Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Missing bits...

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Missing bits...

Postby unrealaviation » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:40 am

Is it just me of are most of Barenger's aircraft missing undercarriage parts?
Before I embark upon a career of fixing his aeroplanes, can someone confirm that he has indeed ruined otherwise beautifully modeled creations by having wheels floating in space etc?

Kev
unrealaviation

Re: Missing bits...

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:28 pm

they should not have problems as you describe... i've never seen such...

please tell us the craft and/or post a screen shot or two showing the problem...

also please tell us your complete FG version, OS and video card, and where you got the craft from...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby unrealaviation » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:24 pm

Caproni C22J: Missing nose leg and fork
Fouga Magister: Tail bumper wheel floating in space. I have fixed this one as my very first Blender attempt. :-)
Gloster Whittle: No landing gear components except the wheels.
North American T6: No tailwheel fork. Wheel floating in space
Tecnam P2006T: No nosewheel fork or leg
Burnelli CBY: No gear except wheels and no gear doors. Not so bothered about this one as it is so very obviously an unfinished model...
Will these do for a start?

Flightgear 2018.3.1
unrealaviation

Postby unrealaviation » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:56 pm

My mistake, the Tecnam 2006t does have a nose leg, just nothing connecting it to the wheel.
This will be my first project when I know enough about Blender to fix ananimated part...
unrealaviation

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:55 pm

those will work...

where did you get them from?
did you download them via the launcher's aircraft tab from the default FG hanger or did you get them from somewhere else?

also, are these craft you are flying or other craft you are seeing in your scenery?

i'm running the latest code and have all of the craft in the default hanger available... i'll take a look and see what i can find...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby unrealaviation » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:56 pm

All from helija website and I also downloaded and checked any updated versions from FGADDON.
Flying.
I also plonked the Fouga Magister into Blender (which has absolutely nothing to do with any 'display' issues Flightgear may have) and the bumper wheel was not connected to anything...
unrealaviation

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:02 pm

I would imagine its simply that Helijah didn't model those bits - he made a lot of aircraft but I'm afraid he somewhat prioritized quantity over quality.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby unrealaviation » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:56 pm

It seems that way. :-(
From what I gather, family life intruded a bit... It is obvious that a lot of love and devotion went into most of his models but there is a fair bit of corner cutting too - mirrored engine on his otherwise excellent DH-89 for instance (on my list of TODOs).

Kev
unrealaviation

Postby cobe571 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 am

unrealaviation wrote in Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:40 am:Is it just me of are most of Barenger's aircraft missing undercarriage parts?
Before I embark upon a career of fixing his aeroplanes, can someone confirm that he has indeed ruined otherwise beautifully modeled creations by having wheels floating in space etc?

Kev

I knew a bit Emmanuel Baranger. And I learned alot of things from him. The practical use of Blender for FlightGear, for example. Teaching me so many tricks, that you've no idea. I can only say thanks for that. Instead the fact we don't talk each other anymore, I can assure and confirm his devotion into FlightGear Aircraft development and the FG project itself. He's able to make an almost complete plane in 3 days. 3D model and FDM with animations; not perfect but usable. And you can say only: "that's just ready? oooh. holy f***! please, teach me!" And so I do it years ago. I remember what he said to me; it was something like: "...my 3D models are something from where to start, I create a structure a pettern for further development by other people that will come to use it...". He believe very much on the values of this Free Simulator, and was him that suggested me to enter FG development years ago. He always suggested to use free software like Blender or GNU/Linux to gain the best results. And he was right. So, you've to think about his very large job like a starting point to develop a more detailed version. You can't blame about his work. You can only improve if you've that skills.

Kind regards,
Patrizio.
"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either, but the bumblebee doesn't know anything about the laws of aerodynamics, so it goes ahead and flies anyway."
cobe571

Callsign: cobe571
IRC name: cobe571
Version: 2020.3.8

Postby unrealaviation » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:25 am

I am not knocking Barenger...
Most of his work is excellent.
Some of it is outstanding.
Quite a lot of it is unfinished and unfortunately, it seems to be the aircraft I am most interested in. As I learn to use Blender I will fix what I can - probably take about a year.

I am sure YOU could do it all in a day. ;-)
unrealaviation

Postby cobe571 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:11 pm

unrealaviation wrote in Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:25 am:...

I am sure YOU could do it all in a day. ;-)

Even if knockin' I don't think you will receive any reply at this time. Anyway, NOT. I can't do it in a day and neither can you. Just stop criticizing or judge other work when you can do nothing about or improve it in any way.

I'm done with you.
P.
"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either, but the bumblebee doesn't know anything about the laws of aerodynamics, so it goes ahead and flies anyway."
cobe571

Callsign: cobe571
IRC name: cobe571
Version: 2020.3.8

Postby unrealaviation » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Wow, that's rude.
I am not knocking.
You are clearly a very skilled modeller, that is all I meant. Very sorry if I struck a nerve.

I have fixed two aircraft and am happy to share my work if anyone is interested.
unrealaviation

Return to Aircraft