Board index Other Hangar talk

Boom

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Boom

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:29 pm

xpdr_on wrote in Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 pm:When I actually helped FlightGear for so many years.

Nice to see that ego there.

Here some idea - why wont we try to have a conversation with Navigraph for update of the navigation system of FlightGear? So we an be admitet to VATSIM for a capable simulator, that can have online apperiance not only at the FGFS MP, but in the world of the payware simulation as well?

As I am sure you are aware considering you used that functionality extensively FlightGear already has full VATSIM support and full support for Navigraph. But then, you did refuse to accept help, including when I spent several weeks extensively debugging it for you (ultimately finding the cause and passing it onto James for fixing) - so maybe you really aren't that interested in the benefit of FlightGear after all. :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:44 pm

xpdr_on wrote in Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:34 pm:Talking about behaviour online. How about the fact that you purposely used Octal450 to do the programming of this planes and betray him like that?

This is utterly false and I do not accept this defamation. You may consider yourself blocked on this forum and I will make no further reply to you.

You and several others are the reason of Octal to leave.

I do find it odd that you claim to know the reasoning behind this - considering I have discussed with him in private his reasons for leaving which certainly I can accept as being valid.
legoboyvdlp

Postby bugman » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:03 pm

Pavlin, as you keep coming back under different accounts, and keep asking for you account to be deactivated, I have reactivated your original PavlinS account. So you can now truly prove who you are by posting here with that account.

Regards,
Edward

Edit: By the way, how many accounts have you created? I've lost track, but I remember at least 4.
Edit2: All of Pavlin's accounts were deactivated by user request. This reactivation is not undoing a ban.
bugman

Postby merspieler » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:23 pm

xpdr_on wrote in Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:08 am:it is a way to twist the inital subject in unproductive argument.

How is a picture of a clearly violent scene productive?
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby Octal450 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby tdammers » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:08 am

Just to clarify a few things wrt VATSIM here:

1. FlightGear works on VATSIM. The "Swift" client that makes this possible is fairly new, and not entirely mature, but it's good enough, and IME, controllers don't have a particularly hard time dealing with FG users as long as they play by the rules just like everyone else.
2. VATSIM, by necessity, is a multi-simulator environment, which means that not everyone has the same terrain data, scenery, navaids, charts, etc.; this is a problem that requires special attention, but it is not unique to FG, the VATSIM community is aware of it, and has developed some strategies and rules to mitigate this. If you're going to fly in some airspace on VATSIM, you are expected to look up the charts that controllers will be using, and make sure your simulator setup has all the navaids, fixes, and FMS data you need to fly by them. Navigraph data is the most convenient way of getting up-to-date data into FG, but I've successfully flown on VATSIM without. You just have to do a bit of extra work to get the information from the charts into your FMS. You can also do VFR on VATSIM, which you can do with charts alone, no navaid/fix data required whatsoever.
3. VATSIM has vastly more users than FG MP, and that's not comparing apples and oranges, because those are all users you actually get to interact with when you're flying online. As we speak, there are 22 users online on FG MP, compared to 53 ATC and 379 pilots on VATSIM. Even if we correct the VATSIM numbers for the fact that almost half of those ATC are ATIS services, we still get about 400 humans on VATSIM, almost 20x more than on FG MP. As far as the flying experience goes, it doesn't matter at all that the majority of those VATSIM users are using "not FG" to connect to the network; you still get to interact with them just the same. Additionally, the majority of those VATSIM users use voice communications; "no voice" is the exception, not the rule, on VATSIM, whereas on FG, voice comm has to be arranged explicitly. VATSIM is still a lot less busy that IRL airspace, but at least it's busy enough to require some amount of coordination and deconfliction around busy airports. Also, "handovers" are standard procedure on VATSIM, whereas on FG MP, they are something you will rarely seen done ever, except for the occasional planned event.
4. That said, the two *are* very different platforms, and depending on what it is you're after, one may be more suitable than the other. If you're looking for "full realism", fly VATSIM. They have rules in place, and violating them can get you kicked or banned. Which means that you can expect others to follow the rules, too; you get "full realism" because everyone else contributes to the experience just like you do. Of course that also means you can't just go out and do some wild experimenting on VATSIM - military flying is only allowed to the extent of things like ferry flights, cargo operations, etc., but not actual combat; you can't do simulated emergencies unless ATC allows it; you can't do stuff that you wouldn't be allowed to do IRL, generally, like demonstrate your ability to land a Twin Otter on a helipad, or fly a 777 into EDXH.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby CaptB » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:48 am

tdammers wrote in Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:08 am:Just to clarify a few things wrt VATSIM here:

1. FlightGear works on VATSIM. The "Swift" client that makes this possible is fairly new, and not entirely mature, but it's good enough, and IME, controllers don't have a particularly hard time dealing with FG users as long as they play by the rules just like everyone else.

Yes, we as controllers(and when I was an active supervisor) don't care what simulator you are using, as long as you are using an approved client to connect with(which Swift is) and adhere to the CoC.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB

Postby tdammers » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:33 pm

CaptB wrote in Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:48 am:Yes, we as controllers(and when I was an active supervisor) don't care what simulator you are using, as long as you are using an approved client to connect with(which Swift is) and adhere to the CoC.

That, plus that your choice of simulator can't be an excuse for not flying procedures properly or not flying by the published charts. "But that SID exists in FlightGear" doesn't mean you get to fly it on VATSIM.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:47 pm

xpdr_on wrote in Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:46 am:
On contrary to what you are doing, nobody is calling you names. Doing so does not add any weight to your argument. Stop posting, you have already made it quite clear what you think.

You are not right at all. And please, stop saying to me that I should stop posting. I am not under your discretion so you to talk me like that.

right but you are being "toxic" and "argumentative"... that which you accuse others of being... the way to prevent toxicity and arguing is for one side or the other to walk away or change the tone of the discussion... calling names indicates a loss of argument... attack the idea, not the people... if you devolve into attacking the people, your argument is over...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:51 pm

Octal450 wrote in Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:46 pm:Its also FALSE that I left because I lost interest in GPL. I would have just dual licensed the aircraft. I lost interest because it seems that Core was caring less, they still want most people using a nearly 1 year old version, which has big bugs.

where do you get that idea?? there's a lot to be done, still... sure, maybe someone should have pulled the trigger on the RC and made it a release but apparently there is some real reason it hasn't happened... that's no excuse for anyone to get all upset about things... we don't know what is going on in their life and we don't know why the trigger hasn't been pulled, yet... we do know that Jenkins is having some showstopping faults when it comes to building and testing FG... until those are fixed, no one can pull any trigger at all...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:57 pm

xpdr_on wrote in Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:05 pm:
* when others disagree with the progressively more controversial strategy, the user claims to be 'abused' - which takes the topic further away from the original discussion

Nobody asked you to join this conversation to use parts from my posts in order to say that I am making a distant the original discussion. You should blame yourself for that, because you were the person who interveined here and start to use out of context parts of my words. So you are the person who started this argument.

hello? Thorsten was already part of this conversation before you entered it ;)
but isn't it great how folks conveniently cut out the attribution of who wrote what text when they quote?? why is that??
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:01 pm

xpdr_on wrote in Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:34 pm:How about the fact that you purposely used Octal450 to do the programming of this planes

how could that ever happen? josh did the coding that josh wanted to do... no one tied him in a chair and forced him to do that... he chose to do that on his own... you're not making sense or you're not translating from your native language to english properly... something isn't right and you're coming across in a not so good manner which is causing misunderstandings about what you are trying to say...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby merspieler » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:41 am

Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:58 pm

The silence is golden :D
legoboyvdlp

Postby Gijs » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:47 am

Nicely said lego.
For those of you that may wonder what happened to the latest posts, I've removed some that broke several forum rules, as well as replies to them. xpdr_on has been banned on the same grounds.

Cheers,
Gijs (moderator)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

PreviousNext

Return to Hangar talk