Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Erickson S-64 Aircrane anyone?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Erickson S-64 Aircrance anyone?

Postby wlbragg » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:42 pm

On another note, if anyone noticed how dull the gauges look it is because the effects framework is not finished. That and there is much room for improvemts to the material settings for all the mesh involved.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:55 am

I think the AirCrane interior forward panel has reached a new milestone.
See this inage.
wlbragg

Postby bugman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:48 am

That's looking amazing!

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby GinGin » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Really nice work, looking more alive every day :)
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby wlbragg » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:52 pm

I've wanted to see this for a really long time. Once I realized it has an entire upper panel on the ceiling also I am really anxious to start on that as well and the horizontal base panel. Once I have a good "autopilot" for it I will concentrate on the rear facing "engineering" station so you can control movement from that station and deploy firefighting equipment and the winch.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:56 am

Once I have a good "autopilot" for it

I'm guessing it's still YaSim and you can's simply ask Amelia to do the job? :mrgreen:
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:07 pm

That is part of the plan. I think she'll be a perfect fit for it.
I assumed she was set up for JSBSim and wasn't sure if I could "easily" adapt her to YASim?
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:47 pm

I'm somewhat at a cross roads. There are many systems that need modeled. Even simple stuff like fuel availability. As of right now the aircraft has unlimited fuel supply. I was just looking at it and noticed there is no logic for fuel supply. The fuel levels only adjust weight and are used nowhere else (other than the gauges I just made). For example part of the panel additions is the AUX fuel pump switches.used to feed either engine 1 or 2, simple stuff to model. So I was getting ready to make a fuel system and tying it into the existing FDM. I have real reservations about creating a nasal based fuel system when my long term goal is to convert the FDM to JSBSim.
Hum, what to do?

There is still tons of modeling left to do, I could continue to model mesh and worry about systems later, but then you end up with a bunch of dummy buttons, switches and gauges that don't do anything. Something as simple as the fuel system not being included in the simulation is troublesome. Without basic systems it's rather lackluster.
wlbragg

Postby bugman » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm

I was just wondering, do you know of any other helicopters using JSBSim? This was discussed in another thread:

I thought that the JSBSim helicopter simulation was not very advanced, as the physics of this is quite difficult, whereas YASim for helicopters is of very high quality. I recommend you research the status JSBSim FDMs for helicopters very carefully before you head down that route.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Thorsten » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:32 pm

The Alouette-III is JSBSim for instance.

Since it'd be easy to code a YaSim solution in JSBSim (just look at the YaSim source and the solver values and do the same thing in JSBSim) there's no conceptual problem I would be aware of.

While YaSim is a FDM where you insert parameters, JSBSim really is a programming language which has a focus on solving FDMs.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:34 pm

Thorsten beat me to it.

Alouette-III is JSBSim and works well. I think it is the flexibility that JSBSim would provide that pulls me that way. I am aware that without good flight data that JSBSim isn't going to get me where I want to be either. But with it, I think there are more options and technically you can achieve better results even for rotary FDM's. But you do have to have the data and the talent to be able to use it and model the flight systems. Neither of which I posses at the moment. The current YASim FDM, while somewhat adequate, is really basic and I am not sure it is even close to reality. For example the turboshaft engines are not modeled, just a single gearbox that until I modified it had only one engine worth of power applied to it.

I think it is impossible to get "YASim for helicopters is of very high quality" with the amount of documentation available. Maybe the YASim FDM structure supports more detail, maybe not, who knows, how do you find out. I think one would have to study the FDM code itself to figure out everything that is available and how to use it.
From what I found the YASim documentation is almost non-existent. I think there may be more documentation as well as help available on the JSBSim side.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:48 pm

Since it'd be easy to code a YaSim solution in JSBSim (just look at the YaSim source and the solver values and do the same thing in JSBSim) there's no conceptual problem I would be aware of.

That actually sounds like a reasonable approach. Maybe even something I could figure out. It would be a good starting point.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:09 am

Starting on the overhead panel and control quadrant.

Last edited by wlbragg on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
wlbragg

Postby amue » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:50 am

bugman wrote in Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm:I thought that the JSBSim helicopter simulation was not very advanced, as the physics of this is quite difficult, whereas YASim for helicopters is of very high quality. I recommend you research the status JSBSim FDMs for helicopters very carefully before you head down that route.

Thorsten wrote in Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:32 pm:The Alouette-III is JSBSim for instance.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I had a look at the Alouette-III JSBSim FDM and it uses JSBSims own rotor model (implemented in the FGRotor class). Does anyone know how "good" or sophisticated the rotor model is?
amue

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:06 am

FWIW: i really wish that someone, the OP or a moderator, would correct the title of this topic and fix the misspelling of Aircrane... at least is would then show up properly in searches when someone tries to search it ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft