraft.
Would you be so kind in telling me both the airport and aircraft you used in your test?
Thank you.
I will however do other tests and trying different aircraft/airport combinations and see whether I can reproduce your bug.

RobAndrew wrote in Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:01 pm:Also, i'm not sure if this is intentional but when asking for comms check, it responds with "'Pilot name' reading you 5" I'm not sure why the 5 is there, whether it is intentional or not, or just another glitch.

As far as I can tell about ATC phraseology, when you request ATC radio check, the response is usually a number from 1 to 5, in which 1 is barely readable and 5 is perfectly readable.
For your information, visit link http://wiki.flightgear.org/ATC_phraseology and see "Clearance" section

RobAndrew wrote in Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:01 pm:Hopefully this was helpful. I'll keep helping any way I can if possible

Thank you so much for your feedback, support and help. Every and each feedback is valuable, important and fundamental.
Thank you for taking the time in testing Red Griffin ATC.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
Author and developer of Red Griffin ATC (Wiki) - Enjoy my Youtube Channel
RedGriffin

Callsign: IK0TOJ
Version: 2020.4 git

Postby RobAndrew » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:03 pm

So i've just tried it at KSFO with the Cessna 337 Skymaster and I'm afraid to say that it's doing the same there as well. This happens with every airport with every aircraft.
Personally the only thing I can narrow it down to is the OS. Because in any combination it seems to do this. When you change frequency though, you're request is cleared and it stops. It may be worth looking in to the "request CTR" option a bit and see if there's anything that's missing or doesn't belong? Or maybe see if the same happens on another mac? I'm not sure what else could be the issue.

Really wish I could help more!
RobAndrew

Postby RedGriffin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:34 pm

RobAndrew wrote in Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:03 pm:So i've just tried it at KSFO with the Cessna 337 Skymaster and I'm afraid to say that it's doing the same there as well. This happens with every airport with every aircraft.

Hi there and thank you for your feedback. I tried many airports and aircrafts but I could not reproduce the bug you reported. Not that the aircraft could make a difference, airport however can make a difference and, in particular, the number and types of radio stations available.
I have also tried to use my addon in my Mac but I could not see the bug you reported.
I truly wonder what it could possibly be. I followed the same procedure you wrote in your past message (and it seems you followed the correct procedure) but never got the CTR message like you reported. I also checked the code responsible both for the taxi and CTR requests and there is no connection between them.
I will continue to investigate on this but, as far as I can tell, everything seems to be all right, at least here and both in my Linux and Mac.
In case you can provide more clues or see something relevant to the bug, please do not hesitate to share it with your ideas and thoughts. I really hate buggy software! :-D

RobAndrew wrote in Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:03 pm:Really wish I could help more!

You are helping a lot already and thank you for that.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby NewsDude » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:46 pm

I am getting the same bug on my Mac and I believe I know what is happening.

The keybind for CTR Clearance and the keybind for left rudder are the same. 0/insert. According to the Property Browser, key 48 is the same for ctrl+0 and 0.

For spec details I am running a 2018 MacBook pro with Catalina (10.15.3).

I am also running FlightGear 2019.2.0.

Quick update:

I just ran through all of the keybinds and it seems that you've got some flip-flopped, and for others, they are the same as FlightGear keybinds.

Is there any way to disable keyboard support, and just use the GUI?
NewsDude

Postby RobAndrew » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:03 am

How is it so that the maker themselves don't get this error then? I'm assuming that they to, are using the rudder/nose wheel to steer to the runway? It's reassuring to see someone else coming up with the issue though-see, it's not just me!
RobAndrew

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:10 am

if they have a joystick or are using mouse control, they won't be hitting the buttons ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby SeniorM-TZ » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:42 am

RedGriffin wrote in Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:25 am:Hello there!
I tested the 777 right now with Red Griffin ATC and it properly reads and sets COM radio frequencies of this aircraft. Maybe you forgot to turn radios on?
Red Griffin ATC takes into consideration both the radio status (on or off) and volume. Specifically, radio (either COM1 or COM2) must be on and volume higher that 10%.

Thanks for the reply, but, i tried it again and it looks like all other Aircrafts that i have which have 'COM 1' 'COM 2' frequency config on their radio display, are getting the communications fairly, but the other one with 'VHF L,R&C' radio configuration like the B777, on my side it ain't working.

See the images below.

B757 with 'COM 1&2'
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cWKKw6 ... p=drivesdk

and B777 with 'VHF L,R&C'
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-2pltM ... p=drivesdk

Airport tested HTDA
FG version : 2019.2.0
Find me at HTDA and HTKJ (Dar es Salaam & Kilimanjaro, Tanzania)

CallSign: MD-250
Air Tanzania livery request for 787 and q400-8.
SeniorM-TZ

Callsign: MD-250

Postby RedGriffin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:59 am

NewsDude wrote in Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:46 pm:I am getting the same bug on my Mac and I believe I know what is happening.

The keybind for CTR Clearance and the keybind for left rudder are the same. 0/insert. According to the Property Browser, key 48 is the same for ctrl+0 and 0.

BINGO!!! You are the man! :-D
That was the problem and I could not get this bug because I never use the keypad to control the aircraft. I either use a joystick or mouse.
For your information, this is caused only when "Num Lock" is active and, of course, it maps 0/insert to 0.
The bug has however been fixed by changing the way I evaluate key commands. Now it works and I will soon release a new version (actually, a small revision).
Thank you for your help and for having figured it out! 8)

NewsDude wrote in Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:46 pm:I am also running FlightGear 2019.2.0.

I would love to run this version but, unfortunately, it does not seem stable with my custom scenery for central Italy.

NewsDude wrote in Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:46 pm:I just ran through all of the keybinds and it seems that you've got some flip-flopped, and for others, they are the same as FlightGear keybinds.

This is strange because when I decided the keys for Red Griffin ATC I made sure they were not used by FlightGear. However, I guess you noticed that because of the way I was managing key bindings and I guess this should be fixed with the latest corrections.

NewsDude wrote in Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:46 pm:Is there any way to disable keyboard support, and just use the GUI?

This could be a nice feature for the next release and it is super easy to implements. Thank you for this idea.

RobAndrew wrote in Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:03 am:How is it so that the maker themselves don't get this error then? I'm assuming that they to, are using the rudder/nose wheel to steer to the runway? It's reassuring to see someone else coming up with the issue though-see, it's not just me!

I am sorry for the inconvenience and I think you noticed this bug because you are using the keypad for controlling which is something I never do. I usually use a joystick or mouse, which I find to be, in both cases, more precise and effective than a keyboard. My opinion, of course, maybe you like the keyboard better.
However, the bug has now been fixed and I will release a new version in few days.

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:10 am:if they have a joystick or are using mouse control, they won't be hitting the buttons ;)

That was the case! I always use a joystick or a mouse, however I tend to operate Red Griffin ATC with the keyboard, especially when I use the mouse.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RedGriffin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:11 am

SeniorM-TZ wrote in Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:42 am:Thanks for the reply, but, i tried it again and it looks like all other Aircrafts that i have which have 'COM 1' 'COM 2' frequency config on their radio display, are getting the communications fairly, but the other one with 'VHF L,R&C' radio configuration like the B777, on my side it ain't working.

Hello there!
As for B777, did you push the power button of the radio you want to use? To power the radio on, you need to "push" (click with left mouse button) the volume knob of the corresponding radio (VHF L, R & C, which is located just below the "MIC" button and has an arrow in it. When you push the power on button, you will see the "green light" on. At this point Red Griffin ATC detects your radio is on and can use it.

Please let me know if this was the case.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope you can enjoy Red Griffin ATC!
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby SeniorM-TZ » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:01 am

Hello there!
As for B777, did you push the power button of the radio you want to use? To power the radio on, you need to "push" (click with left mouse button) the volume knob of the corresponding radio (VHF L, R & C, which is located just below the "MIC" button and has an arrow in it. When you push the power on button, you will see the "green light" on. At this point Red Griffin ATC detects your radio is on and can use it.

Please let me know if this was the case.

Thank you for your feedback and I hope you can enjoy Red Griffin ATC!

Aha! Yes, there we go! Its on and detected, after following up your advice.

Thank you so much and sorry for the inconvenience.

SeniorM-TZ

Postby RedGriffin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:38 am

SeniorM-TZ wrote in Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:01 am:Aha! Yes, there we go! Its on and detected, after following up your advice.

Thank you so much and sorry for the inconvenience.

I am glad to know everything is working right now.

Enjoy Red Griffin ATC and please feel free to send your feedback and suggestions.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby SeniorM-TZ » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:43 pm

Ok, thank you.

SeniorM-TZ

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:27 pm

I am very glad to announce I have released Red Griffin ATC 1.2.0 stable, 4 April 2020.

You can download the latest version, as usual, from the sourceforge repository.
You are invited to test it and report your feedback and suggestions.

This is the changelog for version 1.2.0 - 4 April 2020

- Improved key bindings management. It now checks whether the "ctrl" and "shift" are pressed besides checking the actual key binding. This avoids keyboard conflicts in some cases, in particular with "Num Lock" and numerical keypad
    - Added "You are already approved in CTR airspace" message
    - Added COM3 to comply to the radio configuration of some aircrafts, mainly some airliners

For a full description and instructions on how to install the addon, please refer to the Readme file or the first message of this thread.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

Postby RedGriffin » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:34 pm

I am very glad to announce I have released Red Griffin ATC 1.2.1 stable, 18 April 2020.

You can download the latest version, as usual, from the sourceforge repository.
You are invited to test it and report your feedback and suggestions.

This is the changelog for version 1.2.1 - 18 April 2020

- Added degreesDifference() function to compute the difference between two headings and turn direction
    - When approaching a runway during landing, dialog now shows the correction to runway alignment
    - Improved check for radio useability. Some aircrafts have incomplete and/or unusable radio implementations
    - Dialog now shows course to current CTR

For a full description and instructions on how to install the addon, please refer to the Readme file or the first message of this thread.
Red Griffin - IK0TOJ
RedGriffin

PreviousNext

Return to Add-ons