Re: Space Shuttle - Development

Postby GinGin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:34 pm

Nice :)
Let’s fire again the ascent entry special procedure
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby GinGin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:14 am

Would it be possible to think about the helium interconnect MPS part for later?
For helium crossfeed in case of failure or stuff like that .
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:23 am

We don't have that? I have vague memories of coding lots of helium stuff, but maybe not that yet.
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:47 am

Mmm I think the interconnect switches are not movable .
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:15 pm

I now have the new versions for the Manual online in my bookstore - I will proceed to fly some tests with the Shuttle and then tag the Milestone 12, at which point the FGAddon version will also be updated.

I believe I have managed to address /most/ things - for everything else there's still the next milestone :D
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:30 pm

Very nice.
I will have a look at that.

A small thing I forgot to report before you tag it, could the SSME nozzle be moved upward ( like when swicthing to entry OPS ) after MECO ( it stays downward currently)
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:23 pm

A small thing I forgot to report before you tag it, could the SSME nozzle be moved upward ( like when swicthing to entry OPS ) after MECO ( it stays downward currently)

Yes, but that's not a trivial change, because the channel that controls vectoring gets switched off at MECO, so we need a whole new control channel just for the task - it'll have to wait till after tagging.

I've also done a bunch of small fixed today - the HUD error in 2019.1 and later ought to be fixed now, and JSBSim warning about functions which are ignored should hopefully be gone for good.
Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Ah indeed not trivial :)
Very nice for the HUD.
It reminds me I have to move on 2019 version maybe
GinGin

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:59 pm

It reminds me I have to move on 2019 version maybe

Doesn't add anything for the Shuttle experience though... I just have to test it anyway. :D
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:24 pm

I now have the new versions for the Manual online

Very nice, I'll give it a read.

I have just tested latest snapshot fgspaceshuttle with latest "next" branch (11/11/19), at the beginning the HUD is working fine, no nasal error. But new ones show up after a while and all the screen freeze!
Here the logs:

Code: Select all
 364.49 [ALRT]:nasal      Nasal runtime error: nil used in numeric context
  364.49 [ALRT]:nasal        at /home/chris/.fgfs/Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/coordinates.nas, line 17
  364.49 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: /home/chris/.fgfs/Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/PFD/p_pfd.nas, line 1968
  364.49 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: /home/chris/.fgfs/Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/PFD/MFD_Generic.nas, line 255
  364.49 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: /home/chris/.fgfs/Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/PFD/PFD_main.nas, line 1003
  364.49 [ALRT]:nasal        called from: /home/chris/.fgfs/Aircraft/SpaceShuttle/Nasal/PFD/PFD_main.nas, line 1159

I have also spotted some alarms flashing on then off during ascent, on the alarm screen, during like a millisecond or so, not even time to read them. Otherwise everything is smooth, the new ascent traj2 looks nice too!

Cheers,
Chris.
Last edited by eatdirt on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Not sure - how to reporduce them? I've been flying for a while today and not seen any of these.

(Specifically I've tested a launch, an entry and a TAEM/landing...)
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:18 pm

Forget about the nasal errors. They disappeared by starting from a clear .fgfs/ directory. I should have tried this first.
I really don't get how this is possible, even removing the cache directories, the aircraft-data/*, something from previous installed version of flightgear completely screws the Shuttle, and it seems to be only the Shuttle, the other planes seem to work ok. It is like something uninitialized, I was getting random behaviour at launch, sometime even explosion at qbar-max. That's weird!

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:27 am

Actually I think the errors may be quite real but have nothing to do with leftover files.

It would appear that the new JSBSim degraded the ability to switch to a different processing channel in sync with Nasal - dependent on random chance, if Nasal processes first after the switch it'll find NaN values and stop operating.

So whenever a state transition occurs (the launch AP does that, entry to TAEM,...) which happens in both Nasal and JSBSim, problems may occur (but don't every time).
Thorsten

Postby eatdirt » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Arg, that sounds hard to debug then :(

Maybe cleaning everything changes the speed and order in which things are process, and that's why it looks like it is working. Anyway, let me know if you want me to test specific things. I have an almost automatized git pull / compile / install of simgear/flightgear/fgdata, and the Shuttle. So I can test latest devel branches quite rapidly now.

Cheers,
Chris.
eatdirt

Postby Thorsten » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:17 pm

It seems to be state changes where a JSBSim channel and a Nasal routine switch at the same time. Launch has a few of them and if one fails, you get to explode, entry to TAEM has another one which I discovered yesterday failing (I ended up testing bail-out...).

I believe you would trigger them more or less randomly, but certainly launch is a stress-test as there are many such transitions.
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight