Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

The Compositor

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Re: The Compositor

Postby slawekmikula » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Icecode GL wrote in Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:18 pm: They still need some kind of guideline to know what to remove, what to keep and what to add though. But yeah, I agree. :)

Maybe when someone (I? or someone else) is using/testing such an aircraft with the Compositor one can write somewhere (on the wiki's separate page ?) what is wrong with the aircraft and maybe how to circumvent this. For example C172 has issue (at least with my configurations) with: a) aircraft shadow b) gauges reflections. At least C172 has option to disable shadow (Aircraft options) but nonetheless without it it renders something on the windows and gauge glass (reflections?) that is totally opaque and cannot be turned off. It can be forwarded to aircraft maintainers right now even when they does not use Compositor enabled builds. Only my 2 cents.
slawekmikula

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:00 am

Necolatis has provided me with a compositor-enabled binary for WIn since Mr. Jenkins still refuses to produce anything useful, but sadly the compositor is a no-show for me (on a GeForce 1080).

What I see with ALS enabled is

(no shadows despite being enabled, broken tree rendering, a mysterious white square in the right bottom)

There a no rendering-related errors in the console

what is see with the default compositor pipeline is sort of okay, there is an error-feast related to geometry shaders in the console - but these are landmass things and have been broken for me for a while, so I guess it's normal - the rest looks kind of okay.

So this is as far as I got - without error messages I'm unfortunately unable to provide any more clues as to what is failing.

Naively trying to start the F-16 (rather than the unassuming Seneca) with the default pipeline resulted in an error log for two minutes before I simply gave up - apparently there's a gazillion of effects that can't be found.
Thorsten

Postby icecode » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:04 am

Weird... The only possible issues I can think of are 1) missing fgdata, but I assume you are using the latest 2) simgear not being static linked into fgfs.exe, but I don't think that's the case.

What's the value of the property /sim/version/compositor-support?
icecode

Version: next

Postby icecode » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:13 am

Maybe when someone (I? or someone else) is using/testing such an aircraft with the Compositor one can write somewhere (on the wiki's separate page ?) what is wrong with the aircraft and maybe how to circumvent this.

Yes, I agree. There is a section in the wiki article (Aircraft dev guidelines) where we can collect all of these tips.
icecode

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:50 am

Weird... The only possible issues I can think of are 1) missing fgdata, but I assume you are using the latest

Not quite the latest but definitely after the relevant last commits to effects. Besides - for missing files there should be errors in the console (at least the F-16 had them aplenty).

simgear not being static linked into fgfs.exe, but I don't think that's the case.

Only Necolatis can answer that one, but again, if there's functions not found on a binary level, there usually are errors.

What's the value of the property /sim/version/compositor-support?

Will check later today (different computer)...
Thorsten

Postby Gijs » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:07 am

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten wrote in Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:00 am:Necolatis has provided me with a compositor-enabled binary for WIn

I used this binary from enrogue, maybe worth trying if that makes a difference? I have working shadows, but there seem to be some issues when adding multiple lights (will try to produce a proper report later).

Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby slawekmikula » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:43 am

Thorsten wrote in Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:00 am: (a mysterious white square in the right bottom)

It was something like additional view for depth buffer (?). Something on it could be seen when view was e.g. in the cockpit where objects were near the camera. It appeared some time ago when compiling from sources. After additional merges from Icecode GL the view dissapeared. I suppose the binary is from that time.
slawekmikula

Postby icecode » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:52 am

Oh, didn't notice the white square part. Yes, that's for visualizing the depth buffer. It's from an old testing Compositor pipeline in FGData. @Thorsten, are you running FG with --compositor=Compositor/ALS/als ?
icecode

Postby Necolatis » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:18 pm

slawekmikula wrote in Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:43 am: I suppose the binary is from that time.

No its not, its fairly fresh, made a couple of days before he got it.
I would double check that its running with something like this:
Code: Select all
--compositor=Compositor/ALS/als
--prop:bool:/sim/rendering/als/shadows/enabled=true
--prop:int:/sim/rendering/als/shadows/sun-atlas-size=2048

I use the exact same binary as you Thorsten and it works fine. Yes for some aircraft there is many effect errors, its mostly those aircraft which have effects that defines their own techniques. Also some airports give effect errors.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:36 pm

I would double check that its running with something like this:

You can do that by looking at the screenshot I posted - the property browser instances show that all these parameters are set (which is why I included it) :D

It's obvious that ALS as such is running, and I tested the default pipeline and it looks different - see above.

I use the exact same binary as you Thorsten and it works fine.

I believe the question was - is it possible that it refers to dlls which you have on your system in some variant but I have not.
Thorsten

Postby Necolatis » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:12 pm

The dlls I use I got from downloading latest nightly I think.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:55 pm

Well, if I see this 'debug window' in the lower corner, IcecodeGL identifies that as 'an old version' and you see no such thing - are we certain I have the binary you think I have?

I am certain I have the binary I downloaded from you - not only because I installed it, but I also didn't have a running compositor binary before and I am sure the compositor is running because it responds to the right flags (ALS is no longer runtime switchable, I can change between default and ALS pipeline, I get compositor-related errors for the F-16,...)
Thorsten

Postby icecode » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:08 pm

I meant an old version of FGData.
icecode

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:09 pm

Okay - so I'll try updating FGData to nightly of today next - and we'll see.
Thorsten

Postby Necolatis » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:16 pm

Thorsten wrote in Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:55 pm:Well, if I see this 'debug window' in the lower corner, IcecodeGL identifies that as 'an old version' and you see no such thing - are we certain I have the binary you think I have?

The little white windows in your screen comes from fgdata, so if its old, its your fgdata that is old or you didn't start with --compositor=Compositor/ALS/als

The binary I gave you I copied from my the 2019.2.0 compositor enabled FG which I use myself, so its the same. Just to verify that, 23643648 bytes on fgfs.exe, last modified 27 Nov 6:21pm correct?
— Al Gore
Necolatis

PreviousNext

Return to Effects and shaders