Board index FlightGear Development New features

swift-connection (connecting to FSD servers like VATSIM)

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: swift-connection (connecting to FSD servers like VATSIM)

Postby G-UNTER » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:38 am

Yes, I am running the 2019.2.0-nightly-full version of FG on macOS.
Join the Official Flightgear Discord: https://discord.gg/kzAt8JE6mK
G-UNTER

Callsign: G-UNTER
Version: 2020.3.3

Postby Isaak » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:50 am

Other issue: the swift connection works, radio frequencies, transponder, location information... all get modified, but when I connect to the VATSIM servers, FlightGear crashes to desktop after about 5 seconds. I'll run with debug and provide a crash log. Latest swift with FG Nightly of yesterday on Windows 10.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:59 am

This issue not occuring here, I wonder is it different versions of dbus at fault etc :?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Lars » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:11 pm

@G-UNTER: Unfortunatley the Mac and Linux nightlies are not containing swift support right now. The needed libs (dbus, libevent) needs to be installed on the jenkins build machines first.

@Isaak: I've examined such a crash yesterday. Currently there is a bug that FG crashes if swift has no valid model set for FG. I'm still debugging what is happening but this should definetly be catched.
I guess you haven't created one yet, but you need one to see other traffic. Check out these links to create one:
https://dev.swift-project.org/w/help/spc/modelset/
https://dev.swift-project.org/w/help/swiftgeneral/mm/
https://dev.swift-project.org/w/help/smt/createms/
Lars

Postby Isaak » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Hi Lars, I finally got the chance to get Swift running and performed my very first flight from OMDB to LKPR (sadly all the ATC's went offline as I approached Europe, but hey, it worked!). I have a few questions:
- If I see it correct, models are added as models, not as other traffic. This means they don't show up on the builtin map and (more important) TCAS (and the traffic radar) doesn't respond to them. Do you have plans to improve this part? I know the old SB747 plugin injected the traffic as MP traffic. This was quite convenient.
- Is there a way to get the Swift text messages show up in FG so the text2speech reads them out? I have Swift running on the background and it's not so convenient to have to switch programs all the time to see if a message has arrived. (edit: the system seems to do that already for config messages, like the 'you hereby agree to the VATSIM code of conduct...')

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,

Isaak
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Postby tdammers » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:54 pm

You may want to chat him up on discord. AFAIK, he does want to make both of these work, but doesn't quite know yet how to best do it.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby Lars » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:38 pm

Isaak wrote in Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:22 pm:- If I see it correct, models are added as models, not as other traffic. This means they don't show up on the builtin map and (more important) TCAS (and the traffic radar) doesn't respond to them. Do you have plans to improve this part? I know the old SB747 plugin injected the traffic as MP traffic. This was quite convenient.

Hi Isaak,
glad to hear that it works for you. This is definetly planned for the (near) future. The current solution by just injecting a model was only taken, as I wasn't able to find an easy solution for "traffic" injection. But adding the aircrafts to the map and TCAS is the next thing I'll start working on. Unfortunately I'm currently not available for the next 2 weeks due to RL work but afterwards I will start with this.

Isaak wrote in Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:22 pm:- Is there a way to get the Swift text messages show up in FG so the text2speech reads them out? I have Swift running on the background and it's not so convenient to have to switch programs all the time to see if a message has arrived. (edit: the system seems to do that already for config messages, like the 'you hereby agree to the VATSIM code of conduct...')

It seems not to be implemented on swift side so far to send out the controller and private messages via the plugin to the sim. But this should definelty be possible. I will talk with the main swift developers about this.
Lars

Postby Isaak » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks for your feedback! Don't feel pressured, it's already very nice we can finally fly on VATSIM so conveniently ;)
Isaak

Postby Isaak » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:58 am

Hi Lars, just a quick question. I use 2 pc's with a total of 8 screens connected when flying, to have more immersion. I am happily flying on VATSIM again using swift, but would like to know if it's possible to render the traffic on the slaved pc too (not only on the master). I think it should be possible using the dbus system, but I wanted to ask before I start spending time on searching how to do it. Do you know if it's possible? Thanks a lot!
Isaak

Postby Isaak » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Lars wrote in Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:38 pm:
Isaak wrote in Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:22 pm:- Is there a way to get the Swift text messages show up in FG so the text2speech reads them out? I have Swift running on the background and it's not so convenient to have to switch programs all the time to see if a message has arrived. (edit: the system seems to do that already for config messages, like the 'you hereby agree to the VATSIM code of conduct...')

It seems not to be implemented on swift side so far to send out the controller and private messages via the plugin to the sim. But this should definelty be possible. I will talk with the main swift developers about this.

Hi Lars,

Sorry for double posting. I just found the setting in swift which enables this: in the swift pilot client gui, select Settings > Simulator (messages) and enable the messages you wish to see in the simulator there. It works fine :)

Kind regards,

Isaak
Isaak

Postby Lars » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:33 am

Great to hear that sending the ATC messages to FG is working. I also didn't knew this option.

Isaak wrote in Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:58 am:Hi Lars, just a quick question. I use 2 pc's with a total of 8 screens connected when flying, to have more immersion. I am happily flying on VATSIM again using swift, but would like to know if it's possible to render the traffic on the slaved pc too (not only on the master). I think it should be possible using the dbus system, but I wanted to ask before I start spending time on searching how to do it. Do you know if it's possible? Thanks a lot!

So confirm you're your running two machines with flightgear or how to do you use 2 pc's?
Last edited by Lars on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lars

Postby Isaak » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:44 am

I'm running two machines, each with FlightGear running, the master pc sending the native-ctrl and native-fmd protocols to the slaved machine. I don't have Swift installed (yet) on the slave pc, but would like to be able to hook the slave pc to the master pc's Swift server so it displays the traffic (or use another approach if that's not the right way to do it). Any idea if this is possible yet?
Isaak

Postby Lars » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:34 am

Until now I didn't knew that flightgear had such a system :)

swift can be used distributed but more in a way that you've installed the master on the SIM system and connect the swift gui remotely from another machine (e.g. from tablet in home-cockpit).
Lars

Postby hendyrix » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi guys

I have swift but FlightGear does not seem to recognize it when I set up the connection in the GUI as shown in the vid

Anything im missing?
hendyrix

Postby Lars » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:03 pm

hendyrix wrote in Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:08 pm:Hi guys

I have swift but FlightGear does not seem to recognize it when I set up the connection in the GUI as shown in the vid

Anything im missing?

Which FG version and which OS?
Lars

PreviousNext

Return to New features