Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Soyuz-MS for FlightGear

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Soyuz-MS for FlightGear

Postby lexperience » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:42 pm

"AndersG"
And who can I contact, who deals with comic ships?
lexperience

Postby AndersG » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:48 pm

Thorsten Renk is as far as I know the one most experienced in modelling spacecraft for FlightGear. See the Shuttle threads in this forum, Spaceflight, to find him.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Michat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Wellcome, i believe you should start downloading Vitos work , russian developer of the Vostok-1 and The Space Suttle by our dedicated sci Thorsten. See wiki for references. Sneak into the code of those spacecraft and see how they have structured the stuff.

For your info, there are also Siberian airports in FG for your ground network, made by HerbyW who also put the Suttle in orbit with Yasim.

Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Quick hello - I'm reading this two days after I left on holiday...

So - I'm happy to help with anything you may need, but I won't be around much for the next days.

Basically, the easiest way to do the changing aerodynamics and control-relevant other properties of a spacecraft is to define 'stages' or 'configurations' in JSBSim, put them into separate channels and merge them in the aero section via <switch> statements (conditionals).

For mass of discarded stages, pointmasses can be defined and set to zero.

I've found a hybrid of Nasal scripting and JSBSim very useful - JSBSim is good for frame-to-frame simulations (anything flight and control relevant), Nasal is good for high-level guidance decisions (which pitch target should we fly to get the craft to the abort landing site). The big advantage is that this makes it possible to do complex 'one time' computations, which are impossible to realize in JSBSim as it runs by its nature in every frame..
Thorsten

Postby lexperience » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:31 am

AndersG wrote in Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm:
lexperience wrote in Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:52 pm:A question on a mathematical model of flight dynamics, in what form should it be?

With FlightGear you will probably use JSBSim, there are manuals:
A somewhat current JSBSim manual.
The old JSBSim manual (2011).
There might be newer parts I have not found.

I suppose Thorsten Renk might be the best person to ask for simulating spacecraft in JSBSim. As most people around here or on the mailing list he is a volunteer so the amount of time he can spend on whatever is very much his own choice.

Help me. How to install JSBSim to Ubuntu?
lexperience

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:43 am

JSBSIM comes with FlightGear - you define the fdm in an XML file.

I'm sorry, the learning curve is quite steep... it may be best and easiest for you to take the existing Vostok-1 and modify it - e.g. remove all 3D and systems, leave only the Jsbsim files and then edit the flight dynamics according to your documents.

This project looks interesting, good luck!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:37 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:43 am:[...] the learning curve is quite steep... it may be best and easiest for you to take the existing Vostok-1 and modify it [...]

Indeed. It is usually a good idea to have a look at some existing configuration and modify it. Both the FlightGear flight simulator and the (built-in) JSBSIm flight dynamics model are very, very flexible. Unfortunately this also means they have quite a steep learning curve and take time to understand. Looking at the documentation and figuring out how an existing model work will help a lot.

You can browse through the Vostok-1 files for example in FlightGear's SourceForge repository https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... /Vostok-1/
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Previous

Return to Spaceflight