Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Ads in the Flightgear.org website

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Ads in the Flightgear.org website

Postby Vinny002 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:02 am

Hi, guys! This is my 1st time on this forum. When I went to the Flightgear.org website to get the Flightgear flight simulator I saw a few ads which doesn’t belong in the Flightgear.org website.

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Re: Ads in the Flightgear.org website

Postby curt » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:33 am

The all knowing google algorithm serves different ads at different times to different people. If you see something that is inappropriate or misleading, maybe you could screen shot it and send it to me. I believe there are tools to block specific ads, but only when I know what they are ... and what I'm shown when I visit the page could be completely different from what you or any one else would see.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby V12 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:30 am

On https://www.flightgear.org/download I have some nasty adds too :

Or second example :

Probably, page is damaged with badly injected adds, because I can see html formatting codes.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:14 pm

no, there are actual misplaced html codes in at least one spot... nothing to do with ads which are completely blocked from here...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Vinny002 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:00 pm

Well, I think people are getting frustrated with those ads which doesn’t belong on the Flightgear.org website!!

Cheers,
Vincent
Vinny002

Postby bugman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:13 pm

One simple way to avoid it would be to come up with another way to fully cover the costs of running the server + static IP address behind it all ;) Or you could use an ad blocker extension in your web browser. But note that using an ad blocker will result in less funds for running the FlightGear websites, so I have mine turned off for all *.flightgear.org or *.sourceforge.net domains.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby FlugHund » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:19 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, AFAIK the site does not receive any funds until someone actually clicks on such an ad. So, just looking at them does not support the site here at all.
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog

Postby bugman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:39 pm

It depends on the advertiser. If the ad is of the CPM-type, rather than CPC, then you are paid for the ad simply being displayed. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_AdSense#Types.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:59 pm

Vinny002 wrote in Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:00 pm:Well, I think people are getting frustrated with those ads which doesn’t belong on the Flightgear.org website!!

are you willing to make monthly donations to help pay for the web site? if yes and there are more of you, the ads might be removed but there has to be someone tossing in $$$ all the time...
ads not related to flying are certainly not welcome but google also sends you ads based on what you see and click on anyway...
in the 4 or 5 years i've been here, you're the first one i recall posting anything about the ads...

NOTE: i don't speak for anyone else; the ultimate decision about removing the ads is up to the site owner.
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to The FlightGear project