Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Low Framerate

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Low Framerate

Postby V12 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:12 am

Because FG and OSG can't utilize more than 1 core (OSG probably can use 2 cores) of my 4 physical cores CPU.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby V12 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:28 am

Thorsten wrote in Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:10 am:FYI - FG is completely incapable of knowing how much CPU utilization you have - that's an OS task. If the OS decides to not allocate more, either the OS is malfunctioning or you don't actually need it because some other bottleneck is present.

FYI :
On Win7 32 bit BibblePro can use all CPU's cores without any trouble. This is evidence that OS decides to use all available resources
On LUbuntu from archaic 14.04 to latest 19.04 Blender can use all CPU's cores without any trouble. This is evidence that OS decides to use all available resources

Why OS Win and Linux can't utilize all available resources, when runs FG ?
V12

Postby CaptB » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:37 am

V12 wrote in Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:28 am:On Win7 32 bit BibblePro can use all CPU's cores without any trouble. This is evidence that OS decides to use all available resources
On LUbuntu from archaic 14.04 to latest 19.04 Blender can use all CPU's cores without any trouble. This is evidence that OS decides to use all available resources
Why OS Win and Linux can't utilize all available resources, when runs FG ?

X-Plane is unable to fully use all the cores either(Core one handles most of the OpenGL workload and so according to some benchmarks you have no real gain over 4-6 cores, at least until they introduce Vulkan) It seems to be a similar story with P3D, where not all cores are utilized 100% except it's not based on OpenGL.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:41 am

On Win7 32 bit BibblePro can use all CPU's cores without any trouble. This is evidence that OS decides to use all available resources

Then your OS just hates FG and refuses to do it there :mrgreen: Whereas my OS likes FG and gives me a nice yummy framerate 8)

Or you have a wrong idea somewhere along the path...
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:06 am

And this is reason to my move from FGFS to another sim, where :
- I have decent framerate without stuttering and framepausing
- I have nicely interpolated weather without any suddenly 180 degs wind dir changes in split seconds
- I do not have strangely rotated clouds
- I have deblocked and detiled textures over all terrain
- I have perrfectly full functional aircraft without any compromise
- but I do not have the Concorde :(
V12

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:30 am

What temperatures are you seeing on the CPU and GPU? Wondering if thermal throttling isn't the issue...

And what power options - are they running in power saving mode?

If it is disabling thermal throttling (if that is possible) definitely isn't an option. Remember by the time you get above 70 - 90 degC your CPU and GPU literally start to melt ;)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:20 pm

And this is reason to my move from FGFS to another sim, where :

Yeah - I just wish you'd finally do it and be happy with whatever flightsim you like, rather than continue to hang around here complaining endlessly about issues which, strangely enough, for the most part no one except yourself seems to have and ignoring all that's said to you. You're not making me happy by using FG or unhappy by using some other software, in case you're wondering.

Is it so much fun to hang around and complain really?
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 pm

lego :
CPU not going over 50 degs, GPU not over 55 degs. FSX generates more heat than FGFS. Machine is tuned to MaxPerf mode.
V12

Postby CaptB » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:15 pm

V12 wrote in Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:06 am:And this is reason to my move from FGFS to another sim, where :

I know that I am straying from the topic, but I simply find your posts puzzling. You have made it clear many times that you are unhappy with FG, to which you absolutely have the right, but why continue to pound this here instead of just using what you like and letting it go. What positive outcome are you hoping to achieve by this?

Now I am not trying to convince you or anyone else that FG is better or worse, but just to respond to the points you made:

-I have decent framerate without stuttering and framepausing

I experience that in FSX as well, all what it takes is a detailed aircraft(PMDG/Aerosoft) and more complex scenery(Payware EKCH). Along with that you can have memory leaks which result in a CTD and crawling frames.

-I have nicely interpolated weather without any suddenly 180 degs wind dir changes in split seconds

The default weather is poor in FSX, furthermore teh default live weather no longer works, and the weather engines(of which I have two) are also not perfect and cost a considerable amount of money. Maybe if you paid someone the same money you'd have the same in FG?

-I do not have strangely rotated clouds

Default clouds in FSX do not look natural in any way, and they rotate in a strange when flying through overcast and looking to the side as you pass. REX clouds are very nice but again, as with the previous point, maybe you'd have the same or better in FG if you improved what we have or paid someone.

- I have deblocked and detiled textures over all terrain

And I have texture blurr in FSX which gets me agitated, incredibly ugly night textures and many regions which I am familiar with look nothing like they should(even with GEX)

- I have perrfectly full functional aircraft without any compromise

And I have great FSX aircraft that I paid for, the dev teams disbanded and now these aircraft and addons don't work on newer Windows and there's nobody to address these problems. Money lost.

I had no good A320 so I joined IDG to help make it a reality. If you want great aircraft in FG, either make your own, contribute, or pay someone to do it for you. As it is now you're getting it all free and not paying money for it as is the case with the aircraft you describe.

Bottom line is this, nothing is perfect. People focus on different aspects of their experience and can find problems everywhere. With commercial flight sims you tackle the problem with money, with FG you tackle it with skills and if you don't have those you pay someone to do it for you. Endless complaining will not change reality.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB

Postby MrSefaa » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:21 pm

I have the FlightGear version 2018.3.2. I downloaded only the "Main Program."
MrSefaa

Postby MrSefaa » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:25 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:30 am:What temperatures are you seeing on the CPU and GPU? Wondering if thermal throttling isn't the issue...

And what power options - are they running in power saving mode?

If it is disabling thermal throttling (if that is possible) definitely isn't an option. Remember by the time you get above 70 - 90 degC your CPU and GPU literally start to melt ;)

High performance power options. And temperature is legit the same as idle for some reason...
MrSefaa

Postby ludomotico » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:42 pm

Maybe, your PC doesn't recognize fgfs as an application that needs a dedicated GPU.

Check in the settings panel of your GPU, maybe there is an option to force the use of the GPU when fgfs is detected.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby wlbragg » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:55 pm

Is scenery even loading, do you see anything other than a "blank" or dark screen?
Can you change views?
Where and how did you get the program?
How did you install it?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby MrSefaa » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:24 pm

ludomotico wrote in Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:42 pm:Maybe, your PC doesn't recognize fgfs as an application that needs a dedicated GPU.

Check in the settings panel of your GPU, maybe there is an option to force the use of the GPU when fgfs is detected.

Tried something like that, but didn't work.
MrSefaa

Postby MrSefaa » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:33 pm

wlbragg wrote in Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:55 pm:

Is scenery even loading, do you see anything other than a "blank" or dark screen?
Can you change views?
Where and how did you get the program?
How did you install it?

Everything feels like it's loaded.
Idk what you mean by "can you change views."
I downloaded this https://www.flightgear.org/download/main-program/
I installed it by downloading that?
MrSefaa

PreviousNext

Return to Graphics