Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Cockpit development

Concorde cockpit redesign

Discussion about creating 2d and 3d cockpits.

Re: Concorde cockpit redesign

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:02 pm

i saw it the other day and thought immediately of you and how much you like the concorde... and the paint job is quite likable and beautifully done even though it is basically an advertisement...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby V12 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:48 pm

Next small step - I'm testing new AP GlideSlope logic. Original mode had 2 nasty problems, when AP was swithched into Glide Slope Arm mode :
1. this mode disconnected altitude hold logic till aircraft catch GS, there was possibility to CFIT
2. flying procedure approach with specified waypoint altitude used default routemanager VNAV logic and start descent before aircraft catch GS

Now AP can perform perfect Autoland with MLW without problems. I need make more tests in rough weather. I will update GIT after all successful tests.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby V12 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:23 pm

Test flights in bad weather revealed another nasty problem - autothrottle system can't hold airspeed in turbulences and gusty wind. I will try insert spike filter into A/T logic, first attempt looks promising.
V12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:46 pm

Concorde’s autothrottles use longitudinal accelerometers to detect any changes in the aircrafts momentum. This allows them to see any changes in her airspeed almost before they happen, and therefore consequently movements of the throttles, although fast, are much smaller than one might expect, this means the control of speed is satisfyingly tight.

Sounds interesting, maybe if you implement it to compensate for speed changes using acceleration forwards or backwards, not airspeed?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby V12 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:34 am

It should be possible, but it needs FDM at 1000HZ rate, not 120. I used simple spike filter to limit chaotic throttle changes, now with max-rate-of-change parameter set to 0.1. With this setup, aircraft is able hold speed even in the thunderstorm. For fine tuning I need more test flights in rough weather in mountains - Innsbruck, Sion, Samedan, Aosta or Paro.
V12

Postby V12 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:39 am

I added simple keyboard controller for NAV1 and NAV2 radio tuning :
F1 / Ctrl F1 - change NAV1 frequency in 1 MHz step
F2 / Ctrl F2 - step 0.05 MHz
Similar F4 and F5 for NAV2 radio
V12

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:14 pm

ummm... FWIW: on my linux installation with multiple desktops, CTRL-Fx are used to switch desktops so this key combination is no good for others with a setup similar to mine... i currently have eight desktops and can easily configure more...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby V12 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:16 pm

My all linux machines switching desktops with CTRL + ALT + LEFT/RIGHT arrows...
V12

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:45 am

never used any like that... CTRL-ALT-Fx goes out of Xwindows to the base text consoles you get when Xwindows isn't even running... then ALT-Fx switches between those... if Xwindows is running, it is on terminal 7 so ALT-F7 switches you to tty7 and into graphics mode where you have your GUI and the desktops it may offer... it has been like this for me forever... i think, back in the early redhat days ;)

it may be GUI specific, though... i've been running KDE for as long as i can remember... either way, there'll be problems with using those keys, i'm sure... but you handle it as you want if you're the developer of the craft now...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby fmanu » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:40 pm

Hello. How are you all?

I like very much this model. I flied with it many times. Maybe you saw me recently on the multiplayer map.

However, i saw some little problems on the model. I would like to talk about it. Did you see this problems too?

The first problem i saw is that the concorde can go easily to Mach 2 without need for balance. Here's the screenshot:

If i know well the Concorde, normally if the fuel is not balanced during climb, the plane can not go higher than 42 000ft and mach 1.2. The problem here is that there is no difference of dynamism if we balance or if we do not balance the plane during the climb.

I saw another problem during the climb. We can go supersonic at FL500 without using the afterburner. Normally, we need to use afterburner between mach 0.90 and mach 1.70.

And it would be cool if the flight engineer panel instrument are in 3D.

All the things i say are a lot i know. But the model is very nice. I would like to applause the designer. :D :D :D

Maybe i made mistakes while installing. You can tell me too.

Thank you for listening me.

My pseudo in flight F-MANU :)
fmanu

Callsign: F-MANU

Postby V12 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:30 pm

I stopped development of this plane half year ago. If You want, You can continue where I ended.
BTW, You have badly installed OpenSceneGraph, texts on the INS should be yellow, but this doesn't affects flight performance and dynamic.
V12

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:45 pm

FWIW: it is not "badly installed OpenSceneGraphs" but FG hasn't been fixed to use newer text coloration with newer OSG... FG still uses old OpenGL v1.0 (IIRC) text coloration and no one has stepped forward to do the fix...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby V12 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:35 pm

I builded FG and OSG with D/C script and numbers on INS are yellow. Original Concorde has that numbers yellow, too. This was described in other thread, check viewtopic.php?p=353628#p353628.
legoboyvdlp wrote in Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:57 pm:If you have white text you still have the wrong OSG I'm afraid.

Then I removed previous OSG instalation and all was OK. On Concorde, on A320 too.
V12

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:10 am

the clue here is if you built using system-provided OSG or if you built using dnc-provided OSG from the OSG repo and which version of OSG from the OSG repo... we know that newer stuff is broken for exactly the reason i stated above... FG has an old OSG it builds against that has a commit removed which """fixes""" this problem but it isn't how it should be... so we're to the question of which of the three or four OSGs did you use ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby V12 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:14 pm

Ubuntu 20.04
FG 2019.1.2
OSG 3.4.2
V12