Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Poor performance, low fps to high fps and gittery cockpit.

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Poor performance, low fps to high fps and gittery cockpit.

Postby Stagjeff » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:27 am

Hi, I need some help, I've had a scourer of the forum and its all quite confusing to a very newbie like me!
My fps seems to fluctuate a lot from 5 to 35 and gitters making it rather unpleasant to use. I have tried switching all the graphics options either off or low to not much avail.
I'm just looking to fix the fps :(
system spec:
Windows 10
i7 6700hq
12gb ram
Latest flight gear version
Nvidia gtx 960m
Occurs with multiple aircraft and locations!
Not sure where the console is.
Stagjeff

Re: Poor performance, low fps to high fps and gittery cockpi

Postby danielHL » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:49 am

Hi,

can you post a screenshot of what you mean by "gittery cockpit"? Is this an intermittent issue or is there a graphics issue all the time? Is only the aircraft interior not rendered properly or also scenery and outside views?
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:45 pm

your computer should definitely be able to handle FlightGear, are you able to run other OpenGL software or even just a benchmark like FurMark3D ?

Also, if this is on a laptop, be sure to connect your AC adapter to prevent the power saving mode from kicking in.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:47 pm

Please also make sure you are actually using the high-performance Nividia GPU - not any integrated (e.g. Intel GPU). On my laptop it seemed that Windows automatically chose the Intel GPU for FlightGear until I specified it should always use the Nividia one in the Nividia Control Panel
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:01 pm

right, as far as I remember, the help/about dialog should display the GPU model/name - and the rendering menu should display a warning if Intel is detected.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:56 pm

i don't know what "gittery" is supposed to be... to you mean "jittery" as in jumpy and hesitating?

are you downloading scenery via terrasync or do you have the scenery downloaded and installed via an external process before flying?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Graphics