Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Square Sun etc. Raspberry Pi4 (4GB)

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Square Sun etc. Raspberry Pi4 (4GB)

Postby Puffergas » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:09 pm

Burned just the server image. -- updated. -- Added PPA. -- installed FG.

Results: It would load to the point to show the airport then crash, when loading from the included launcher and the Cessna. When loaded via the Terminal and Cessna the Terminal would report aircraft errors in red text (something like only one augment). However it would load successfully if loaded via Terminal and the DC-3 but without sound. After turning off some options to increase frame rate, FG performed nice (without sound, pooh). The mountains might look nicer in this version. The auto weather must of been on because the clouds loaded and that was a mind blowing experience. Nice! I did not see any noticeable performance improvements over 32bit Raspbian. Still a square sun and etc..
Puffergas

Postby Puffergas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:32 pm

I have to report that some of my lock ups, in the last two days, were from a static discharge from my index finger into the Pi4.... :oops:
Puffergas

Postby Puffergas » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:35 pm

I am revisiting this and wanted to report that one of the problems was that Ubuntu would turn on cap-lock and num-lock so one needs to keep an eye on the keyboard LED. Otherwise it could appear that there was a computer lock-up. After boot-up the cap-lock stays off. Also, it was true that one of my Pi4's had static discharge damage. The sound needs to be turned on in the FG menu bar. Might have better performance however I need to use it more. Does the desktop need to be installed ? It would be interesting to make a SD card for just FG and the minimal Linux OS.
Puffergas

Postby enrogue » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:36 pm

Flightgear won't run from the console, but a very minimal install could be done with the xorg server, a window manager (openbox), a menu, a terminal (xterm or rxvt), and flightgear itself (which if installed from a package will pull in all sorts of stuff)

I think doing the download_and_compile build will install most of the minimum, but maybe more would need to be added - something to experiment with
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Previous

Return to Graphics