Board index Other Hangar talk

Making movies

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Making movies

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:28 am

Yet another flight this morning, this time in non-VFR conditions, trying to catch mystic mist over dark forest. But the best visuals actually were at 75 m AGL altitude, pushing through the lowest fog layer:

Thorsten

Postby GinGin » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:57 am

Breathtaking
Definitely a Stephen King atmosphere :)
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:21 pm

It's been a while (the more professional the whole thing gets, the more time it takes to do it all) - but now the 5th episode of our series - 'Rime Fever' - is online:

We've just had quite a nice opening night with full house and the press covering us again, so now it's celebration time. Enjoy the movie!
Thorsten

Postby Maerchenprinz » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Hey!

Really well done! Especially the camera work gets better and better regarding all aspects (angles, movement, aperture etc.). Small hint though: Prefer camera tracking over zooming (or add in post production).
And wondetful implementation of the drone camera. Often directors are tempted to over-use them, especially in budget productions, as that can give a shot the look that was once worth 100 grands...
You should consider though to gradually write the character of Rordan out of the script; He is really creepy and may make your movies unsuitable for children. :D

Ciao,

Adrian

P.S: I first misread "Wo Magie noch ebenerdig ist" in the intro... Sounds nice, too, does it?
EDIT: Zooming = Digital camera built in zoom
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Postby Thorsten » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:55 am

Thanks for the comments!

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on two points?

Prefer camera tracking over zooming (or add in post production).

Any tangible reason for that bit? Admittedly I rather like zoom movements (not only when I'm doing the camera but also when I'm watching a movie) - so is there anything more to it than personal taste? I've heard a similar thing from someone in the movie industry that 'one doesn't use zoom much' - but that sounded a bit like a fashion trend.

(Zooming in post-production I occasionally do when there's no choice, but it has this perfect supernatural digital feeling to it which I don't like so much...)

You should consider though to gradually write the character of Rordan out of the script; He is really creepy and may make your movies unsuitable for children.

Huh?

That's the first time I hear that adjective applied to him (and the story has been up for comments in a Fantasy forum for nearly a year now...). Why on Earth would you think him creepy? In what way?

(We've actually had quite a few parents bringing their kids to the show yesterday, and there were no signs of any disturbance or questions). :D
Thorsten

Postby Maerchenprinz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi!

Thorsten wrote in Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:55 am:Huh?

Ooops, sorry for that! It was just meant to be a stupid joke, like "That figure (actor!) is really creepy, knock knock, big smiley, funny!"). Sorry for that.

About the "zooming" thing: I had written a reply until some minutes ago that was really long, and it took so much time that somehow the forum login or whatever was timed out, and all of what I've written there ended up in Nirvana aka dev=null...

Just to let you know, shortly before that, I added a "Too long, don't read" notice to that reply; So nothing earth-shaking in that :) , rather a lazy Saturday post.
I will write back on that anyway, because it seems I have made a statement which needs some explanation, but not now, I have to recreate from writing a long post and from the frustration of losing it... :D

Ciao,

Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Maerchenprinz wrote in Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:43 pm:About the "zooming" thing: I had written a reply until some minutes ago that was really long, and it took so much time that somehow the forum login or whatever was timed out, and all of what I've written there ended up in Nirvana aka dev=null...

i generally use the back button in cases like this... then i can copy the text or possibly refresh the page and get a new session token which will then allow me to save the message again... it looks like you've gone too far to try this, though... maybe next time?

FWIW: i religiously use the back button all the time to return to where i was...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:07 pm

It was just meant to be a stupid joke, like "That figure (actor!) is really creepy, knock knock, big smiley, funny!"). Sorry for that.

Ah - okay.

You wouldn't believe some of the feedback we've had that was not a joke (like we'd be propagating the belief in witchcraft rather than science) - so I am somewhat careful...
Thorsten

Postby Maerchenprinz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Hi!

You wouldn't believe some of the feedback we've had that was not a joke (like we'd be propagating the belief in witchcraft rather than science)

Oh dear, I should have had considered this. Interesting! I have had the impression so far that such comments rather come from a religious than a science corner.

About the "zooming" comment: Servo-driven optics often set in and come out very rapidly (rapid change in focal depth in this case). If our brain is in the mode, or mood :) to perceive ourselves as being the camere, it may then suddenly have to deal with the incongruence between perception and the inner conept or experience of (ourselves as) mass; it'may then feel as if we would experience higher Gs than in a F-16! This effect can be used to give the viewer the impression of being dragged or pushed by an incredible force (e.g. explosion, supernatural monster :twisted:) . A camera swaying e.g. can match the movement of our eyes/head, and e.g. a cut an attention shift.
Anway, as I focus often on technical aspects when watching a movie, I am probably the only one who has noticed it... And maybe, as being an analog native, I have not yet internalised this new technical feature, like the digital colonists have!

@wkitty42: I usually just make interim copies to my editor, which is generally open anyway, but not that time! Well, lesson learned... Oh, if you only knew how slow my typing is, you would be incredibly pitiful! :D

Ciao,

Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:07 pm

This effect can be used to give the viewer the impression of being dragged or pushed by an incredible force (e.g. explosion, supernatural monster

Interesting...

I usually perceive zooms akin to a change in my attention - my visual field stays quite the same, but where previously the whole field received my attention equally, suddenly my attention is focused on a small detail, so when I try to remember the scene, I usually remember it as seeing only the detail.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Thorsten, I very much enjoyed the new episode. I too noticed quite an improvement in overall cinematography as well as the action is improving in my opinion, or I am just getting invested in the characters.

I must say, I am surprised Cliodhna didn't turn Rordan into a toad. :)
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:48 pm

I must say, I am surprised Cliodhna didn't turn Rordan into a toad.

She actually is quite a smart woman - smart enough to know when she's wrong. :D

I too noticed quite an improvement in overall cinematography as well as the action is improving in my opinion

I love the gyro-stabilized steady-cam we've now acquired - it forces me to do color correction to match the two cameras for a scene, but I really like the ability to do reasonably stable hand-held shots, and the gyro is quite an improvement over the software stabilization the other camera offers.

As for the action - I couldn't really say. I believe this episode came out quite mysteriously, and the story-arc is quite unusual in that the theme that's presented in the beginning isn't the theme that gets solved in the end. Mainly it's about people, how they deal with things - so I suspect you might grow more familiar with the characters... :D
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:56 pm

A collection of my best aerial clips of this autumn.

Enjoy!
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:14 pm

very nice! love those blues in the shadows and that blue sky... and those reflections in the water... whoa!

i've also tweeted a link to it on my twitter ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:02 pm

i've also tweeted a link to it on my twitter

Thanks - a bit of publicity is always good for us :D
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Hangar talk