Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

F-16 upgraded to 'production' status

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: F-16 upgraded to 'production' status

Postby flyer5 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:35 pm

Shoot.
flyer5

Postby erik » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:00 am

I've updated the f16 considerably by adding more cockpit instruments, new and improved undercarriage, moving exhaust nozzle, proper leading-edge-flap and trailing-edge-flap positions, added actuator delays and differential horizontal tail deflections.

The new version is available here

It would be nice to get this version to work with FlightGear 1.0, so if someone notices any problems, please report them.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby enricogranata » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:16 am

I had a small flight around BIRK. the Cockpit view seems to require a lot of resources (my fps was constantly below 10), whilst I can reach 80 fps using "helicopter view" (ATI cards aren't the best ones around probably)
the thing I really miss out is the default hud: the custom one is tooooo little to be of any help (unless you heavily overzoom). I think you should somehow let users choose between the standard F16 hud and the default one (I am a HUD fanatic and almost always fly with reference to the HUD, so probably I am a little bit influenced in my judgment :lol: )
Callsign: EG10485
Aircraft: B737-300, B747-400, Mig-29, Carreidas, PC7
Airports: LIRN, LIRF, LFPG, BIRK and many other European ones
Programmer of: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fgfspm/ - FlightGear Package Manager
enricogranata

Postby erik » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:58 am

You got a point, I still have to deselect parts of the aircraft that would be invisible anyhow (retracted gear is one such case), I'll keep that in mind.

Adding a default HUD might be a good idea, so far I have been concentrating on making it as real as possible (although the HUD does require an update to achieve that) but I see no reason not to make life a little easier with just one key stroke, for those who want that.

Thanks for the input.
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby flyer5 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:21 pm

You have a bug with your FDM. An error message occurs that says, "failed to tie property fcs/elevator-position to object methods." Also, the package is missing the textures for some instruments. It says "Failed to open "...Data/Aircraft/f16/Models/..Panels/Textures/Instruments.rgb" for reading.
flyer5

Postby erik » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:22 am

I think I have to install FlightGear 1.0 to see why this is happening, it's working properly with FlightGear CVS. Unfortunately both error messages don't provide enough information to solve it right away.
erik

Postby lqiyun » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi!

Alright, erm, I was flyin' around with the f-16 Fighting Falcon. Awesome improvement I must say, from the old old old FG1.0-Compatible version..

However, the cockpit might need a little more improvement..

Not sure if this might help.

Also, the HUD seems a little.... strange.. Cuz there was once which I flew on FalconSP (another flight sim) during this "Fighter Pilot Programme" thing organized by my school.. I'll try to take a screenshot and post it up on next Monday or Tuesday.

Cheers,
QiYun

P.S. Is it possible to model weapons for the f-16? And I might wanna try my hand at making the gun, once I've got the hang of NASAL scripting, :)
QiYun

Flightgear Callsign: Old-Man

Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.
— Baron Manfred von Richthofen.
lqiyun

Postby HHS » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:53 pm

Making a 3d-cockpit is very, very hard. If you have high-resolution photos and you can use them beside reference as textures, it its o.k. But if not, it will be hard.

That's why the current cockpit in CVS looks pretty similar- maybe not perfect like the f14b, but much better than before:
fgfs-screen-1149.jpeg

Making a HUD is difficult as well- and the real characteristics of the HUD isn't simulated in FGFS yet.
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby lqiyun » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:22 pm

HHS wrote:Making a 3d-cockpit is very, very hard. If you have high-resolution photos and you can use them beside reference as textures, it its o.k. But if not, it will be hard.

That's why the current cockpit in CVS looks pretty similar- maybe not perfect like the f14b, but much better than before:
fgfs-screen-1149.jpeg

Making a HUD is difficult as well- and the real characteristics of the HUD isn't simulated in FGFS yet.

Ok, sure, I'll try to take higher res screenshots of the 3d cockpit in FalconSP... According to the trainer, South Korean, American and Singaporean Air Forces uses FalconSP (i'm not very sure, but that's what he says :) ) thus, it should be quite accurate.. So, i'll try to take more screenshots, and, will post them up on monday :)

Cheers,
QiYun

P.S. I'm not sure whether computer-generated graphics are okay, but, hmm, i think they might be of help.. :) And good job on the F-16. It's really great (though not perfect, as nothing is perfect XD)
QiYun

Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.
lqiyun

Postby lqiyun » Fri May 01, 2009 11:01 am

Hi, all!

I've been playing around with the 'f16-submodels.xml' and David Culp's aircrafts and found a way to make the f-16 fighting falcon be able to fire BULLETS! :)

So, yeah, my itchy fingers managed to edit the 'f16-submodels.xml' and yep, the f-16 fires now :)

If i'm not wrong, (i think i've read the copyrights clearly enough), the smoke, bullets etc found in the Davepack are GPL'd and, yeah, so i copied them into the "$FGROOT/Aircraft/f16/Models/guns" directory..

So...., here's the f16, in a zipped folder. EDIT: (i re-downloaded from CVS today and edited it, today as well..). http://cid-8118d1998d506a35.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/f16.zip

EDIT: And, for those who want the original version, you can download it off http://cid-8118d1998d506a35.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/f16|_original.zip (i just re-downloaded it from CVS today.)

I tested it out, and there seems to be no problems, so, er, the developer(s) of the f-16, you mind taking a look, then commiting to CVS? :)

Oh, and thanks David Culp for the files in ur 'DavePack', folder, cuz that's where i took the bullets from :)
Also, for the tracer.ac file, that one i took it from the a-10 thunderbolt too, so, yep, thanks to the developers of the A-10 Thunderbolt too! :)

Cheers,
QiYun :)

EDIT: P.S. David Culp told me via email that it's alright for me to use his smoke as a submodel and GPL it, so i guess it's alright :)
Last edited by lqiyun on Sat May 02, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
QiYun

lqiyun

Postby bnex10 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:26 pm

Is it committed to CVS?
Callsign: Ion
bnex10

Callsign: Ion
Version: Git

Postby lqiyun » Sat May 02, 2009 6:20 am

Alexis said that he hasn't tested it yet..... So, I don't think that it's been committed to CVS yet. Still, you can download it and try shooting :)

EDIT: Just press "e" to shoot (lower case "e")

Cheers,
Last edited by lqiyun on Sat May 02, 2009 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
QiYun

lqiyun

Postby erik » Sat May 02, 2009 8:22 am

I did look at it but it seems to be added to an older model of the F-16. There are too many changes to CVS, which makes me uncomfortable to commit it as is.

It would be nice to get a patch that shows the difference between the unmodified and modified version you have locally.

Erik
erik

Postby DFaber » Sat May 02, 2009 8:38 am

lqiyun wrote:Just press "w" to shoot (lower case "w")

Please don't use w for shooting. Most Aircraft that use a key binding for shooting use the "e" key.

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:
http://flightgear-de.net

my 3D-Art:
https://www.sol2500.net
DFaber

Version: GIT

Postby lqiyun » Sat May 02, 2009 9:32 am

DFaber wrote:
lqiyun wrote:Just press "w" to shoot (lower case "w")

Please don't use w for shooting. Most Aircraft that use a key binding for shooting use the "e" key.

Greetings

roger, I've changed the key to 'e'. :)

erik wrote:I did look at it but it seems to be added to an older model of the F-16. There are too many changes to CVS, which makes me uncomfortable to commit it as is.

It would be nice to get a patch that shows the difference between the unmodified and modified version you have locally.

Erik

And, yep, i've downloaded the latest version of the f-16 from the CVS today. :)

This is the edited f-16 that should shoot if you press the 'e' key. http://cid-8118d1998d506a35.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/f16.zip

This is the original f-16. http://cid-8118d1998d506a35.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/f16%7C_original.zip

David Culp has informed me via email that I can use his smoke textures, so, yep. It's in. :)

And, one more thing. The F-16s in those zipped folders above are downloaded and edited today. They should be the freshest ones from the CVS server :)

Also, since they're edited today, I might not have the time to do any testing, as I have quite a lotta stuff to do today, so, yea, someone dun mind help me debug? :)

Cheers,
QiYun

lqiyun

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft