Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Trying to get started

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Trying to get started

Postby flightsim » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:13 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new here and new to flightsimming in general. I've been trying to get started this evening but I'm encountering some (probably beginners') issues. First of all, I have to mention I'm trying this out just using my laptop keyboard for now without even having a mouse, but I understood this should theoretically be possible? The first issue I have is that each time I start the screen with the 172P (and even after resetting several times), the AI is banked 40 degrees and the turn and bank indicator even more, while standing on the runway... Is this normal? I've been trying to adjust the AI but whatever I do (touchpad, keyboard mouse buttons), a notification "Horizon Offset" appears and the number only ever goes up, I can't find any way to bring it down. With the altimeter I have the same issue: I can increase the setting but can't find any way to decrease it... That's how far I've come in an hour or two... Any insights about what I'm doing wrong, or is what I'm trying to do simply not possible? Thank you so much!
flightsim

Re: Trying to get started

Postby wlbragg » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:48 am

The instruments don't work until you start the aircraft or at least bring the electrical system online.
That's not your problem is it?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby xen_steda » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:47 am

I would say it is better to wait until you have at least a mouse. You can find a decent joystick at a thrift store for 4 bucks. It may be a good idea to disable AI traffic until you get your bearings on the UI.

edit: wrong AI, although disabling AI traffic can help with low spec machines just fyi.
Last edited by xen_steda on Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
xen_steda

Postby WoodSTokk » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:06 am

I think flightsim means 'atitude indicator' with 'AI'.
As far as i know, the gyro inside the AI on the C172p is suction driven. So you must start the engine and wait some seconds and the AI will allign it self.
You can adjust the setting knobs with the mouse wheel or the left and middle mouse button.
If your Laptop has no middle button, try to press both (left and right) at same time. I know Linux simulate the middle button by pressing both buttons.
I dont know if Windows or Mac do it also. But you can buy a wireless mouse for less money and can use it also for other programs. Nothing to loose.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Return to Flying