Board index FlightGear Support Multiplayer

Cannot see MP aircraft unless using same aircraft model

Trouble getting online, setting up a server?
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- copy&paste your commandline.

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Cannot see MP aircraft unless using same aircraft model

Postby UKRAINE » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of FG for Mac, and I cannot see anyone else's model unless I'm using the same aircraft model as them. My Mac is also quite new and the OS is updated to one of the more recent ones (10.14). So if I'm flying on MP on a cap10B, I can only see cap10b's, otherwise I see yellow-blue default models. Any clue on what the issue is? Also, some models like the 777 or the c172p appear to have completely black liveries except for the doors. Unfortunately it seems that Mac issues are not so well known. :(
Callsign : BRT0003
BRT Flight Operations, Co- founder of BRT - Bogdan Tsupryk
Join BRT Virtual Airlines ! Active airline over 2,500 flights COMPLETED and over 100 pilots!
Register to join BRT : http://www.brtvirtualairlines.org
UKRAINE

Callsign: BRT0003
Version: 3.4

Re: Cannot see MP aircraft unless using same aircraft model

Postby Oswald » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:51 pm

Hi Ukraine,

which Flightgear version? Are you sure you have downloaded the other aircraft?

Oswald
Oswald

Postby UKRAINE » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Oswald wrote in Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:51 pm:Hi Ukraine,

which Flightgear version? Are you sure you have downloaded the other aircraft?

Oswald

Yes, latest version, and all the aircraft (that I was supposed to see) have been downloaded!
Join BRT Virtual Airlines ! Active airline over 2,500 flights COMPLETED and over 100 pilots!
UKRAINE

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Did you install aircraft using the launcher directly? I think I've heard about this before but the only solution is to add the folder Documents/FlightGear/(wherever the aircraft are stored) to Additional Aircraft Folders on the add-ons tab. You will see the aircraft twice in the launcher but it should resolve the problem. Let me know if this works!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby UKRAINE » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:12 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:09 pm:Did you install aircraft using the launcher directly? I think I've heard about this before but the only solution is to add the folder Documents/FlightGear/(wherever the aircraft are stored) to Additional Aircraft Folders on the add-ons tab. You will see the aircraft twice in the launcher but it should resolve the problem. Let me know if this works!

Yeah I installed through the launcher directly. Funny enough the usual directory where the aircraft are located isn't there anymore (Data/Aircraft), only the default ones are. The newly downloaded ones through the launcher go elsewhere. I'll look for the new directory of downloaded aircraft, and try to place the separately downloaded files there. Thanks for the tip! :mrgreen:
UKRAINE

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:14 pm

I don't suggest moving the files to data/Aircraft; they are in the other folder for a reason and if you do that you won't be able to update them anymore in the Lau cber. FGDATA is now considered read only (for most things) and extra things like aircraft, scenery, and the texture cache go in Documents/FlightGear.

I think it's a simple omission to add the launcher downloaded aircraft to FG_AIRCRAFT and will see if James can resolve it or if it's intended behaviour :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby V12 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:31 am

Problem with MP aircrafts visibility is in FG2019.1.2 on LUbuntu 18.04 too. When I put aircraft into default aircraft folder, Pilot List shows this model with orange color - FG can't find the aircraft. Similar situation, when I put aircraft into other folder with long path (for example /media/username/volume_label/FG/FGDATA/Aircraft). When I put aircraft into /home/username/Aircraft, FG can find this model in MP. There is one strange fact - in FG2019.1.2 on LUbuntu 19.04 FG can accept long paths...

More investigation in progress.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby V12 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:36 pm

It is very strange, FG2019.1.2 on LUbuntu 18.04 can't see MP aircrafts installed in other folder than /home/username. This bug doesn't exists on LUbuntu 19.04. Symbolic link to other folders on other HDD in FG MP doesn't works too, but aircraft from that folder is flyable. Probably, it is not problem LUbuntu, because FG 2018.3.2 has not problems load MP models from any accessible folders.
Tested on fresh installed system, FG2019.1.2 builded with D/C script.
V12

Postby V12 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:37 am

I solved my problem with MP aircrafts. I re-created symbolic link direct to the Aircraft folder (ln -s /media/username/MULTIMEDIA/FG/fgdata/Aircraft command without additional parameters created link to that folder in my home folder, MULTIMEDIA is volume label for second HDD in my machine) and this solution works. Yesterday I made some MP tests at PHNL and found that combination LUbuntu 18.04 LTS and FG2019.1.2 is much more stable than LUbuntu 19.04 + FGS 2019.1.2.
V12

Return to Multiplayer