Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Low Framerate

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Low Framerate

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:52 pm

AI craft can certainly consume CPU resources when they are enabled... depending on the time of day, some larger airports can get very busy with AI craft flying in/out and moving around... i've seen some airports with 20 or more AI all moving at once... sometimes they'll get hung up somewhere and back up a lot more than just 20... i used to make a game of it to find the one that was hung and give it a sharp kick in the backside (via the property tree) to send it on its way... once that one was gone, things worked smoothly for a while in most cases... sometimes another one will get hung up... i've seen them take over an hour to have all the departing craft finally get gone...

these ones being hung are likely not your problem, though... i suspect there were just numerous ones in the area that your sim was moving about... the area is, IIRC, 100km or 200km... i forget as it has been so long since i played this ""game"" of watching and booting the AI when needed...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby MrSefaa » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:12 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:52 pm:AI craft can certainly consume CPU resources when they are enabled... depending on the time of day, some larger airports can get very busy with AI craft flying in/out and moving around... i've seen some airports with 20 or more AI all moving at once... sometimes they'll get hung up somewhere and back up a lot more than just 20... i used to make a game of it to find the one that was hung and give it a sharp kick in the backside (via the property tree) to send it on its way... once that one was gone, things worked smoothly for a while in most cases... sometimes another one will get hung up... i've seen them take over an hour to have all the departing craft finally get gone...

these ones being hung are likely not your problem, though... i suspect there were just numerous ones in the area that your sim was moving about... the area is, IIRC, 100km or 200km... i forget as it has been so long since i played this ""game"" of watching and booting the AI when needed...

So what do you think I should do at this point?
MrSefaa

Postby Robertfm » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:32 am

My frame rate reduction continues and is now fluctuating from 10 to 30. And occasionally goes up to 50 but not the steady 60 I have enjoyed for months. I have altered no settings. In fact I have switched various features off in turn to check and there is no material difference. This started 3 days ago. My CPU is running at about 40% & GPU @35%. My memory is about 50%. What is concerning is Power Usage is showing in Task Manager as Very High for FG but very low for everything else.

I have Hardware Monitor loaded and all temperatures are well within medium to low range. A couple of the CPU nodes/threads are at 98 to 100% but the other 8 or 9 are at around 30%. I even tested different planes, and that made little difference.

Any ideas that I could check out. It simply makes no sense.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:45 am

MrSefaa wrote in Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:12 pm:
wkitty42 wrote in Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:52 pm:trim my AI comments

So what do you think I should do at this point?

ensure that you turn off AI in the F10 menu in the sim... make sure you use the proper exit option to quit the sim so the disabled AI setting will be saved... as far as AI go and possibly chewing up CPU time, that's the way i'd go...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:47 am

Robertfm wrote in Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:32 am:My frame rate reduction continues and is now fluctuating from 10 to 30. And occasionally goes up to 50 but not the steady 60 I have enjoyed for months. I have altered no settings. In fact I have switched various features off in turn to check and there is no material difference. This started 3 days ago.

what did you do three days ago? any OS updates? update your sim? something else?

at least you should check that AI are disabled as i described in my above message... that'll eliminate them from being part of the cause...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Robertfm » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:31 am

In short nothing. No recent updates, and I did turn off AI using a short code placed in settings. I checked in main menu and it's off. Oddly yesterday the FR was make to normal and so I switched AI back on and it made no material difference. I'm stumped.
Robertfm

Postby wlbragg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:25 pm

What FG "current version" are you talking about? Was this Windows or Linux? For awhile now FG is not shutting down on Linux properly and leaving a thread running. Maybe something to do with an intermittent problem? I don't know if Windows has the same issue.

I think there were three users that reported issues in this thread, at least two were Ryzen related. I'm curious if any Ryzen users got FG working?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Robertfm » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:50 pm

It's FG 2019.1 .Windows 10.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:23 am

yeah, this is something else than a loose thread running, AFAICT...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Robertfm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:54 am

I am having far more midflight crashes as I was having on 2018.3.2 the only 2 versions I've used. I had a days flying using a Robin DR400 which I had been experiencing issues with as reported, 2 days ago with absolutely no issues. Yesterday on start up the plane was going backwards again. If it's the plane surely it would do it all the time. Of course I'll leave that to the experts. I have tried the other DR400 and frankly I am finding it almost impossible to land because of the high dash board. It seems to fly with nos up until you physically use the yoke to push it down, even when using altitude & directional hold. If you were flying it in real life you would only see the Sky.
Robertfm

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:56 am

and frankly I am finding it almost impossible to land because of the high dash board. It seems to fly with nos up until you physically use the yoke to push it down, even when using altitude & directional hold. If you were flying it in real life you would only see the Sky.

Or you would simply adjust your seat - at least that's what I do...
Thorsten

Postby Robertfm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Not realistic though. I have no issues of this nature with any other plane, not even Liners.
Robertfm

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Huh? Of course people adjust seat height in real planes - and of course you move your head and upper body when you look out - locking the viewpoint to a single spot is what isn't realistic.
Thorsten

Postby MrSefaa » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:29 am

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:45 am:ensure that you turn off AI in the F10 menu in the sim... make sure you use the proper exit option to quit the sim so the disabled AI setting will be saved... as far as AI go and possibly chewing up CPU time, that's the way i'd go...

I just checked, and it looks like AI is already turned off. I find it interesting that a person with similar to identical specs is facing the same issues as I am though. Maybe it's more of driver compatibility than anything? Not sure though.
MrSefaa

Postby V12 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:11 am

June, 2nd I made big update of my Lubuntu 18.04, system downloaded 400 MB. After this update I'm fighting with crashes to desktop, random network drops and ither nasty things. Week ago I installed LUbuntu 19.04 and FG2018.3.2 from PPA. I was happy, all was OK. But only 10 hours of flying, then CTDs was back. Again new LUbuntu 19.04 install, then I used download and compile script and builded FGFS 2019.1.2. After some small problems with graphics I managed to obtain fully working sim. But after 3 days, crashes to desktop was here again. I'm thinking that some Linux updates started my problems.
Yesterday, I made fresh install of LUbuntu 18.04 on my HP8570, disabled all updates, then builded FGFS 2019.1.2 via D&C script and now testing.

IMHO, on Win platform some updates can start problems with FPS too. ATI/AMD drivers never performed very well in some conditions with OpenGL, but with DX was OK.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

PreviousNext

Return to Graphics