Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Announcing NEW Boeing 777 'Seattle' - Pre-Release

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Announcing NEW Boeing 777 'Seattle' - Pre-Release

Postby Isaak » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:06 am

Hi all,

I did an update on the 777 in FGaddon/trunk:

- The 777 now has 8.33 kHz radio's. The right radio is broken, probably because of some bug in the core code, but should be fixed soon. That's the reason why I didn't commit to the release branches (yet). You can disable the tooltips in the 777/Aircraft settings menu.
- you can now save your fuel level between sessions (in the same menu). The system is not yet perfect, because I couldn't figure out how to set the individual tank levels without the fdm overwriting them on initialisation, but the functionality is there and enables me to explore state saving a bit further.
- the 777 is upgraded to YASim version 2018.1. Be aware that you'll need FG 2018.1 or more recent to avoid incompatibility issues. Please report any bugs you encounter because of this update!

Kind regards,

Isaak
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:02 am

Isaak,
I added the "Acconfig Persistent Settings" technology for the FBW bug. Maybe you want to add your persistent props to it (systems.nas, at the bottom) and it'll all be saved between all the 777 -set files.
Make sure in the dialog you also add a writeSettings binding as I did in the fbwsettings dialog XML.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind Regards,
josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby merspieler » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:22 am

Just an idea for further state saving... save the wear down of the components and make the fault probability dependent on this... eg. tire wear is 0% and from touch down to touch down it gets more... the tires can be renewed in a menu... if you don't renew the tires, they get more likely to blow at landing
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby V12 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 am

Can JSBSIM simulate blowed tire ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby merspieler » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:07 am

Not sre about JSBSIM but the 777 runs on YASIM... and even if it doesn't exists yet, it would be an interresting new feature. Anyway, the tires are just an example... this could applay to many things... those which need often maintainance are the most interresting tho (other example could be tire pressure, oil and hydraulic levels or the brakes)
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby Isaak » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:14 pm

@merspieler: That would be a nice feature! I 'll definitly look into that, but I 'm still learning as I go, so please don't expect this to be implemented soon. Blowing tires is quite easy to do FDM-wise, the only thing I can't do myself at the moment is let them visually blow, because that would need a higher modelling skill than I have acquired atm. But thanks for the idea! The tire wear can even be made dependent on the landing performance: harder landings and strong braking wear down the tires faster than gentle landings and braking. If I can do that, I can in the mean time implement a logic that shows you how hard/soft your landing was (as some other aircraft developers have implemented already). And that brings a whole new set of possibilities... this is also how I came to store the fuel level: I was making the tooltip behaviour persistent and got distracted by wanting to keep the fuel level between flights :p I 've learned a lot of new things yesterday, making it even more rewarding to continue developing :)

First thing I 'm going to do now is fix the right radio, Torsten pointed me in the right direction for that on the mailing list.
Then I will make the aircraft weight persistent, because at the moment you start with an empty plane and the 777 is overpowered when flying empty, making it more difficult for new pilots to learn to fly it correctly, so I will add a simple logic that puts some standard cargo/pax in when you start the first time and/or don't want to keep the cargo of the previous flight.

@Josh: I 'll check your persistence logic, maybe it can do what wasn't possible with the standard persistence functionality. For the tooltips this isn't necessary, as it just works with the basic logic, but I 'll definitly look into it for the fuel levels.

Kind regards,

Isaak
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Postby merspieler » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:17 pm

Glad, you liked it...
Soon? as X-mas present it's soon enough ;-)
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby merspieler » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Oh... one other thing that I've noticed long ago but never reported... the gear on the -300 doesn't behave corretly on TO... see this video
Nia (you&, she/her)

merspieler

Postby Isaak » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks to point me to that! I don't know if/when I 'm going to find time for that, but it is now added to my (getting longer by the day) todo-list :)
Isaak

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Dear Isaak,
Any property which controls a consistent setting can be added to the saved XML in 3 lines. One to init it in the default state, one to write it to the saved file, and one to read it. Let me know if you need an example.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Isaak » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:58 am

Thanks Josh! I think I'll modify it today :-)
Isaak

Postby Isaak » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi Josh, to store properties like fuel level, I 'd need to write the properties at shutdown of the sim. When I tie it to the dialog, the properties are off course only written when ticking the checkbox. I see two options: write a small piece of nasal that executes before the exit command, or use a timer to write to the file every now and then (I think every 5 seconds or so should be ok, no need to access the file at frame-/fdm-rate.) I have no idea how to do the first option, but I don't know if it is good practice to write to a file so often at runtime. What is your opinion?

I tried to use the default userarchive approach for the fuel level, because that is exactly doing my first proposed solution, but somehow I can't get to load the fuel-level properties on startup, because they are overwritten by YASim.

Thanks for your advice!
Isaak

Postby WoodSTokk » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:51 pm

Make a new nasal file (or include it in a existing file).
Code: Select all
setlistener("/sim/signals/fdm-initialized", func {
    if (getprop("/consumables/fuel/fuel_overlay") == 1) {
# if we initialising a state overlay, then use pre-programmed fuel levels
        var fuelL = getprop("/consumables/fuel/fuel_overlay_0");
        var fuelR = getprop("/consumables/fuel/fuel_overlay_1");
        print("Setting fuel levels to ", fuelL, "lbs in left tank and ", fuelR, "lbs in right tank.");
    }
    else {
# Read old fuel levels
        var fuelL = getprop("/consumables/fuel/fuel-gal_us-0");
        var fuelR = getprop("/consumables/fuel/fuel-gal_us-1");
# make sure we don't pass along a nil! (first run with this model)
        if(fuelL == nil or fuelR == nil) {
            fuelL = 371;
            fuelR = 371;
            print("No stored fuel-levels found. Setting to full.");
        }
        else {
            print("Old fuel-levels restored. You have ", fuelL, "lbs in left tank and ", fuelR, "lbs in right tank aboard.");
        }
    }

# Override default "full tanks" with read values
    setprop("/consumables/fuel/tank[0]/level-gal_us", fuelL);
    setprop("/consumables/fuel/tank[1]/level-gal_us", fuelR);

settimer(update_systems, 2);
}

var update_systems = func() {
    setprop("/consumables/fuel/fuel-gal_us-0", getprop("consumables/fuel/tank[0]/level-gal_us"));
    setprop("/consumables/fuel/fuel-gal_us-1", getprop("consumables/fuel/tank[1]/level-gal_us"));
    settimer(update_systems, 2);
}

Make sure that you save "/consumables/fuel/fuel-gal_us-0" and "/consumables/fuel/fuel-gal_us-1".
To save the fuel, set "/consumables/fuel/fuel_overlay" to 'true'.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:00 pm

Hi Isaak,
It's designed for settings, not saving the parameters of the aircraft. That could be bad to go throughout the various -sets.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Isaak » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Thanks for the pointers, Josh and Woodstokk. I made my own xml based on Josh's work, but I tied it to the sim/aero property for the xml name. The new xml only stores the fuel levels, the fuel persistent setting is stored using the default userarchive="y" functionality, as that only needs 2 lines of code :) If you 'd have craft specific persistent settings in the future, feel free to use it, the code is in 777.nas. There's only one issue left, and that is that YASim uses a tiny bit of fuel (less than 1 lbs per tank) on startup. I think it is loaded by default with the engines on and they are only switched off a fraction of a moment later. I used part of Woodstokk's solution to make sure we don't get any error on the first init of this model with the fuel persistent state active. My nasal file is only triggered on exit or re-init, using the signals, so there doesn't run any code while flying and a timer isn't needed.
Isaak

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft