Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

McDonnell Douglas MD-11 Development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: IDG MD-11 Development

Postby Octal450 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:45 pm

Hello Gentlemen (and Ladies?)!

A rewritten air/pneumatic system shortly will be available and should be merged into master in the next few days following some testing and refinements. I have modeled the GE passenger version. There are minor changes for PW (no reverser air supply, as PW reversers operate hydraulically, not pneumatically). All this will be handled when I rewrite the reversers. The freighter version is also slightly different, and I will simulate that one later once the 3D is available.

The old one was barely there, just a basic pressure with basic logic. This new one is very advanced and includes all valves, bleeds, packs, and isolation valves functioning! The APU bleed and ground air now correctly power ONLY Bleed 2, and the ISOL valves must be opened to pressurize Bleed 1, and Bleed 3 thru Bleed 1. (Inverse of Hydraulic RMP law, 3 over 2 and 1 thru 3 over 2)

The PSC (pneumatic system controller) is simulated, with more logic coming soon before the merge into master. It automatically controls the ISOL valves, as well as the Bleeds/Packs.

I have checked the logic of the Ignition switch during the air start, and I was correct. The packs only switch off automatically on ground, they resume once all 3 are started. If all 3 are not started, after 2 minutes the packs come on again. The ONLY way to start engines is to put the Air System into manual, and turn off the pack on the engine you want to start. I will double check this logic again once I do the ignition system, but from the summary I read in the air system manuals, that is correct.

I will probably do Cabin Pressure or Fuel next or possibly some smaller system.

And lastly, more legacy non-IntegratedSystems code was removed.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Ysop » Sun May 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Josh,

this sounds absolutely amazing and could draw me to MD-11 longhauling.

Really looks like you give us years to experience the depth of your aircraft's systems and we will always find something new.
Ysop

Version: 2020.3.18

Postby Octal450 » Sun May 26, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi, awesome to hear! This will definitely motivate me to work faster ;)

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon May 27, 2019 1:57 am

Pneumatics now has the ISOL DISAG, Pack FLOW, Bleed PRESS lights, momentary, and status lights working. I also improved the timings of the PRESS, FLOW, and pressures based on info my MD-11 pilot told me.

I also refined the packs bleed draw and will work on temperature and pack flow econ/pax sel.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri May 31, 2019 11:37 pm

I've uploaded the latest patch to the MD-11 which fixes a set of severe bugs in the ignition system (which will be rewritten later).

It is as follows:
* Missing conditional on ignition check causing strange behavior of the pack's command when in automatic mode
* Sometimes, Ignition B did not cause igniters to fire
* Incorrect order of reset on panel state load causing engines to become impossible to start after loading certain states.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:03 am

Last MD-11 DetailedSystems branch patch now has much more detailed automatic pneumatic system.

ISOLs now switched on in correct order for loss of pressure. Pack 2 now switched off by ESC when APU bleed on when both other bleed sources are off. (I don't know why it does this, but it does according to my references)

If I don't find any bugs, it will go into master shortly!

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:33 am

Now the new pneumatic is merged into master!!! If you find a bug, why not tell me, that I can fix it very faster!!!!!!!! :mgreen:

Some things still to do, but already its way more realistic than the previous!

Keep the blue side up!
Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:02 pm

Shift+Scroll now will adjust ALT by 1000, VS by 1000, HDG by 10 and IAS by 10 or MACH by 0.01
Shift+Click SPD, HDG, or ALT knob will now do a PULL function in addition to Middle Click for those who can't middle click (laptops + Mac)

If you all like this, I will roll it out to the rest of the aircraft's bindings where applicable.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:27 am

The MD-11's fuel system is progressing.
I am simulating all Tanks, including the split wing tanks.
As well as a full Fuel System Controller
Proper scheduling and balencing of fuel

I am planning an "easy refuel" system. You can choose real-time, or instant, and it will correct load the tanks with the amount you select.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:50 am

I fixed the quantity indicators.

This stuff is in DetailedSystems branch but DO NOT TRY IT because it will not start the engine #2. That is because I didn't yet make the fuel autologic. It must be started manually from the property tree. When the system is done, all will work as expected.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby wlbragg » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:53 pm

In case no one has said this lately, thank you for all your hard work on this incredible simulation. One of the most detailed aircraft in FG. Someday I will take a day (or week) and learn to fly this incredible aircraft properly.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Thank you Wayne! I've been extra motivated on this aircraft considering no-other sim has a good copy right now since PMDG pulled theirs from their store years ago.

In other news, the FMS has also been started. I have the SVG ready for pages. As soon as I finish up the detailed systems, I will be implementing my new Canvas framework which will give better FPS, and then implementing the FMS, MCDU, and new ND.

Also, again revised the fuel indicators, now they are the right color and the integrity lighting works correctly.
As you can see everything switch is properly. Most of them work, there are a few that need more work still, but I will be getting there shortly.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:06 pm

Fuel System schedule in action
Lower Aux feeding Upper Aux, Upper Aux, feeding Tanks 1, 2, and 3, Tanks 1, 2, and 3 feed Engine pipes :mrgreen:
800+ lines of JSBsim only, NO NASAL (except init/reset and IDG Acconfig support)

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:01 am

Hi "wrg" and "LH-9920",

I have just revisted all your comments about the fuel system. All behavior will be correctly shortly!

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:56 am

Hi guys!
Pumps, Fill valves (with arm logic), and aux transfer, and all seperate fwd and aft transfer and boost pumps modelled independently and correctly. This is true for the behavior a fwd tank boost pumps, and a lower aux tank trans pumps when in AUTO or MANUAL modes. Where in MANUAL, they follow the PUMPS and TRANS switches respectively, while in auto mode, when the PUMPS and TRANS switches are commanded on, the FSC decides whether to actually run the fwd tank boost pumps, and the lower aux tank trans pumps.

Here you can see the controller automatically shutting off the trans pumps for the AUX tank when the level reaches the threshold. It also closes and disarms the FILL valves.

More to come!

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft