Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Extra EA-300 for FlightGear - GPL v.2

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Extra EA-300 for FlightGear - GPL v.2

Postby cobe571 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:17 am

RobAndrew wrote in Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:35 pm:I have to say, this Aircraft looks quite similar to the RV-7! Is it as close as I think it is?

They are both aerobatic planes. For everything else they are completely different.

Van's Aircraft RV-7

First flight 2001

Extra EA-300

First flight May 1988

"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either, but the bumblebee doesn't know anything about the laws of aerodynamics, so it goes ahead and flies anyway."
cobe571

Callsign: cobe571
IRC name: cobe571
Version: 2020.3.8

Postby cobe571 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:59 pm

The EA300 project has finally landed on GitHub.

NOTE: This Extra EA300 is still an evolving project. So many things are still missing. So please be patient. Actually into the code I don't know how to do many things yet and this is the point I have reached now in the development phase of this small plane. I was inspired by the best programmers, who have historically contributed to this extraordinary simulator; studying their work. and it is to them that my thanks really go, for what I have learned and I still have to learn. I also really thank the young people who contribute with their wonderful enthusiasm and their skills, certainly much more up to date than me. I released this model under the GPL license because I hope it can be further developed by anyone who feels like this plane and this way of flying in the skies. I have a visceral love for acrobatic and speed planes. I hope you enjoy it.

Patrizio.

Here is the link -> https://github.com/cobe571/EXTRA-EA300
Last edited by cobe571 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either, but the bumblebee doesn't know anything about the laws of aerodynamics, so it goes ahead and flies anyway."
cobe571

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:51 pm

cobe571 wrote in Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:17 am:They are both aerobatic planes. For everything else they are completely different.

the front gear are certainly different as well as the cockpit canopy and the pilot placement ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby cobe571 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:09 am

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:51 pm:
cobe571 wrote in Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:17 am:They are both aerobatic planes. For everything else they are completely different.

the front gear are certainly different as well as the cockpit canopy and the pilot placement ;)

From what I understand, they are two completely different birds. There is the same difference that exists between a hawk and a duck. Yes, they both fly and can do aerobatics, but they don't look exactly the same.
cobe571

Postby cobe571 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:25 am

Hello everyone,

Meanwhile, I will dedicate myself to the creation of the 3D interiors. I see this aircraft as a development platform sensitive to future improvements. For that reason it has two different FDMs available. Development continues actively on GitHub.

Patrizio
Last edited by cobe571 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
cobe571

Postby cobe571 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:49 pm

I would love to be able to choose to use different pilots, even simultaneously. To have the choice of pilots to use. To have the possibility of being able to hide the pilot/s, which I chose, inside the cockpit, or not. A pilot, it could be a girl with long hair and the other pilot, a different character, with a helmet on his head.

How can I implement / create this code? What can I do to achieve this result?

There are two pilots available right now:

The girl with long hairs and glasses

The girl with Helmet

Thanks in advance for your replies

Patrizio.
cobe571

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi Patrizio,

in the Alouette-III, I have used the existing Amelia model from the Walker project as an animated co-pilot (she breathes, moves and grabs for the controls when you ask her to fly).

So, seeing such an active co-pilot in more planes would be something I'd very much like - and in fact, I was recently contemplating whether we could have someone in an astronaut dress as Shuttle co-pilot.

Is this something you'd also be interested in? I already have some experience in animating pilots (aka, I have the relevant scripts to make it look halfway plausible) - I'd love to do this also with a more detailed 3d model of a co-pilot.
Thorsten

Postby cobe571 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:42 pm:Hi Patrizio,

in the Alouette-III, I have used the existing Amelia model from the Walker project as an animated co-pilot (she breathes, moves and grabs for the controls when you ask her to fly).

Thank you very much Thorsten. As soon as possible I will check the files you suggested.

So, seeing such an active co-pilot in more planes would be something I'd very much like - and in fact, I was recently contemplating whether we could have someone in an astronaut dress as Shuttle co-pilot.

Is this something you'd also be interested in? I already have some experience in animating pilots (aka, I have the relevant scripts to make it look halfway plausible) - I'd love to do this also with a more detailed 3d model of a co-pilot.

I am absolutely interested. Of course, I love astronauts and the Space Shuttle itself.
I will work on a 3D model for another co-pilot to insert into your wonderful Space Shuttle. Consider it already in the creation phase. Soon you will have the new co-pilot.

Kind regards

Patrizio
cobe571

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:25 am

Looks very good Patrizio!

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby vnts » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:32 am

Which character are you thinking of re-making for an astronaut?

cobe571 wrote in Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:49 pm:I would love to be able to choose to use different pilots, even simultaneously. To have the choice of pilots to use. To have the possibility of being able to hide the pilot/s, which I chose, inside the cockpit, or not. A pilot, it could be a girl with long hair and the other pilot, a different character, with a helmet on his head.

How can I implement / create this code? What can I do to achieve this result?

Common (FGdata?) (co)pilots? Base models+extensible system with models of modular components for hair, head, helmets, and such with standardised model placement using predefined hardpoints? For one set of animations of different controls for each different craft body dimensions for both genders may have to be same but with different body shape? I do not know how, or if there are little details that make it hard/impossible, but is it what you are thinking of?

This thread reminds me: On first seeing Amelia in Alouette I was reminded of seeing an episode from Star Trek long ago (google says: "Concerning Flight" from Voyager series). :!: The poignant themes were what a dreamer like da Vinci would make of the future if brought forward in time (he had the idea of rotary flight & using ball bearings for the rotating plate hundreds of years before it bearings were re-discovered in modern era). To see his theories & beliefs [1] [2], and even workable designs like a glider, proven right e.g. "A bird is an instrument working according to mathematical law". To see what he would do with access to futuristic materials, and tech that may let some of his designs like the glider work, and to show his reaction & wonder. Cannot find the most relevant excerpts on youtube but:[3] [4]. Song written by da Vinci "The dream of flight" set to music recently [5].

Kind regards
vnts

Postby cobe571 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:20 am

Octal450 wrote in Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:25 am:Looks very good Patrizio!

Kind Regards,
Josh

Thank you Josh :)

P.
cobe571

Postby cobe571 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:28 am

vnts wrote in Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:32 am:Which character are you thinking of re-making for an astronaut? (...)

It will be a totally new character. So there will be no redoing or remaking. I don't use 3D models created by other people to get my results. I have the ability to do it myself. Said that I love Star Trek!

However in this post we talk about the Extra EA300.

Greetings

P.
cobe571

Postby vnts » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:35 pm

> However in this post we talk about the Extra EA300.
Sorry for offtopic

> I have the ability to do it myself. Said that I love Star Trek!
(By 'characters' I meant re-making real life characters for astronaut faces. Like Amelia copilot for atmospheric craft. e.g. someone else like Isaac Newton(??) for spacecraft. Or a generic male/female face.. No offense intended :mrgreen: )
Kind regards
vnts

Postby cobe571 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:01 pm

vnts wrote in Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:35 pm: (...)
(By 'characters' I meant re-making real life characters for astronaut faces. Like Amelia copilot for atmospheric craft. e.g. someone else like Isaac Newton(??) for spacecraft. Or a generic male/female face.. No offense intended :mrgreen: )
Kind regards

I never thought you could offend me. The face of the new co-pilot will be of pure fantasy. Precisely because in this way it could be anyone, rather than a specific person.

Kind regards

Patrizio.
cobe571

Postby cobe571 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:21 pm

In the meantime I'm working on modeling the internal panel, I also try to diversify, adding some small new details to the liveries pack.

cobe571

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft