Board index FlightGear Support Installation Mac

FlightGear won't open after install

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Mac.

FlightGear won't open after install

Postby Storm_Squad » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:42 pm

I installed the FlightGear application for Mac yesterday. I waited overnight for the game to fully download, then I clicked the application to open it.

After this, the FlightGear icon appears on my dock, jumps for around 1 minute, then stops jumping. It then tells me that it is not responding, and on the odd occasion a window will appear that tells me that the application is "Verifying".

I'm not sure how I will be able to play this game, although my computer has the right specifications for the game to run.

Please help!
Storm_Squad

Re: FlightGear won't open after install

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:27 pm

what is your OS version?
did you get the latest release or the latest nightly compile?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Storm_Squad » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:31 pm

Hi,

I use Mac OS X Catalina (10.15), the most recent operating system.

However, I deleted the game and re-installed it today, so I'm going to try it out when I can, as it should hopefully work.
Storm_Squad

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:21 pm

since you have catalina, you have to use one of the latest nightlies until there's a release that supports catalina properly...

i would suggest one of the nightly-full.dmg files from this link http://download.flightgear.org/builds/nightly/...
FWIW: there is on-going work to get the code signing to work properly so you may have to tell your system to go ahead and use the app anyway...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Windows 10 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:54 am

I have Windows 10 Insider pc and it didn't work too for me
Windows 10

Postby Storm_Squad » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:57 am

Hey, Windows 10.

I'm not too sure why this would happen, but it is most likely a problem with your internet or operating system, meaning that you won't be able to play FlightGear on that device.

I don't know about Windows problems, as I own a Mac, so I'm probably not the best person to talk to.

Sorry!
Storm_Squad

Postby Flightmotid » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:30 am

Hi,

I also use Mac OS X Catalina (10.15.2) and have tried the “nightly” release (FlightGear-2019.2.0-nightly-full.dmg). The program starts fine and I can chose an airport and get scenery. I can cycle through the various views and all the cockpit controls seem to work.

However the engine almost never starts, even in the tutorial. Using the automatic start from the pull down menu usually fails (a quick message flashes up saying “lean the mixture and start manually”).

A couple of times the engine started (not sure how/why) but the plane would not move. All the checklists (and external views) show no tie downs or chalks. Parking brake is off. Full throttle and no movement. Tried tapping the “b” key in hopes of cycling the breaks but no change.

According to the tutorials and check lists I’m not missing anything. There must be something I’m missing or perhaps this nightly version is also not really ready for Catalina.

The comments above are based on a 27 March 2020 version.

I just tried the 29 March 2020 version and it will not open at all.
The following excerpt from the crash log might be relevant:
———-
Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @rpath/libdbus-1.3.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/FlightGear.app/Contents/MacOS/fgfs
Reason: image not found
———-

I guess the drill is to periodically try the nightly versions hoping to find one that runs.
Flightmotid

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:29 am

as noted, it cannot find libdbus... i don't know that you can do anything to fix this but i have linked it to the developers' mailing list... hopefully we'll have an answer in the next days or one of the devs will drop by with more information or requests...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:27 pm

i got the following answer from James on the dev mailing list...

That’s excellent news (seriously) - I am adding SWIFT support to the macOS build, this failure is expected until I fix the packaging scripts - which I couldn’t do until just now when I verified the build worked with DBus. So please let folks on the forum know the macOS nightly will be broken for a few days until I fix the scripts!
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Flightmotid » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:56 pm

Thanks wkitty42.

I appreciate the efforts of those working to get FlightGear compatible with Catalina and look forward to using what looks like a great simulator.
Flightmotid

Postby NewsDude » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:18 am

I've gone through what I believe to be all the previous macOS builds of FlightGear, and no matter what aircraft I'm using they all crash right around "Initializing Subsystems".

Has anyone found a macOS version which works? Obviously, as @wkitty42 has informed us, the Nightly build is going to be down for a few days. But is there any older version which might work in the meantime?
NewsDude

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:45 pm

an update from the developers' mailing list...

From a quick test : the packaging issue is fixed now, and therefore nightly builds from today onwards should have working Swift support. I installed the Swift client but I’m a bit lost in setting up the models correctly (the Swift client UI is a good testament to what happens when engineers design user interfaces…)

So if anyone who knows Swift wants to try on macOS and let me know, that would be excellent.

so two things:
1. the new nightlies should be operational on Mac Catalina again
2. if folk want to try using the SWIFT integration to fly on VATSIM, they are welcome to give it a try... SWIFT is discussed elsewhere on these forums and i think there should be a wiki page for it as well...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby NewsDude » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:55 pm

1.) Nightly is still a no-go for Catalina.

2.) what even is SWIFT??? I've never heard of it before this update.
NewsDude

Postby NewsDude » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:00 pm

Yippie Kai Yay!!!!

FlightGear is now working again for Mac users!!! The Nightly update from today has been successful!

To James and the other FlightGear developers who worked on correcting this issue: I applaud your efforts over the last 24 hours.
NewsDude

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 pm

NewsDude wrote in Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:55 pm:2.) what even is SWIFT??? I've never heard of it before this update.

like i wrote above, it is a tool for enabling you to fly via VATSIM... some folk prefer it over the FG multiplayer network... VATSIM is extremely life-like with no shenanigans or funny business tolerated...
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Swift
https://www.vatsim.net/about
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Next

Return to Mac