Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle - Bugfixes

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle - Bugfixes

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:44 pm

Thorsten this is really obvious but you have updated your nightly to include the last commit by the JSBSIM team (I can get a commit hash if you like)?

It's kinda expensive timewise to do that on a Win setup which is banned from the internet, so no, this isn't the very latest, ~ 1 1/2 weeks old I guess.

Starting a 3200 entry to KSC (which came in over Mexico, not over the USA as I was expecting - but hopefully that's acceptable) started in CSS pitch and roll. If the idea is the pilot manually flies the scenario I can understand that - but is that what is supposed to happen?

Actually the scenario doesn't push buttons for you :D So if you don't want to fly manual, you have to press AUTO PITCH and YAW/Roll.

Likewise, if you want TACAN, you switch it on (you can fly by GPS if you prefer, that is on by default).

If you did not switch on AUTO mode and otherwise did nothing, I don't know what would happen. If you did switch on AUTO, the more relevant question is what pages 2 and 3 looked like.

If the AP did not fly you into a viable TAEM pattern in the end, then this is a clear problem. Unless you're using the low energy entry - the AP can't solve that one unless you actually switch on low energy flight rules.

The end of the dotted line on the trajectory map was also in Mexico as soon as the scenario started

The dotted line doesn't know about aerodynamics and lift though - the end is the ballistic impact point in the atmosphere-less case.

g) Things such as cockpit detail, ADI simulation detail, MDU update speed, enhanced displays were changed by the scenario.

Are you sure?

They're saved as part of the aircraft persistent data. Since FG thinks SpaceShuttle-launch and SpaceShuttle-entry are two distinct airplanes, they both come with their own set of persistent data. So the more likely scenario is that you've never set these parameters for the entry mission phase before.

If executing a scenario genuinely managed to change them, then I am deeply worried...

h) I never saw YAW CONTROL AERO - as late as Mach 1 I saw the yaw jets fire.

They might assist - probably they should not, but if you managed to fly Mach 1, you were under rudder control. The jets are by far not powerful enough to counter the aerodynamical forces in that regime.

Edit: Okay, quick visual comparison, your entry pattern should have returned to the nominal trajectory by page 2, the termination of the dotted line just above Yukanan peninsula is normal, and you should have been delivered to Florida. The horizon draw problem I can't reproduce, seems to work for me somehow...
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:56 pm

Ok - sounds that everything is fine - apart from the jets firing when they should not - which I will try to reproduce...
On page 2, I approached to the right of the line, but at the end it did end up on trajectory - so that seems ok then.

The one with have by pressing H ?
Did you have coherent informations on the PFD for the range to target and Delta Azimuth ?

Yes and yes. It just was not displaying them on the HUD.

It's kinda expensive timewise to do that on a Win setup which is banned from the internet, so no, this isn't the very latest, ~ 1 1/2 weeks old I guess.

If you have e1ecab0a158b3a5b56352d2702c806368edb066e I guess my theory is wrong...
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 pm

It just was not displaying them on the HUD.

Not sure it should do that any more - any such function is at least two generations of entry guidance old. Is that even documented anywhere?
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:27 pm

Well - just last week I certainly saw entry information on the HUD in the bottom right and I spawned a second scenario and it showed up that time...?
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:46 am

Hm, I just tried and I don't see entry info appearing....
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:19 am

@wkitty - could you check whether your joystick by any chance transmits a NaN anywhere into /controls/ or /fdm/jsbsim/fcs/ before it is properly wiggled?
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:37 am

Not these ones here?
https://pastebin.com/dwpSpprx

There are indeed two that were deleted, but azimuth, range, AOA deviation etc should still be shown...?
legoboyvdlp

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:29 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:19 am:@wkitty - could you check whether your joystick by any chance transmits a NaN anywhere into /controls/ or /fdm/jsbsim/fcs/ before it is properly wiggled?

yes, i plan to do that the next time i reboot as well as also seeing what js_demo gives me...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:33 pm

Not these ones here?

Not sure if things like hud-mode are still driven though... Let's keep it in mind, it might be something.

The end of the dotted line on the trajectory map was also in Mexico as soon as the scenario started - also, despite the trajectory display starting as showing "NO HORIZON" - the horizon was in fact showing, looks like the label is not updated to the actual state of the map

That actually might have been the bug I'm hunting - if the dialog display update loop crashed due to a random Nasal glitch, this is what you'd see - the display not responding to buttons (the buttons themselves would still work because they're not loop-controlled).

Can you produce this reliably, or was it a one-time thing?
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:39 pm

The issue I had actually was - the state of the map isn't actually set according to the state of the buttons on launching of the map.

The display responds to the buttons fine - but say you open the map, turn the horizon on and close it, then reopen the map the horizon will still be on but the button label will show No Horizon.

I can still check for it though to make absolutely sure.
legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:42 pm

And no - it cannot be reproduced - wondering if its due to starting with a certain scenario (entry, in orbit) etc for the first time?

And a new one - the TAEM autopilot commanded the elevons to full up resulting in destruction... the log and a screenshot:
https://pastebin.com/raw/vjY0e2X3

Integrator windup of the channel that should be disabled - again?
legoboyvdlp

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:16 pm

And no - it cannot be reproduced - wondering if its due to starting with a certain scenario (entry, in orbit) etc for the first time?

If Richard is correct and we have random Nasal glitches due to the GC, it'd affect everything - most cases you'd just see as minor glitches though - like a stuck horizon in a dialog. Only the cases where a guidance or control loop has problems make themselves felt drastically.

And a new one - the TAEM autopilot commanded the elevons to full up resulting in destruction.

Yep, I had that one as well.

That I believe is not an integrator windup because you can see that the guidance diamond in the HUD isn't just passed (also ADI error needles are actually good) - an integration windup would give you a bad error set. Also, I was able to disengage AP and got a normal response to controls, again not characteristic of an integrator windup.

As far as I understand it it is a guidance glitch, although the log gives no clue as to why it happens (and I also don't have one) :(
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:10 pm

Okay, we can clear the stuck horizon from the list - that's a Shuttle-side issue I've managed to reproduce and understand, fix soon to be pushed.
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:22 pm

Hey there.

Small one
I remarked that with launch scenario ( already for quite a few months), with OMS on press/arm for assist, there was some red PC on the meds, weird ?

GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby eatdirt » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:41 pm

@wkitty, I've just managed to destroy the Shuttle at ignition by pulling my joystick back and holding it locked there BUT before starting fgfs on the command line. That must be an initialization issue!
If I pull the joystick well after starting fgfs, but before pressiong SHITF+I, nothing happens, as it should. Could you test if you get the same symptoms, I am able to reproduce it at 100%.

Nothing in the console, up to this (which may be the consequence of the explosion)

Code: Select all
Nasal runtime error: floating point error in math.asin()
  244.69 [ALRT]:nasal        at /home/chris/.Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/stages.nas, line 954
  244.69 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: /home/chris/.Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/failures.nas, line 47
  244.69 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: /home/chris/.Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/limits.nas, line 118
  244.69 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: /home/chris/.Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/stages.nas, line 553
  245.21 [ALRT]:nasal      Reading i-loaded stage 2 trajectory display data.

And these lines. What's going on here? Especially if I hold the joystick locked, does FG trims it back to zero while it is not?

Code: Select all
Trim Results:
       Angle of Attack:    7.5  wdot: -9.04e-02 Tolerance: 1e-03  Failed
              Throttle:    0.5  udot: -3.21e+01 Tolerance: 1e-03  Failed
            Pitch Trim:      0  qdot:  2.35e-07 Tolerance: 1e-04  Passed
            Roll Angle: 1.1e-14  vdot: -3.18e-15 Tolerance: 1e-03  Passed
              Ailerons:      0  pdot: -2.11e-23 Tolerance: 1e-04  Passed
                Rudder:      0  rdot:  1.64e-22 Tolerance: 1e-04  Passed

Finally, I've spotted that, sometimes, and independently if I pull the joystick or not, I get a random number in axis 4 instead of the usual 0. And, axis 4 does not exist for the Warthog, js_demo returns nothing there. Again, it looks like that, sometimes, initialisation is missed :(

PS: I am back on next branch, git snapshot 15th of December
eatdirt

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight