Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Info/state overlay

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Info/state overlay

Postby RookieDave » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:17 am

Is there a way to display the last given key command as an overlay on-screen?
(similar to something like IL2 where you hit Flaps and it shows up to confirm that flaps are now extended)
This would be helpful for things like Mixture and Prop-pitch that, for some aircraft, need fine adjustment.
thanks!
RookieDave

Re: Info/state overlay

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:41 am

Sure. You can create a canvas dialog or a tooltip - you just need some Nasal-coding to get it done.

(In a good aircraft you should however see a lever move in the cockpit and an indicator for flap extension - the thing to observe to check mixture setting is the EGT gauge, for prop pitch is the RPM gauge - these things take space on the panel for a reason, which is that a pilot should watch them when he adjusts these controls...)
Thorsten

Postby RookieDave » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:54 am

ah, thank you for the tip on the EGT and RPM - I stared at the 2D cockpit for quite a while to try work that out by trial and error.

I'll have a bash at canvas dialog, it doesn't seem to be something anyone has already made.
cheers
RookieDave

Postby Bjoern » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:53 pm

As Thorsten said, try to use the gauges to monitor what your airplane is doing instead of overlays. Articles such as this one can teach the intricacies of mixture, prop, manifold pressures, etc.: https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safet ... the-engine

Trial & error is also a valid option as you won't need to pay any damage. It's a simulator after all. ;)
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:01 pm

Simulators don't always capture the "feel" of what they are attempting to simulate. There is a hud display that gives you some feedback. I'm sure there are some that like to use it to enhance their experience even if not a reality in that particular aircraft.
I would look at this "overlay" you want to potentially design as the same type of enhanced feedback for a possible "better experience", nothing wrong with it. Who knows, maybe some aircraft manufacturer will see it and adopt the concept into a real aircraft, kind of like what they did with MFD's or any advancements.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby RookieDave » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:19 am

All valid points thank you for your excellent responses. I do enable hud by default but I'd also benefit from learning a bit more theory and familiarity with the cockpit!
I'll look into how to tweak the hud to include data from a few more gauges.
RookieDave

Postby FlugHund » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:44 am

FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Return to Flying