Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Looking at yoke/rudder hardware for use with FlightGear

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Looking at yoke/rudder hardware for use with FlightGear

Postby Aidonithith » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:40 am

I'm looking at maybe a Saitek Pro Flight set. Do I need to do any special programming for FlightGear to recognize the hardware? Open source is sometimes a bit hard to set up for me.....

Thanks!
Aidonithith

Re: Looking at yoke/rudder hardware for use with FlightGear

Postby Knüppelrührer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 am

From my experience under windows 8.1:

Saitek rudder pedals: Zero problems. Plug in and play. FGFS does the job.

Also for the Thrustmaser Flight Stick-X it was also no problem. For some changes in the button configuration help was needed by forum members and was done in a very friendly way.

For Saitek switch panel I will have to switch to Linux to make it work (apparently...), but this I wanted to do anyway.
Knüppelrührer

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:12 am

From my experience under windows 7 x64 with FG 2018.3.1 and saitek drivers from late 2018:
Saitek rudder pedals: Zero problems. Plug in and play. But need to preconfigure some buttons on joystick menu.
Saitek yoke and quadrant: Zero problems. Plug in and play. But need to preconfigure some buttons on joystick menu. Parking brakes (c172) button assigment dont work, only normal brakes.
Saitek Switch panel and radio: Not tested yet but tried only to install switch panel unsuccessfully. Need to investigate
Other instruments: Not tested
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby stuart » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:45 pm

I have the Saitek Cessna set, which is pretty much identical to the Proflight set (yoke, pedals, quadrant, trim wheel). All works fine. I wrote a review of them on the wiki here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Hardware_Review:_Saitek_Pro_Flight_Cessna_controls

I've also got the CH products pedals, quadrant and Fighter Stick. Again, all work fine out of the box.

Since I wrote the review, my setup location has changed, and I have a little less room than before. I now tend to use my CH Products equipment rather than the Saitek.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Robertfm » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:11 pm

I read your review of the Saitek gear and most notably the trim wheel. I know that was in 2012 and you quoted $50. Has it seriously shot up in price in that time. In the UK you talking £350. Are there sites in the US where it is cheaper.

I have tried using the mixture (Quadrant) stick to control trim and whilst it works I can't get it to stabilise.
Robertfm

Postby Isaak » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:15 am

I use the rocker switches on the yoke for pitch and rudder trim. Not so realistic in a piston engine aircraft, but it does the job and works the same in many airliners.
Isaak

Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Robertfm » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:26 am

I set up the one of the switches on the Quadrant but not sure they are doing anything. I will try a yoke switch. Thanks. I really don't understand why the trim wheel is so expensive compared to other items that appear more complicated like Radio etc
Robertfm

Postby V12 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:08 am

There are many very negative reviews over the internet. In the computer store I tested 2 sets saitek-yoke-system - yoke with quadrant and found same problem on both sets - unavoidable significant deadzone on pitch axix. I installed all necessary drivers in Win 7, set deadzone in that drivers to zero, but was still present. Vendor said that it is feature, not bug. I did not bought this hardware...
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Robertfm » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:03 am

I resolved the dead zone issue after finding a fix on the net. It involves routing the two pots through a separate inter face http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=204 they supply cables that simply plug in with own power supply as well as the joystick interface. I guess Arduino would work also.
Robertfm

Return to Hardware