Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Lancair

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Lancair

Postby Robertfm » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:22 pm

When watching real plane videos saw Lancair planes and found one in FG. It is a lovely plane to fly. However there appears to be an issue with the KAP 140 when in VS mode it doesn't capture the target altitude either up or down. It simply doesn't stop at the inserted altitude. Also when the Nav1 frequency is set and in range there is no audible. Lastly when trying to work out how to use the ILS function I came across this video and frankly this guy made it so simple to understand the use of APR button. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j_hGqzxGvc Sounds quite young but knows his stuff.

Just thought I'd ask when you use the REV button is the plane suppose to descend as it does on APR. I tried REV and it worked picking up signal and redirecting plane to airport but didn't descend from 2000ft.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Re: Lancair

Postby WoodSTokk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:12 pm

Robertfm wrote in Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:22 pm:When watching real plane videos saw Lancair planes and found one in FG. It is a lovely plane to fly. However there appears to be an issue with the KAP 140 when in VS mode it doesn't capture the target altitude either up or down. It simply doesn't stop at the inserted altitude.

The KAP140 should capture the altitude if ALT is armed and the aircraft reach the preselected altitude.
If it doesn't do so, its a bug on the aircraft.

Robertfm wrote in Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:22 pm:Also when the Nav1 frequency is set and in range there is no audible.

The KAP140 hasn't any audible if the NAV is in range.

Robertfm wrote in Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:22 pm:Lastly when trying to work out how to use the ILS function I came across this video and frankly this guy made it so simple to understand the use of APR button. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j_hGqzxGvc Sounds quite young but knows his stuff.

Yes, he also mentioned that the implementation of the KAP140 doesn't react as it should.
First, if you engage the KAP140 it starts allways in ROL mode and VS mode.
The active modes are visible in the top row.
The armed modes are allways in the bottom row.
The KAP140 shows allways the altitude preselection, it doesn't matter if it is engaged or disengaged.
The orange light on the left side in this movie doesn't exist. In real there is a white glass lens with a light sensor behind it to control the brightness of the display.
I'm sure there are more glitches, but that are the first that jump on me.

Robertfm wrote in Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:22 pm:Just thought I'd ask when you use the REV button is the plane suppose to descend as it does on APR. I tried REV and it worked picking up signal and redirecting plane to airport but didn't descend from 2000ft.

No, in REV mode it can only follow the localizer signal back course.
For proper descending it needs the glide slope signal, but this signal will be sent in the other direction.
No glide slope signal = no descending!
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Robertfm » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:55 pm

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I am relatively comfortable using the KAP 140 as I use it in the Navion so I know how it is supposed to work, clearly there is a bug. The Lancair also doesn't allow access to Route Manager or have anything similar. Is there anyway of activating this.
Robertfm

Postby WoodSTokk » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:52 pm

Robertfm wrote in Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:55 pm:Thanks for your detailed explanation. I am relatively comfortable using the KAP 140 as I use it in the Navion so I know how it is supposed to work, clearly there is a bug. The Lancair also doesn't allow access to Route Manager or have anything similar. Is there anyway of activating this.

You can sent a PM to helijah. He is the author.
I have made the new KAP140 on the Navion. I think it simple for helijah to copy it over to the Lanciar.
This small GA aircraft normally hasn't a Route Manager. If you refer to the KNS80, i'm currently working on a new model.
The input and calculation of waypoints with the KNS80 is allready in the Navion.
If you want to test the KNS80 on the Navion, open the property browser, navigate to '/instrumentation/nav-source/' and set 'selector' to '1'.
The KAP140 will follow the selected waypoint from KNS80 with the selected radial on the HSI.
Also the deviation needle on the HSI show the deviation to the waypoint.
WoodSTokk

Postby Robertfm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:19 am

I will try in the morning where to I get heijah PM.
Robertfm

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:56 am

Emmanuel Baranger (alias helijah) User Profile
WoodSTokk

Postby Robertfm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:04 am

Thanks. Just a thought from your previous post about the Morse Identifier. Isn't that the way planes react in real life. They pick up the relevant morse single for the ILS approach.
Robertfm

Postby WoodSTokk » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Robertfm wrote in Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:04 am:Thanks. Just a thought from your previous post about the Morse Identifier. Isn't that the way planes react in real life. They pick up the relevant morse single for the ILS approach.

The NAV radio receive the signal and based on timing it calculate the radial the aircraft is on.
It doesn't matter what tone will be transmitted. Normally the morse code, but it can also transmit ATIS.
The morse code is only for pilots to identify the station. The radio itself needs only the signal.
Based on the signal, the radio drive the instrument needles.

The AP control the aircraft based on the needles (heading bug, radial, deviation).
It doensn't matter what device drive the needles and also if there a morse code or not.
It looks only the needles.

Back to the Lancair. It has the KX165 radio. This implementation is also buggy.
I have it on my todo list after the KNS80 for remodeling.
Normally the volume knob on the right side controls the tone.
To hear the ident you must pull the knob out. To mute the tone press it in.
WoodSTokk

Postby Robertfm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Re the knob I tried that but it didn't work. I used the left and right mouse button and the scroll wheel. Which is it suppose to be. The scroll wheel switches it off and on and it turns as a volume control.
Robertfm

Postby Robertfm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Flew the Navion with the updates and it certainly feels easier to handle and the auto start (Using S is useful). Also the Nav1 does have audible now. The new Kap 140 is good, I have only one observation would it be possible to put it at the bottom of panel on the left seat. Given the wide cockpit it is difficult to reach whilst flying except by rotating the view which of course is not realistic.

The Lancair certainly needs your new version it simply is not functioning as it should. Today whilst it captured the Localiser and appeared to activate the Glideslope (GS showing) it never descended. Also the VS function doesn't capture the assigned altitude, either up or down. I hope this is fixed both planes are delight to fly.

UPDATE NAVION: This morning when pressing AP button it refused to respond at first. Worked when I held it in. Didn't do that yesterday. Also I've noticed the Altimeter appears to at times have a different reading to HUD which tallies with AP preset.
Robertfm

Postby Robertfm » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:25 pm

KNS 80. According to Wiki on this plane this is supposed to work. Whilst the on/off button twists to on position none of the data shows. None of the buttons work although the Control C shows all of them in yellow. Is there a simple 'property browser solution.

Edit: I used browser/instrument/nav-source/service and set it to 1 but made no difference.
Robertfm

Return to Flying